Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
So your justifying the plastic back on the iP3 & 3GS? Still a plastic back that had the same look....and it leaked light. I think the back on the GS2 is awesome as well as the HTC One S &One X. Either way, im putting a case on them.

I'm not justifying anything. Like I just said, the plastic back of the 3G/S iPhone was substantially better than what Samsung is using. Plus I never had an issue with light leaking.

That's great that you are using a case. But your point from the start was that the backing of a smartphone doesn't matter because you use a case. That doesn't apply to all the people who don't use cases (or don't want to unless necessary). Bottom line is that it's ridiculous to dismiss any element of hardware regarding a smartphone.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
4.0.4 has not been approved by all carries yet. That's why the One X I tried at AT&T was running the earlier version. It was lag free, fast and very smooth, so should I decide to buy one of those I will leave it as it is.

My Nexus runs great on 4.0.1. Therefore I believe anything over 4.0.x with a proper implementation will be just fine.

ICS has pretty much done a pretty good job of consolidating Android's look on all devices. The individual UI's are slightly different, but all in all, this was a good step forward. Gingerbread is ok, Honeycomb was and is a nightmare, but ICS is a joy. Everything I hVe tried it on has been smooth. Only time I noticed lag was due to an older CPU trying to do to many operations at once. Any dual-core 1.4 or faster CPU will be lag free. My Touchpad overclocked to 1.8Ghz flies!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I am not arguing against this point (I am buying the AT&T HTC One X), but the fact that we can't really know anything about this new device except the fact that it has a 4.8" screen, ugly design, wireless charging, and some new software features. The design (1 button vs capacitive buttons), software, and processor/radio (so we can't judge speed/call quality/power consumption) will more than likely be changed in some way or form when it decides to swim across the pond(s) to us.

I always found the US version of the galaxy s series to look nicer anyway.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The issue isn't whether ICS will perform well on the One X for two years. It's that there is a good chance that One X users will have to wait a long time to obtain Jelly Bean once it's released. That's if they can get it at all at some point.

Here's my take on upgrading in general. Whether it's a computer or smartphone.

1) First I read what the upgrade offers, often there is very little or even nothing of great interest to me. If there is then I still follow the next step.

2) I wait until others have used it for a least a few weeks. I read the reviews, and see what it performs like. Often by then there are bugs, like reduction in battery life or other annoyances.

3) Once the upgrade is fixed, then if I want it I load it. If not I stay with what I have. In every case, whatever I'm using is the product of ongoing optimization on my part so as to get it to perform to my liking.

With Windows for example I stuck with XP until Windows 7 was getting the kind of reviews I look for. Passing up Vista proved to be a very good decision on my part.

With OS X, I'm still using 10.6.8 on my Macs and greatly prefer it over Lion, even though I've been using Lion for months on my 2011 MBA. In fact I specifically bought the MBA to try Lion as it was pre-loaded on maximized hardware direct from Apple to be sure I was giving it a fair trial.

I will pass on Lion altogether and wait until a few revs of Mountain Lion are released. Perhaps by then I will find it compelling and up to my requirements.

So the bottom line is simple. If ones computer or smartphone is doing the job it's designed to do, I have no burning desire to upgrade the OS "just because it's the latest". For me it's about functionality. That's first and foremost above all.

fullygruntled

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Bella Vista
While I was waiting for both the one x and the gs3, now that there here I'm going to wait for the iPhone. The one x apparently has outgoing call quality issues and the gs3, while speced slightly better than the gs2 is one cheap looking phone. Both are too damn big for my tastes. If Apple goes to 4" like I've been reading, I'll be happy.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
I have friends who are anti-iPhone, so when their contracts are up, I usually urge them to get specific phones. The GSIII is one of the ones I'm interested in toying with. What I find kind of interesting is that Samsung seems to be kind of pushing the idea that they're going to have a lot of accessories specifically for the GSIII. That's something I've liked about the iPhone in that you can use it so many ways due to the peripheral support.

Dangerdog3000

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
While I was waiting for both the one x and the gs3, now that there here I'm going to wait for the iPhone. The one x apparently has outgoing call quality issues and the gs3, while speced slightly better than the gs2 is one cheap looking phone. Both are too damn big for my tastes. If Apple goes to 4" like I've been reading, I'll be happy.

What are the outgoing call issues? I haven't heard of any issues. Link please? I would like to know because I too am considering making the leap from iOS to Android soon.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Here's my take on upgrading in general. Whether it's a computer or smartphone.

1) First I read what the upgrade offers, often there is very little or even nothing of great interest to me. If there is then I still follow the next step.

2) I wait until others have used it for a least a few weeks. I read the reviews, and see what it performs like. Often by then there are bugs, like reduction in battery life or other annoyances.

3) Once the upgrade is fixed, then if I want it I load it. If not I stay with what I have. In every case, whatever I'm using is the product of ongoing optimization on my part so as to get it to perform to my liking.

With Windows for example I stuck with XP until Windows 7 was getting the kind of reviews I look for. Passing up Vista proved to be a very good decision on my part.

With OS X, I'm still using 10.6.8 on my Macs and greatly prefer it over Lion, even though I've been using Lion for months on my 2011 MBA. In fact I specifically bought the MBA to try Lion as it was pre-loaded on maximized hardware direct from Apple to be sure I was giving it a fair trial.

I will pass on Lion altogether and wait until a few revs of Mountain Lion are released. Perhaps by then I will find it compelling and up to my requirements.

So the bottom line is simple. If ones computer or smartphone is doing the job it's designed to do, I have no burning desire to upgrade the OS "just because it's the latest". For me it's about functionality. That's first and foremost above all.

Let's toss out your Vista example because that Windows and we all know what a disaster that OS was.

With respect to Mac OS's, at least I have the freedom to upgrade if desired. Ditto iOS. (if my Mac or iPhone have the necessary spec requirements.)

There is no argument to be made that a lengthy delay (or complete inability) to upgrade to Jelly Bean in the future is excusable.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada

In response to your comment re call quality, all I can provide are mainstream reviews and their comments on call quality. At minimum, the call quality is decent and some call it good in the various reviews I read previously and when I did a quick search now. No doubt there will be some reviews and people who may not share the following views but I do think what is detailed below is reasonably representative.

http://www.intomobile.com/reviews/review-htc-one-x-att/

Call quality fared quite well on AT&T's network here in San Francisco, which isn't always the case. Calls were more than acceptable on both ends, with little to no interference throughout the duration of the call.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-one-x-gray/4505-6452_7-35150644-2.html

Call quality on the HTC One X via AT&T's GSM cellular network was on par with other AT&T handsets I've used. For calls made in New York, voices sounded clear with no discernible static and people on the other end reported clean audio as well. The phone's slim speaker doesn't get too loud even with the volume pushed to the highest setting.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/01/htc-one-x-for-att-review/

Call quality was decent, but LTE performance exceeded our expectations with peak speeds of 35.7Mbps down and 23.5Mbps up (!)

http://gizmodo.com/5907529/htc-one-x-review-form-meets-function/

Call quality was very good, though not as good as Sprint's HD Voice, rolling out later this year.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403418,00.asp

Voice quality was excellent overall, with a warm, clear tone in the earpiece, and crisp, dropout-free transmissions through the microphone. I did hear a slight computerized sound on voices through the mic at times, but reception was solid.

http://www.android-invasion.net/2012/05/review-htc-one-x-att/

It’s a phone, so it has to make calls. It does and it does it well. Call quality was very good and I only had one dropped call in my week period with the device.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/phones/HTC-One-X.htm

Voice quality for both incoming and outgoing voice is very good. Call recipients couldn't tell we were on a cell phone and the One X did a good job of rejecting ambient noise via the built-in mics. Incoming voice was clear and easy to understand with slightly better than average volume. As a calling device, the HTC gets a thumbs up.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I'm not justifying anything. Like I just said, the plastic back of the 3G/S iPhone was substantially better than what Samsung is using. Plus I never had an issue with light leaking.

That's great that you are using a case. But your point from the start was that the backing of a smartphone doesn't matter because you use a case. That doesn't apply to all the people who don't use cases (or don't want to unless necessary). Bottom line is that it's ridiculous to dismiss any element of hardware regarding a smartphone.
The plastic casing on the 3G/3GS was crap.
They were notorious for splitting and cracking.
The headphone jack was the most common area where people complained about cracking.
I've personally sent mine back twice for cracks in the casing.
The one I have now has not cracked, but that's primarily because I don't use it anymore.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/254792/htc_one_x_review_beautiful_but_not_without_its_shortcomings.html

Sounds like he may have had a bad unit given the other positive reviews of call quality.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
The plastic casing on the 3G/3GS was crap.
They were notorious for splitting and cracking.
The headphone jack was the most common area where people complained about cracking.
I've personally sent mine back twice for cracks in the casing.
The one I have now has not cracked, but that's primarily because I don't use it anymore.

Sounds like he may have had a bad unit given the other positive reviews of call quality.

I had my 3G iPhone for 2 years. Dropped it several times. Never once had a crack. I stand by my previous statements that it's quality was superior to the plastic Samsung is currently featuring in their smartphone line.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I had my 3G iPhone for 2 years. Dropped it several times. Never once had a crack. I stand by my previous statements that it's quality was superior to the plastic Samsung is currently featuring in their smartphone line.
Guess we'll agree to disagree.
The construction of my SGS2 Skyrocket is miles better than my 3GS.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
First I was super disappointed by the GS3, but its growing on me. By the time its out I may get one, but I bet the next Nexus device will be awesome.

dayloon

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
Stafford, UK
Not read through the 26 pages of replies but I personally think Apple need to come up with something mighty special for their next iPhone to beat the galaxy s3. It looks very nice.

mykem

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
I still think it's a gimmick.
It's Vlingo on steroids.
I've tried Siri and a whole host of Android voice command apps and they all have sucked to some extent.

The thing that does intrigue me about S Voice is I don't have to activate it by pushing a button. I simply say "Hi Galaxy" or whatever you decide to change the command to, and it's ready to go.
Between the eye tracking and S Voice, I can see why this thing has a 2100mAh battery.

You do know that with iPhone 4S you don't need to press button to activate Siri. All you have to do is press the phone to your ear (while you're not on a call, obviously) and Siri will be activated.

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010

I find it hilarious that people blame call quality solely on the device. Don't get me wrong, some devices have ****** radios, but AT&T is a huge culprit behind crappy call quality. Myniphone 4S has terrible call quality. Should I blame the device?

How come crappy phones sound amazing on Verizon? Bottom line, if you want amazing call quality, stay as far away from AT&T as possible. I don't care what device goes on that network, everything is subpar at best.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
One of the best aspects of the S III, and the One X will be their influence on Apple. These two are major upgrades and thus will encourage Apple to do the same with it's two year old model.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
I always found the US version of the galaxy s series to look nicer anyway.
Yup, love my i777. Hope the GSIII has a different/shrunken down case making the phone a little smaller as U.S. variants generally get the capacitive buttons (new ones on the screen saving even more real estate, while previous ones like the i777 had them right below the screen). I don't want a physical button and don't like the looks of them, replaced to many of them on the iPhone 4 especially for employee's constantly using their phones.. damn home button fails constantly with heavy use.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
I wonder if you would be singing this same tune if Apple were releasing these specs.

Well, if and when Apple releases a quad-core iPhone or any of these similar features, I fully expect you to have the same response, because as we all know, you're being intellectually honest. And if Apple should release an iPhone that features even more features than the SIII, I expect you to really laugh at them and easily pass on upgrading due to utter lack of necessity.

Nice try. If you've ever seen any of my posts, you would know I am not a die-hard Apple fan. I don't own an iPhone, I own a Galaxy S Captivate. I have personal experience with the Galaxy S line of phones. I think quad-core will be over the top in the next iPhone. The iPhone is already smooth and quad-core won't do much for it. I honestly don't care much for specs, I care about the materials used in constructing the device, which is the number one reason I am passing up the GSIII. I want to feel quality if I pay $200-$300 for a phone.
This is exactly how I feel.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
One of the best aspects of the S III, and the One X will be their influence on Apple. These two are major upgrades and thus will encourage Apple to do the same with it's two year old model.
yeah, wonder what 'Apple' is thinking, looking at their 2 year old device while all these great, new, beautifully innovative phones are hitting the streets. Cripes, 2 years is like dog years in cell phones.

I'll tell you what they're thinking: "you got the HTC One X which shoots itself straight in the foot with little useful onboard memory, and no SD slot and the GSIII which looks like last years old socks. Let's go back to counting our money!"

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Nice try. If you've ever seen any of my posts, you would know I am not a die-hard Apple fan. I don't own an iPhone, I own a Galaxy S Captivate. I have personal experience with the Galaxy S line of phones. I think quad-core will be over the top in the next iPhone. The iPhone is already smooth and quad-core won't do much for it. I honestly don't care much for specs, I care about the materials used in constructing the device, which is the number one reason I am passing up the GSIII. I want to feel quality if I pay $200-$300 for a phone.
This is exactly how I feel.

You say certain new features are "over the top" and essentially unnecessary, implying that such things are superficial, yet you place high value on the materials a device is constructed out of. Does anyone else see the irony?

Suit yourself. Your preferences are yours. I have no problem, per se, but it sounds awfully disingenuous. As if you're clinging onto the few things left of the iPhone you can easily say is better than the competition. And you say you're not a die-hard Apple fan, and I believe you, but somehow it still doesn't feel like you're giving credit where credit is due. The potentials of some of the SIII's features can be great: If eye-tracking, for example, can deliver on its promises of recognizing whether to dim/sleep a device or not based on your eye usage and movement, that would be extraordinary; really putting the "smart" in smartphone. But you know, it's still plastic unfortunately! You bring up the quad core as unnecessary, and sure nothing really utilizes it currently but having quad core future-proofs the device to some degree when developers do start designing games and apps that will take advantage of the extra power.

In general (meaning not necessarily directed at you JB07), the more I hear people say how important "build material" is, the more absurd the argument becomes, and the more I realize how truly unimportant it is; especially in the face of the advances being made elsewhere by other manufacturers. I'll take HSPA+, larger screens, notification light, removable battery, expandable memory, and now things like the possibility of wireless charging, etc. over "build material" any day. Build material merely equates to aesthetics and sense of value. That is arguably more superficial than features that might enhance the user experience.

EDIT: And I hate to employ this tireless argument again, but it just goes hand in hand with the convo: the superiority of the iPhone's build quality/material seems to go flying out the window awfully fast when glass is dropped on concrete.

Last edited:

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You say certain new features are "over the top" and essentially unnecessary, implying that such things are superficial, yet you place high value on the materials a device is constructed out of. Does anyone else see the irony?

Suit yourself. Your preferences are yours. I have no problem, per se, but it sounds awfully disingenuous. As if you're clinging onto the few things left of the iPhone you can easily say is better than the competition.

In general, the more I hear people say how important "build material" is, the more absurd the argument becomes, and the more I realize how truly unimportant it is; especially in the face of the advances being made elsewhere by other manufacturers. I'll take HSPA+, larger screens, notification light, removable battery, expandable memory, and now things like the possibility of wireless charging, etc. over "build material" any day.

You state "your preferences are yours" which sounds eminently reasonably, acknowledging that people may differ in what is important to them. Very good.

Then you go trash this statement with comments like "awfully disingenuous", "truly unimportant" and "build material" (you put the parentheses there for a reason). In essence, you patronize people for their choices as, really, what you like is what really counts.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You state "your preferences are yours" which sounds eminently reasonably, acknowledging that people may differ in what is important to them. Very good.

Then you go trash this statement with comments like "awfully disingenuous", "truly unimportant" and "build material" (you put the parentheses there for a reason). In essence, you patronize people for their choices as, really, what you like is what really counts.

Which part of "I" in all the "I realize" or "I'll take" fails to imply these are my preferences, and anything derived from those preferences are my opinions?

In other words: yeah, I disagree with people who think build materials are that much more important than features that would truly enhance user experience. Something is amiss about this, like people are desperate to cling onto what Apple has left in their corner that's better than the competition. That doesn't change that their preference are their own.

This is more than "what I like is what really counts." I'm a huge Apple fan, and not even necessarily a Samsung fan, but as I added in my post (you responded before I added it), it sounds to me poeple are not giving credit where credit is due. Samsung has introduced a few novel features. And I'd wager if these features were introduced by Apple instead, many here would be going nuts about how Apple's pushing the frontier again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.