Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
I am the last apple hold out, the rest of my team switched back to windows machines over the last couple of years.

I rolled my machine back to mavericks, a multi hour ordeal and now I can at least do my work.

But I cannot have a machine that is constrained by an OS that simply does not operate reliably. It does not matter how sexy the OS is and how cool the features are.

My living is tied to the ability to reliably use my computer and :apple: has dropped the ball for the last time as far as I am concerned.

The last two Macs in our organization (iMac and Macbook Air) will be replaced beginning tomorrow. I plan to order the desktop tomorrow and have not decided on the notebook yet.

I hate to let the machines go but :apple: gave me no choice. Yosemite has been a steaming pile of &*^% since it was released and :apple: knows it.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
That is quite alright. Ultimately, it is important that you have the best tools for the job that you have to do and if a mac is not that tool, then so be it.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Lucky you. I always take my MacBook Pro with me into work, because I hate using the corporate Windoze PC they gave me.

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
I too bring my Mac to work and don't bother to even turn on my PC. I'm not trying to be more productive--just like an easy life--but I end up getting more work done on time! But, yeah, I too downgraded back to Mavericks. Yosemite broke too many apps for me and, plus, is really ugly. I cloned my system before the update so I only wasted a couple hours cloning it back. Mavericks has been very good for me--stable, fast and reliable--don't know why I tried to fix something that wasn't broke.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I am the last apple hold out, the rest of my team switched back to windows machines over the last couple of years.

I rolled my machine back to mavericks, a multi hour ordeal and now I can at least do my work.

But I cannot have a machine that is constrained by an OS that simply does not operate reliably. It does not matter how sexy the OS is and how cool the features are.

My living is tied to the ability to reliably use my computer and :apple: has dropped the ball for the last time as far as I am concerned.

The last two Macs in our organization (iMac and Macbook Air) will be replaced beginning tomorrow. I plan to order the desktop tomorrow and have not decided on the notebook yet.

I hate to let the machines go but :apple: gave me no choice. Yosemite has been a steaming pile of &*^% since it was released and :apple: knows it.

I don't understand what the problem is. Stay on Mavericks until the issues you've experienced are fixed, then move to Yosemite. Most of what Apple sells can still be downgraded, excluding the Retina iMac and 2014 Mac mini.

What exactly are you having trouble with in Yosemite?

That is quite alright. Ultimately, it is important that you have the best tools for the job that you have to do and if a mac is not that tool, then so be it.

I actually checked if your signature could be displayed by Internet Explorer :p

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
All of our organizations Macs have been great. Yosemite has been ticking along just fine and with the exception of the spotlight glitch (on the one machine with 10.10.2 Beta), they have all been trouble free.

We only have 8 macs but still... I figured we'd see more issues on a release that's this new.

It's too bad you're having problems.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Why not just install Windows on the existing machines?

But the key to any IT environment is to only make any change with a rollback plan, and only for good reason. If you always upgrade come what may without a plan (or a purpose - did you not investigate the apps you <need> for work before upgrading?), then you will eventually come unstuck on DOS, Windows, Ubuntu or any other OS you care to run.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I am sorry to hear that Yosemite is giving you problems. My organisation has so far almost completely switched to 10.10 without any reported issues so far.

True words.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
What exactly are you having trouble with in Yosemite?:p

Unreliable network connectivity, wifi up and down every few minutes, ethernet connectivity better but still unreliable, time machine does not work, etc...

----------

Why not just install Windows on the existing machines?

Because OS X is still the host OS controlling things like wifi...

The apps are fine...

It comes down to the perception (perception becomes fact) that Apple doesn't care about their customers, otherwise they would not have released a beta OS. There is no reason to pay a premium for what that apple is pumping out right now...

It is much more important that I have a system that is reliable rather than have an image of fruit on it. As you can tell I am fed up with Apples holier than thou attitude.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You need to do what's best for you. I found myself using Windows more and for my job, its better.

I'm rocking on a SP3 for a lot of my tasks, while I still have multiple Macs the need for Windows is there me.

I'm not married to apple, I choose the product that best fits my needs. Most of the time for my computing needs, its Apple, when they fail to meet those needs, I find something else.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
If you're running Windows natively through Boot Camp, OS X isn't involved in any way.

Yeah no thanks, that is a kludge, my new desktop is on order, just not going to put up with this any longer...

johnh57

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Montana
I'm far from a power user - but i have a 2010 macbook pro. I upgraded the hdd to an ssd with trim enabled, I upgraded the ram to 8GB, I have autocad lite running, I'm using an external 32" WQHD monitor, Windows 7 pro running on parallels (now that I bought the autocad lite for mac, I don't really need the windows, but its there and working), I have a 4 tb usb 2.0 external drive set up for backup and archiving. We have a wireless network in the house with all sorts of gizmos (tv's, tablets, androids, a PC, the mac, and a printer running on it). I'm also running Yosemite.

I have not experienced any problems I'm aware of. I had some intermittent loss of internet - but all the devices experienced it so I think it was weather related not mac/yosemite.

There are a few things I don't get - For a graphic oriented machine the mac seems to have issues with running google sketchup without beachballing. I haven't tried sketchup since the SSD upgrade, maybe that will help.

There are some mac os things that drive me nuts - most notably the inability of a lot of macros in windows based spreadsheets to work on excel for mac. I don't have the programing knowledge to edit the macros, so i'm stuck with running some spreadsheets in windows.

I am actually fairly pleased with how yosemite is working. I don't use enough of the features to really notice anymore than superficial differences between it and mavericks though.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2010
Yeah no thanks, that is a kludge, my new desktop is on order, just not going to put up with this any longer...

I don't really get it? How is that a kludge? Just trying to understand. Not trying to cause an argument. I can understand how Yosemite or any OS could have an issue with something that is "mission critical ". But if you have isolated the problem to software why get rid of hardware? If you own the machines and the are paid for why not stick with proven hardware and change OS? Your new desktop could have unforeseen hardware issues that put you in the same or worse position. If it is both hardware and software then pick the best tool for what you need.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
I don't really get it? How is that a kludge? Just trying to understand. Not trying to cause an argument. I can understand how Yosemite or any OS could have an issue with something that is "mission critical ". But if you have isolated the problem to software why get rid of hardware? If you own the machines and the are paid for why not stick with proven hardware and change OS? Your new desktop could have unforeseen hardware issues that put you in the same or worse position. If it is both hardware and software then pick the best tool for what you need.

I have made the decision to dump apple, i ordered a machine designed for windows, as soon as I get them set-up, the iMac and air go to craigslist...

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012

Yes, I was thinking this too. Just install Windows on the hardware you have, Apple hardware works this way as well. But then again, you have to factor in the Windows software costs.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Yeah no thanks, that is a kludge,

No. It isn't.

If you really believe thats a kludge then im not surprised you are having problems with your Mac. Evidently you don't have a clue what you are doing.
But go ahead and waste money on a PC when your existing Mac could have been made to work just fine :)

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
these posts are really tiresome. "i'm having a bad experience with <CHOOSE OS>, so therefore, EVERYONE is having a bad experience". we hear this EVERY time apple updates OS X. zzzzzzzz..... :rolleyes:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yes, I was thinking this too. Just install Windows on the hardware you have, Apple hardware works this way as well. But then again, you have to factor in the Windows software costs.
Replied to the wrong person. Sorry.

----------

I have made the decision to dump apple, i ordered a machine designed for windows, as soon as I get them set-up, the iMac and air go to craigslist...

OKAYYY sir, you've made your point. I honestly do not understand why you created this thread? You never asked anyone for help with anything. Seems as though you just wanted to rant and rub it in a our faces that you're dumping Apple after all. No shame in changing systems, do what you gotta do but on an Apple enthusiast board what was the entire point of your thread, if not just to attempt to frustrate some people?

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I too bring my Mac to work and don't bother to even turn on my PC. I'm not trying to be more productive--just like an easy life--but I end up getting more work done on time! But, yeah, I too downgraded back to Mavericks. Yosemite broke too many apps for me and, plus, is really ugly. I cloned my system before the update so I only wasted a couple hours cloning it back. Mavericks has been very good for me--stable, fast and reliable--don't know why I tried to fix something that wasn't broke.

I'm quite satisfied with Mavericks myself.

Having taken a wait and see position, deciding to wait until lots of reports were in on Yosemite ended up saving me lots of time. My colleagues here at work have struggled with what seems like one of the buggier Apple so called "upgrades".

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere

Having taken a wait and see position, deciding to wait until lots of reports were in on Yosemite ended up saving me lots of time. My colleagues here at work have struggled with what seems like one of the buggier Apple so called "upgrades".

i have ONE bug (a lag typing in apple mail)in yosemite. otherwise it's fast, stable, efficient. i love that.

some of the people i work with have moved to 10.10, and are enjoying it. it's all relative. with EVERY version of OS X...some people are happy, others aren't. it's been like that forever (i've been around since 10.2).

jms969

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Replied to the wrong person. Sorry.

----------

OKAYYY sir, you've made your point. I honestly do not understand why you created this thread? You never asked anyone for help with anything. Seems as though you just wanted to rant and rub it in a our faces that you're dumping Apple after all. No shame in changing systems, do what you gotta do but on an Apple enthusiast board what was the entire point of your thread, if not just to attempt to frustrate some people?

Ummmm, I don't need any help...

----------

Since I rolled back to Mavericks my system is very stable and wifi is fine, Yosemite for a number of users is a disaster for others it is ok. But yeah I am done with Apple...

----------

Hello! You can install Windows natively without OSX.....we have some 100+ machines at work with just that setup....

----------

That is just too funny LOL

Don't care what you are doing at work, I am not going to run windows on a Mac, been there done that...

----------

these posts are really tiresome. "i'm having a bad experience with <CHOOSE OS>, so therefore, EVERYONE is having a bad experience". we hear this EVERY time apple updates OS X. zzzzzzzz..... :rolleyes:

Don't really care what you think, there is an abnormally high number of user having severe problems with Yosemite. Just because you are not doesn't mean they don't exist...

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Both of my Macs run like Swiss watches on Yosemite. Upgrading finally also fixed a sleep/wake problem with my rMBP. If I took a wait and see approach I'd probably still be running SL. :rolleyes:

----------

Which Win OS?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
odd that the OP insists he doesn't care what any of us think, but thought it important enough to post in the first place....as if he cared what we think.

yes, some people are having issues with yosemite. just like: 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6, etc etc.

so always 2 options: move forward, find fixes/workarounds, wait for incremental update with fixes. or move backwards. (or, i guess, choice 3: windows or...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.