Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wclyffe

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2009
I can confirm this as mine was running sluggish and slow; BlackMagic speed tests revealed below 100 MB/s and kept fluctuating lower and lower with every read. Once I enabled TRIM using that program, it is back up to 400-500 MB/s but sometimes it fluctuates down which is weird, don't understand why that is happening.

I am running a MacBookPro (mid 2012) with a Samsung 830 ssd and right after I installed Yosemite, I tested the ssd with the Black Magic app and consistently got 510mbs/read and 445mbs/write speeds. I left TRIM OFF for 4 or 5 days (not sure I wanted to deal with the Kext-signing issue) and restested the ssd. The speeds had lowered to 405mbs/read and 335mbs/write speeds. Lastly, I have turned TRIM ON now and I am right back to where I use to be. There is no question in my mind it made a huge difference in speed in a fairly short period of time. By the way, I am using about 50% of my 256gb ssd.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
Microsoft doesn't make their money selling a small line of computers either, it's not a fair comparison.

I don't like it either, but I'm sure in Apple's mind it is making the OS more resistant to hacking and 3rd party manipulation. In today's society sounds like a good idea, but for people like us who do modify our systems, it blows.

It truly kills off previous Mac's then if one wants to use new security features.

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2008
I, too, have bricked my MacBook pro by enabling TRIM. Trying to repair in terminal and when I get to the last command, kextcache -u /volumes/"my drive" I get a drive locked; waiting for lock.
What does that mean? And how do I unlock it?

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I have a 2012 mini and just installed a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD and on it a fresh install of Yosemite. Blackmagic tested around 250/250 read/write.

After installing and enabling Trim Enabler it tested at 475/454. Wow.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenApple29

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
I have a 2012 mini and just installed a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD and on it a fresh install of Yosemite. Blackmagic tested around 250/250 read/write.

After installing and enabling Trim Enabler it tested at 475/454. Wow.

Michael

Glad to hear that!
I'm waiting for a 500gb Samsung evo in a couple of days so will see how it goes

----------

Whats the best option/procedure when installing a new SSD (non apple) Samsung 840 evo on a mac mini?I mean...estoring from back up and the enabling TrimEnabler?

Last edited by a moderator:

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
What is the disadvantage to disabling the kext signing?

The obvious issue is that you could then have malicious kexts loaded on (so less secure), and any NVRAM/PRAM reset could leave your computer unable to start up (from http://www.cindori.org/trim-enabler-and-yosemite/):

The kext-signing setting is stored in your Mac’s NVRAM/PRAM, a sort of flash memory inside your Mac. This memory can be reset either by accident or by intention (usually by troubleshooting issues with your hardware), causing kext-signing setting to re-activate.

If you try to boot a Trim-enabled system with the kext-signing setting re-activated, you will be met by a gray screen with a stop sign

Last edited:

emagsamurai

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
So enabling TRIM would leave us no more vulnerable than with previous versions of the OS?

Just trying to make sure I understand the consequences clearly.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
So enabling TRIM would leave us no more vulnerable than with previous versions of the OS?

Just trying to make sure I understand the consequences clearly.

That's exactly what - I don't really see that as a problem, but I'm more concerned about the PRAM/NVRAM reset that will leave my machine unbootable and then having to mess with a few commands to get it working again.

emagsamurai

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
That's exactly what - I don't really see that as a problem, but I'm more concerned about the PRAM/NVRAM reset that will leave my machine unbootable and then having to mess with a few commands to get it working again.

I agree, but it's good to make an informed decision.

How often would we expect to have a(n) PRAM/NVRAM reset?

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I agree, but it's good to make an informed decision.

How often would we expect to have a(n) PRAM/NVRAM reset?

Not often, although that's one of my go-to troubleshooting things (blame it on the old days of using Macs). Th newer ones really don't need it, although I'm not sure if it's also tied in with the power management memory. That being said, I think the whole TRIM/no TRIM decision really falls under individual usage and preference at this point — there's technical reasons for and against.

sharon22

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
I've had my mind set on the Samsung 840 Pro.... and now they just came out with a BLAZING fast Samsung 850 Pro!

But, for me, I might end up buying the "Angelbird WRK" because according to their website, Apple recognizes it and Apple's Trim is enabled!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Not often, although that's one of my go-to troubleshooting things (blame it on the old days of using Macs). Th newer ones really don't need it, although I'm not sure if it's also tied in with the power management memory. That being said, I think the whole TRIM/no TRIM decision really falls under individual usage and preference at this point — there's technical reasons for and against.

no there isn't, only for

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Curious... What technical reasons are against Trim specifically?

no there isn't, only for

I didn't mean in regards to the drive itself (I agree that if you're looking purely at the operation of the drive itself, there's no reason not to use it), but rather how it has become more of a pain with Yosemite. Obviously, it has always been a hack of sorts, but disabling a security feature (kext signing) that could leave your computer unbootable is quite a bit different than TRIM enabling in the past.

Yes, I know you could always boot into the recovery partition, and there really aren't any "threats" if you disable kext signing at this point. The thing for me is that a tool like TRIM Enabler (or Chameleon SSD Optimizer) would be a recommended purchase for anyone who bought an SSD upgrade. The tools are easy enough for non-technical folks to understand and use, and I rarely have to play tech support for SSD questions after that. I get that it's rare that they'd run the battery beyond all the way down on a MacBook or reset the PRAM, but I'm not looking forward to that phone call when they'd get not only get a lesson in recovery mode, but also the Terminal.

So yeah, for most people browsing this thread and ones like it, go for it, but Apple has made it a bit different for those of us who are supporting folks that don't mind clicking a button or two after an update, but now could go into full panic mode because they're seeing a "no" sign at boot.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Yosemite and TRIM

how to enable TRIM for non-Apple SSDs just with some commands via terminal:

http://www.return1.at/trim-enabler-for-osx/

there's also a free tool from user 'Marchrius' and a help thread over at insanelymac in case you prefer a tool and don't want to use Cindori's shareware.

Why not spend $10 for something so important when using expensive 3rd party SSD's in even more EXPENSIVE Apple products????

Beats me....... Not logical at all!

Let's grant Cindori a couple a bugs for his work on his app and his EXCELLENT customer service!

Chapeau to Cindori & Cheers to all! ;)

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Why not spend $10 for something so important when using expensive 3rd party SSD's in even more EXPENSIVE Apple products????

Beats me....... Not logical at all!

Let's grant Cindori a couple a bugs for his work on his app and his EXCELLENT customer service!

Chapeau to Cindori & Cheers to all! ;)
It's not even $10. You can do the basic Trim Enabler stuff using the free version. I liked that approach and will be upgrading to the paid version for the extra features.

Mike

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Yosemite and TRIM

It's not even $10. You can do the basic Trim Enabler stuff using the free version. I liked that approach and will be upgrading to the paid version for the extra features.

Mike

I know there's a free version, but going the free-way is not always my cup of tea! I'm very much into supporting a developer for his/her hard & good work! I dont't encounter devs that much, that will respond to Apple's hardware support nightmare as fast as Cindori!

Cheers and thanks in advance for supporting Cindori! ;)

Last edited:

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Thanks for all the awesome support :D

It's thanks to you that I have been able to continue working on this stuff. And I'm not stopping here. I will be showing off the next generation disk utility for Mac OS X in December. Stay tuned ;)

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Thanks for all the awesome support :D

It's thanks to you that I have been able to continue working on this stuff. And I'm not stopping here. I will be showing off the next generation disk utility for Mac OS X in December. Stay tuned ;)

A well deserved support from us users of Trim Enabler! Not every Mac user is at ease to use terminal for tweaking their OSX.

A simple, yet very effective app to beat the Apple 'hackers'! And that's exactly what Trim Enabler is for! :D

I'm always looking forward to yet another updated/upgraded release of your app! Keep up the good works! :cool:

Cheers

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Wow, I just found this thread having just bought a Samsung EVO for a Yosemite'd Mac Mini. I'm used to Apple pulling some dickish moves but this is ridiculous....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.