Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memcpy

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
Yahoo!: the search engine corporation that tries to gain customers by giving them malware (the Yahoo! Toolbar).

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
This is news? Look at it this way, if there was a month in the last eight years during which Yahoo was not actively pursuing and discussing making this change with representatives that Apple, I will eat my hat.

memcpy

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
So much Yahoo hate.. I'm a little (only a little) surprised, considering how much Google hate typically flies around here. Has anyone actually used their search much lately?

I, for one, will freely admit that I don't know how good/bad yahoo search currently is. I was actually a holdout with yahoo search for a while. Didn't fully switch to Google till about 2006 or 2007. Yahoo services seem to be looking pretty impressive lately and, although I admittedly don't use any of them, I think they could pull company around.

Their search is bad, and they kinda ruined their other services as well. I used to use Yahoo! Answers as a last resort sometimes and have gotten some good answers on it, but they've gone all Google/Facebook on their sites and messed with the layout.

----------

Not any news. I've been getting emails from hacked Yahoo! (and MSN) accounts since I started using email.

Geminist

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
So much Yahoo hate.. I'm a little (only a little) surprised, considering how much Google hate typically flies around here. Has anyone actually used their search much lately?

I, for one, will freely admit that I don't know how good/bad yahoo search currently is. I was actually a holdout with yahoo search for a while. Didn't fully switch to Google till about 2006 or 2007. Yahoo services seem to be looking pretty impressive lately and, although I admittedly don't use any of them, I think they could pull company around.

Being someone who used Yahoo Mail since ages ago, their service have actually got worst. Their mail page is slow, buggy, counter intuitive and the search function doesn't work. And they previously tried to charge me for using Yahoo Mail.

Based on this alone, I don't have much faith in their other services.

bierdybard

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2014
Those of you badmouthing this really have no clue.

Yahoo is in the middle of the same transformation Apple went through 10-15 years ago.

Speaking of which... if we are going to post a story about Yahoo, could we at least use the current logo?

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
Apple just needs to buy Yahoo, sever its ties with Microsoft/Bing, and use the existing team to create its own search engine.

I am surprised that Apple hasn't jumped into the search engine business yet. I would have expected them to enter that marketplace long before I would have expected them to enter the mapping marketplace...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Now we know what Ive and Mayer talk about at these black tie events. :D

16kxfk4.jpg

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
I would love to be able to use DuckDuckGo as the default browser.

Can I hear an Amen to that?! AMEN!

I don't trust Google further than I can throw it, and I don't think that their mobile search is great. I hate searching for images on the iPhone. For these reasons, I am not opposed to switching to Yahoo... But DuckDuckGo would be pretty awesome as an alternative.

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I rather yahoo or bing than google for privacy reasons but they also can't bring enough results like google does for some of my research :/

memcpy

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2014
Those of you badmouthing this really have no clue.

Yahoo is in the middle of the same transformation Apple went through 10-15 years ago.

Do you have any money placed on that bet?

----------

I rather yahoo or bing than google for privacy reasons but they also can't bring enough results like google does for some of my research :/

Why would Yahoo! and Bing protect your privacy any more than Google? Keep in mind that Bing's the site that used to automatically connect to your Facebook account without asking (of course through a deal with Facebook).

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Google is king

Leave it at that.

Steve jobs would agree

How can someone believe in this crap? Google just released their earnings. As we expected, they were bellow expectations. Search is their way to deliver those ads. Without that, there's no Google.

Search is so important and can be so useful if done right. A company like Apple could and would reinvigorate the space, and provide a better experience to their costumers, with better integration between services.

Heck, it is happening with Maps. Search is much more important than Maps. I bet they are still learning, but it will happen.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
This is something that would actually get me to switch away from the iPhone if Yahoo became the default and there was no way of switching.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Screw Yahoo. Marissa Mayer is the worst CEO in history. She has single handedly ruined Yahoo Mail, Sports, Finance, Groups and every aspect of the company. Their website is the buggiest I have ever seen, but, hey, they do have dancing icons to make the site even slower

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.