Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayrammac

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
Boot time on my rMBP 2013 with dual graphics was instant from tying password to seeing the desktop.

It now takes about 10 seconds.

No big deal and I expect there will be some improvement in the final release version.

Also the screen not goes blank for a second or so and then comes back on with the progress bar (just after tying the password in).

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I'm pretty sure they just moved where they require user password to the beginning of the boot process instead of right at the end. Explains why it's now just a grey screen instead of showing your blurred desktop picture.

Better security?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
My 2008 MBP (new SSD) is at about 20 seconds from beep to login screen. My 2010 MBP (new SSD) is at about 12. I actually counted last night before I saw this post. haha. It's on par with what it was on Mavericks. I'm just thankful we're not in the olden days of 1-2 min boot times. lol.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
They screwed up the boot times for me with beta/dp versions. With 10.9 it was ~10s, now it's twice as long or even more. Not a deal breaker tho, I don't shutdown my MBA very often anyways...

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Public Beta 1 the boot time was much MUCH longer. Booting up and logging in took a good 30 second on my late 2013 retina.

Public Beta 2 from the moment I press power to the login screen is incredibly fast. Probably 2-3 seconds. After that it will take about 10 seconds to login. So roughly 10-15 seconds.

Which is about the same for Mavericks.

Battery life was horrible for PB1. PB2 is much much better as well.

And in Yosemite shutting down has always been much faster compared to Mavericks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.