Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
I still don't understand how/why boot camp isn't an option. I haven't run it on my machines, but I thought when you did it was basically like any other windows laptop. I believed the only big loss in function of the laptop was worsened battery life. Is that inaccurate? In fact that was one of the big points that lead me to buy a retina MacBook Pro instead of a Thinkpad. I figured if I needed Windows I could use boot camp. I understand I would have to buy a copy of window. Can some one explain it? I don't want to hijack the thread, but I am I incorrect?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Don't care what you are doing at work, I am not going to run windows on a Mac, been there done that...

Then why did you state OSX is still in the way, that simply isn't true, or you fundamentally misunderstood how you were running it before.

But its your $$$

Good luck with Windows, we all know their version-to-version upgrades are perfect and issue-free.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I still don't understand how/why boot camp isn't an option. I haven't run it on my machines, but I thought when you did it was basically like any other windows laptop. I believed the only big loss in function of the laptop was worsened battery life. Is that inaccurate? In fact that was one of the big points that lead me to buy a retina MacBook Pro instead of a Thinkpad. I figured if I needed Windows I could use boot camp. I understand I would have to buy a copy of window. Can some one explain it? I don't want to hijack the thread, but I am I incorrect?

Don't bother trying to understand this thread, the OP is just ranting and made up his mind. Nobody here is going to care about it.

You are correct, Bootcamp or just installing Windows is always an option and works very well. In fact, I know quite a bit of Linux and Windows developers intentionally using MBPs like that and they're happier.

They always get disappointed with ThinkPad issues and goes back to MBPs.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Then why did you state OSX is still in the way, that simply isn't true, or you fundamentally misunderstood how you were running it before.

But its your $$$

Good luck with Windows, we all know their version-to-version upgrades are perfect and issue-free.

I was referring to parallels not boot camp (I want the hardware gone!!!) I am not going to support a company that is this customer hostile...

The $$$ are tiny in what it has cost me in productivity.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I've been using PCs since the IBM AT and Macs since the Plus. I'm not a fanboy of either side of the family, but based on roughly 30 years' experience I'd say that a bad day with a Mac/Apple is better than a good day with a DOS/Win machine.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I actually just ordered the Dell XPS 13. Yosemite is an unstable POS and given the rendition of the MBA made me want to puke a little, it was a no brainer to dump Apple.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Of course I will. I am a unique snowflake. Beautiful and individual... :rolleyes:

Or maybe I'm generation "me" and actually believe that

but why are you still here?? :eek:

EDIT: also, are you talking about the mockup of the next mba that's floating around the web? it's a mockup, and nothing more (we should all know by now that rumors and reality are mostly 2 different things)...

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I am the last apple hold out, the rest of my team switched back to windows machines over the last couple of years.

I rolled my machine back to mavericks, a multi hour ordeal and now I can at least do my work.

But I cannot have a machine that is constrained by an OS that simply does not operate reliably. It does not matter how sexy the OS is and how cool the features are.

My living is tied to the ability to reliably use my computer and :apple: has dropped the ball for the last time as far as I am concerned.

The last two Macs in our organization (iMac and Macbook Air) will be replaced beginning tomorrow. I plan to order the desktop tomorrow and have not decided on the notebook yet.

I hate to let the machines go but :apple: gave me no choice. Yosemite has been a steaming pile of &*^% since it was released and :apple: knows it.

What exactly was your problem with Yosemite?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
but why are you still here?? :eek:

EDIT: also, are you talking about the mockup of the next mba that's floating around the web? it's a mockup, and nothing more (we should all know by now that rumors and reality are mostly 2 different things)...

I don't have the computer yet! Besides, I've been around since I first saw the iPod in 2005, I like the people here.

Re: your edit, I've been here long enough to read the signs, and I'm pretty sure that the "rendering" that was posted, is very similar to the final design. It doesn't appeal to me, and I don't like the idea of a non-clicking trackpad.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I don't have the computer yet! Besides, I've been around since I first saw the iPod in 2005, I like the people here.

Re: your edit, I've been here long enough to read the signs, and I'm pretty sure that the "rendering" that was posted, is very similar to the final design. It doesn't appeal to me, and I don't like the idea of a non-clicking trackpad.

you're still basing your opinion on a render based on speculation...probably not the best way to make a judgement call. have you seen, for example, the iphone images that float around the web before a new phone? meanwhile, what it the next mba is light, fast, powerful, with a great screen, good ergonomics? just seems worth judging something for what it is, not what it might perhaps be...

meahwhile (and despite the 'mail lag bug'), am having my best mac OS experience yet with yosemite (have been an os x user since 10.2). and planning a new mbp (or?) WHEN the new macs are there to actually check out...

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Unreliable network connectivity, wifi up and down every few minutes, ethernet connectivity better but still unreliable, time machine does not work, etc...

Were these machines clean installs or upgrades?

In what way is Mavericks not functioning correctly after your downgrade?

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I was referring to parallels not boot camp (I want the hardware gone!!!) I am not going to support a company that is this customer hostile...

The $$$ are tiny in what it has cost me in productivity.

If a PC or Windows works best for your situation then that is the best option for you. However you have already bought the Apple Hardware, so you have already supported the company by originally buying there product. Using the hardware you already bought does not support Apple any less than selling the product second-hand.

I would have thought that natively installing Windows on your current hardware and choosing not to buy any new Apple products would have been adequate.

Thats just my opinion and what ever works best for you is up to you. I don't wish to cause any problems.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I dual boot both osx and windows, and I use them interchangeably. Some tasks are better in windows and others in osx. I have two macs. Recently, I have been using one as a dedicated windows machine and RDP into it on the newer mac in osx. It's great, even better than parallels, as running RDP uses almost no resources and I can run osx and windows programs side by side with copy-paste functionality in between both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.