Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apple is going to introduce Spotlight web search service soon.

Ive: "We think search is an experience. It is not about generating lot of results, its about generating the right results. True search is not about the absence ads its about bringing order to the results"

Ive is not even an amateur in search. He is nobody. With Google search I can find web pages/blogs/news that have been posted on the Internet just a few hours ago. With Ive's search I would be able to find neatly displayed results from outdated data.

Aug 26, 2008
How can someone believe in this crap? Google just released their earnings. As we expected, they were bellow expectations. Search is their way to deliver those ads. Without that, there's no Google.

Search is so important and can be so useful if done right. A company like Apple could and would reinvigorate the space, and provide a better experience to their costumers, with better integration between services.

Heck, it is happening with Maps. Search is much more important than Maps. I bet they are still learning, but it will happen.

Funny, I'd have to respond "how can someone believe in this crap" as well.

lhotka

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
What we need is to be able to pick our own search engine, not have one forced down our throat. Give us a choice - google, bing, yahoo, duckduckgo, etc.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
i hate google as much as anyone with quite possibly the best influence on the internet google is just the best at search hands down.

I use google mail and google drive and search these are the only things i ever wanted and got from google at the cost of my info being pushed out for ads that i then block.

you only have to look at the yahoo homepage to know why this is a bad idea for apple.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Why all the love for Google? :confused:

I like Google once I installed the "Don't Track Me Google" browser extension but I didn't think many people used it.

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
Apple just needs to buy Yahoo, sever its ties with Microsoft/Bing, and use the existing team to create its own search engine.

I liked your comment, but now i think Apple own search is a bad idea..Cydia Search is a better choice for Apple users

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ive is not even an amateur in search. He is nobody. With Google search I can find web pages/blogs/news that have been posted on the Internet just a few hours ago. With Ive's search I would be able to find neatly displayed results from outdated data.

Ive's search? You mean Yahoo's search? They're the ones pitching it to Apple.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Why all the love for Google? :confused:

I like Google once I installed the "Don't Track Me Google" browser extension but I didn't think many people used it.
You're not serious, are you? :confused: People use Google so much it became an official word in the dictionary to represent searching the internet. "Just Google it."

Please no, for the sake of humanity
This. I can't stand Yahoo search. You can, of course, simply change it in the settings if don't like it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What we need is to be able to pick our own search engine, not have one forced down our throat. Give us a choice - google, bing, yahoo, duckduckgo, etc.
This is something that would actually get me to switch away from the iPhone if Yahoo became the default and there was no way of switching.
Guess I'll just change the search provider to Google when I get a new phone.
A search engine can easily be changed, the choices are certainly limited, but you can choose a different one other than a default one.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Apple would never go for something that dumb. Well maybe they would? After all we saw then dump Google Maps for their own broken product. Maybe they learned nothing from that disaster?

Yahoo really has very little reason to exist. They are nuts if they think Apple will go for this, not if they learned anything from the Maps issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yahoo!: the search engine corporation that tries to gain customers by giving them malware (the Yahoo! Toolbar).
Yeah, because the other search engines like Google or Bing don't have a toolbar and/or don't try to get you to install it in various ways and/or don't track what you do with it?

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Screw Yahoo. Marissa Mayer is the worst CEO in history. She has single handedly ruined Yahoo Mail, Sports, Finance, Groups and every aspect of the company. Their website is the buggiest I have ever seen, but, hey, they do have dancing icons to make the site even slower

Well yes thats completely screwed up. I only use the search box, but never used the landing page after Yahoo completely screwed that up. Forget trying to use it with an iPad.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple would never go for something that dumb. Well maybe they would? After all we saw then dump Google Maps for their own broken product. Maybe they learned nothing from that disaster?

Yahoo really has very little reason to exist. They are nuts if they think Apple will go for this, not if they learned anything from the Maps issue.
How does using Yahoo! for search equate to Apple going with their own brand new and never before used service for Maps?

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Can I hear an Amen to that?! AMEN!

I don't trust Google further than I can throw it, and I don't think that their mobile search is great. I hate searching for images on the iPhone. For these reasons, I am not opposed to switching to Yahoo... But DuckDuckGo would be pretty awesome as an alternative.

Yes I would love to be able to default to DDG on a non-jailbroken phone too.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yahoo Weather is always wrong where I live, sometimes 10 degrees (C) off. They don't seem to do things particularly well so I think google should stay default search engine for the time being.
Technically Yahoo! gets its weather data from Weather Underground/The Weather Channel.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Apple just needs to buy Yahoo, sever its ties with Microsoft/Bing, and use the existing team to create its own search engine.
Apple just needs to buy Yahoo, give Flickr back to Stewart Butterfield and Caterina Fake, and flush everything else down the toilet.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You're not serious, are you? :confused: People use Google so much it became an official word in the dictionary to represent searching the internet. "Just Google it."
That might have been in reference to the extension rather than Google's search itself.
This. I can't stand Yahoo search. You can, of course, simply change it in the settings if don't like it.
That.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the "Don't Track Me Google" extension. I didn't think that many people used that extension. Without it, Google injects its own tracking URL with every click.

It is the "Don't Track Me Google" extension that makes google usable, IMO.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Marissa Mayer is a very competent person. She lead Google in a number of key areas including search at one time before being appointed the CEO of Yahoo.

If she believes Yahoos search is up to the task then I'd like to see it given a fair chance.

She lost credibility with the "lets delete inactive email accounts" scheme. Despite their best claims, the process failed a small amount of users and their CS team does not know how to fix the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.