Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Well, there's a weird bug in the Mavericks bootloader that causes about a 10-20 second delay whenever I have an external USB harddrive connected to my iMac. So Yosemite technically boots a lot faster, not having this issue for some reason.

In a fair fight without anything connected to my computer, boot times are identical.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
You're posting in a forum as an individual who hasn't even been here for a year. Can you drop using the word "we" and replace it with "I" ??? I'm simply stating it's absolutely impossible for a computer to boot from cold start in 4 seconds as one user claimed... and I'd love to see a cold start in 10 seconds to usability on Yosemite, as 2 have claimed.

If you don't want to read someone challenging what you believe, don't participate in a community forum. But definitely don't speak for others, as you seem to like to do.

So one has to be on a forum for a Year ? I give up with you. Not worth our time to argue. You have become a troll

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I have the current Macbook Air, the current rMacbook Pro... it's always booted in 10 seconds for Mavericks, never for Yosemite.

----------

BULLL HONKEY! I'm tired of all these people saying 4-10 second boots in mavericks with no video proof. Utter garbage.

----------

That's most definitely not a cold boot.
Just stop, just because our machines boot up faster doesn't mean you can insult us.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
10 seconds is kind of fast. I think the best time for a Mac stocked with the fastest PCI-e based flash chips would clock in at the mid-low teens. I kind of agree... whoever says they can achieve that time is either using a hackintosh or is just choosing "10" because it sounds like a well-rounded number. If you want to complain, break out a stop watch and don't rely on your body's internal clock, no matter how perfect you think it is. You aren't George Michael from Arrested Development. :p

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Just stop, just because our machines boot up faster doesn't mean you can insult us.

I just upgraded to the 2016 Macbook Pro Retina. Mine now boots in 2 seconds.

----------

10 seconds is kind of fast. I think the best time for a Mac stocked with the fastest PCI-e based flash chips would clock in at the mid-low teens. I kind of agree... whoever says they can achieve that time is either using a hackintosh or is just choosing "10" because it sounds like a well-rounded number. If you want to complain, break out a stop watch and don't rely on your body's internal clock, no matter how perfect you think it is. You aren't George Michael from Arrested Development. :p

10 seconds? There was a claim of FOUR seconds from someone on here. LOL

Can't even get past the bios apple in 4 seconds.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I just upgraded to the 2016 Macbook Pro Retina. Mine now boots in 2 seconds.

----------

10 seconds? There was a claim of FOUR seconds from someone on here. LOL

Can't even get past the bios apple in 4 seconds.

I never claimed 4 seconds. I claimed nothing. I merely claimed I had the same boot up as Mavericks. About 14-15 seconds to be precise.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I never claimed 4 seconds. I claimed nothing. I merely claimed I had the same boot up as Mavericks. About 14-15 seconds to be precise.

Wow, didn't realize you're the only one posting in here. I said there was a claim, I said nothing about YOU claiming 4 seconds. Re-read and stop being so defensive.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I feel like its worst and I have a 13" maxed out Retina....

People comparing a released OS's boot time to the boot time of a beta have no idea how beta testing works.

Usually a beta version has been compiled with a lot of extra debug information and checks inside the code. This means that the code is not running at its optimal speed. This code allows Apple to get better feedback on eventual problems and bugs.

This also means that the boot process will generally be slower as this is one of the most critical processes where debug information is needed.

So in short, as long as Yosemite is not officially released you have no idea extra code is in there and thus you cannot properly compare its boot time to a released OS.

----------

Well, there's a weird bug in the Mavericks bootloader that causes about a 10-20 second delay whenever I have an external USB harddrive connected to my iMac. So Yosemite technically boots a lot faster, not having this issue for some reason.

In a fair fight without anything connected to my computer, boot times are identical.

This delay in Mavericks is not a bug. When an external USB drive is connected at boot time, the OS needs to load the USB mass storage device drivers and then check if there is a bootable partition on the disk. This allows you to boot the OS from an external drive. Yes this adds a bit of time to the boot process but it also gives you the use advantage of being able to boot the OS from an external drive.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Rebooting and shutting down lots for the past few days and my average...

Cold boot up between 12/14 seconds

Shut Down once was 27 seconds but now 3/4 seconds

1...Only app that I have installed is AdBlock.
2...Some music, no movies
3...Pages software only

I did have a setting that I used temporally and that might have caused the slow shut down, but once I reverted back the shut down is real fast.

By the way I don't have a camera, but a simple flip phone without that capability and cannot post anything on YouTube to prove this time to boot up. I would hope that no one would call me a lier, but I guess maturity has something to do with it for at least one member. And, if it matters, I am 68 years old guy, and have no reason to lie at my age. ;)

Edit: I'm using Public Beta 2 not 1 and did a clean install if that should matter a bit...

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Same boot time with Mavericks for me (more or less) until DP5. However...

After installing DP6, OS X boot time is still fine, but if I press the "Option" key to access the windows partition, external drives etc, this screen that allows you to choose where to boot from, takes up to 2-3 minutes to show up !

Removing all external drives didn't help at all, option key leads to huge delays.

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
I just did a test and put in a SSD I had lying around and it fixed my problems of a Slow bootup from the Upgrade I did on my laptop. Tried repairing with Disc Utils but still had the same slow boot problem.
So when Final comes out I will do a fresh Install and it should fix my boot problems.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Considering I agree with ABC5S, it's "we"

Sorry. :)

That member has an issue DaveOlden. Just because he can't have the same fast boot up time, he wants to lower his IQ to a child, and bad mouth us. Its not just the two of us, but others on other threads that have fast boot up time with Yosemite. ;)

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I just re-installed Yosemite. I now can boot in 0.7 seconds.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7 of 9 just realigned the plasma injectors in my photon powered, cloked rMBP. Now it boots 24 hours before I think about turning it on. I'll post a video.;)

Jk ... Just couldn't help myself. Apologies everyone.

Last edited:

DaveOlden

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
Victoria, Canada
That member has an issue DaveOlden. Just because he can't have the same fast boot up time, he wants to lower his IQ to a child, and bad mouth us. Its not just the two of us, but others on other threads that have fast boot up time with Yosemite. ;)

ABC5S, I agree with you about the 'bad mouthing'. It isn't helpful during any troubleshooting. (Who can think clearly when they are stressed and on the defensive?)

Beta testing is all about patiently and clearly isolating issues that can be fixed.

The irony here is that I have two external installations (Public Beta 1 (an issue with updating) & Public Beta 2), and both installations have long boot times. Irony being: it doesn't bother me; they're betas and I kind of expect that.

Congrats to all who have swift boot times, and good luck to those whose boot times are less than ideal.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
ABC5S, I agree with you about the 'bad mouthing'. It isn't helpful during any troubleshooting. (Who can think clearly when they are stressed and on the defensive?)

Beta testing is all about patiently and clearly isolating issues that can be fixed.

The irony here is that I have two external installations (Public Beta 1 (an issue with updating) & Public Beta 2), and both installations have long boot times. Irony being: it doesn't bother me; they're betas and I kind of expect that.

Congrats to all who have swift boot times, and good luck to those whose boot times are less than ideal.
Add another to the "we"

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well, I'm comparing a FV encrypted Mavericks to a non-encryped Yosemite, but I still remember the boot times in Mavericks before encryption and I can say that it is actually a little faster a booting up, but MUCH faster at shutting down on my Retina MacBook Pro.

freeuser

Suspended
Apr 8, 2013
Update

on my above mentioned Bootimes, after a few days with Beta 2 on my FW800 SSD it seems to be much better, it now boots in around the same time as Beta 1, maybe that's due to Spotlight now been have scanned all?

CaffeinatedNoms

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2014
Northeast England
I'm simply stating it's absolutely impossible for a computer to boot from cold start in 4 seconds as one user claimed

Any 4, 8, or 16-bit microcomputer would be ready to use before your screen had phased in.

And evidently you've not used any 90s RISC machines; a 32-bit desktop computer which would boot from solid-state storage in less than a second.

With better optimisation, faster SSDs, faster RAM, faster processors, and far wider data lanes between, even though I don't have an SSD I can't doubt anyone here claiming 4 seconds. Stop being rude.

(And in case you're wondering, a clean install of Yosemite PB on a 5400rpm drive takes less than 25 seconds, where Mavericks still takes 38 - so even on disk it's faster)

Good User

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Late 2013 13" rMBP OS X 10.9.2: 10 seconds.
Late 2013 13" rMBP OS X 10.9.4: 14 seconds.
Murphy's law destroys electronics sooner than I thought in this day and age. maybe my one month old laptop is very old at least what apple thinks. :D

UPDATE: 12 hours after OS X 10.9.4 clean install it also boots in 10 seconds, Strange! Apple makes self improving software! LOL

Last edited:

JoelBaka

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2014
Yosemite is actually a lot faster with me :)
I don't have any fancy boot times though!

Mavericks was about 3 to 4 minutes.
Yosemite is about 1 minute.
But Yosemite is a clean install with barely anything on it and Mavericks has a couple of apps that start up automatically so not really fair.

Still happy with it though ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.