Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
So your saying this isnt ugly? It is rounded both ways, and the corners are even more rounded on the iPhone (i know this isnt an official picture)but....i forget, it has a Apple logo on it so it is beautiful :rolleyes:

Image Image

There is no problem with an uniformly curved back.

What is ugly is big rounding towards a flat back, and nonfunctional rounded edges around a rectangular screen.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
There is no problem with an uniformly curved back.

What is ugly is big rounding towards a flat back, and nonfunctional rounded edges around a rectangular screen.

Right and that picture of the iPhone is more rounded on the corners and im betting everyone here(most anyways) would say it is beautiful and well played by Apple. I dont see anything wrong w/ the SG3 asside from it is a little too big for my liking.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Putting on my fire suit...

The phone looks like crap and most every tech site I've read has been underwhelmed, at best, by the GSIII.

Once again it appears to be a case of Samsung just throwing the whole box out and hoping something sticks. But they don't understand, you can have a phone with 8 cores and 32GB of RAM and all these top-spec features...it will still suck if the software doesn't cut it. And in my humble opinion, Android does not.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Right and that picture of the iPhone is more rounded on the corners and im betting everyone here(most anyways) would say it is beautiful and well played by Apple. I dont see anything wrong w/ the SG3 asside from it is a little too big for my liking.

I don't like the old thick iPhone back rounding.

I think the rounding on the SII is OK, but from the front the SIII does not look nice.

Dylatron2000

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Durham, NC
So your saying this isnt ugly? It is rounded both ways, and the corners are even more rounded on the iPhone (i know this isnt an official picture)but....i forgot, it has a Apple logo on it so it is beautiful :rolleyes:

Image Image

LOL I thought that was a magic mouse at first...with some mod done to it.

That made me laugh a little too hard...sweet concept whoever thought of that...not.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
ICS is a great ROM. Fast and smooth. I do hope that when GS3 comes to the US, the version my carrier gets is a 4.5" and not that 4.8" version.

Id get the HTC One if they had put a microcard in it. At least the One X has a 32 GB memory. The ONE S only has 16 GB.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
LOL I thought that was a magic mouse at first...with some mod done to it.

That made me laugh a little too hard...sweet concept whoever thought of that...not.

The magic mouse looks nice from the pictures, but I'm not getting a pointing device without 3 real main buttons.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Putting on my fire suit...

The phone looks like crap and most every tech site I've read has been underwhelmed, at best, by the GSIII.

Once again it appears to be a case of Samsung just throwing the whole box out and hoping something sticks. But they don't understand, you can have a phone with 8 cores and 32GB of RAM and all these top-spec features...it will still suck if the software doesn't cut it. And in my humble opinion, Android does not.

Replace GSIII for iPhone4s and this reads like tech sites after the release of the latest iPhone. Do you see the irony? BTW, the US version of the S3 willbe dual-core, due to LTE, not '8 cores'... But it will have the ability for 128gb of onboard storage. OS wise, i can tell you have never used ICS on a top tier phone, otherwise, you would realize how far the OS has come and retract your statement.

By the way, I have the SGS2 Skyrocket with a larger, near identical sized (mine is 2250mA and the S3 willhavea 2050mA) battery as the SGS3, but the S3 will have a 20% more efficient CPU and more pwer efficient screen.

Just calbrated the battery and with the screen set at 50%, live wallpaper active, moderate use (actually used the phone more tan 50% of the time, not sittingin standby!) and wifi only, I just clocked 14 hours and 27 minutes. If you are using 3g, i would expect around 10-11 hours and on 4GLTE, expect around 6-7. At least, I got 6 hours and 28 minutes on LTE in SanFran on a recent trip.
Based off this, I can very easily see the S3 getting 14+ hour life with moderate use in wifi mode. And very easily make it through the work day withheavy use. of course, it nly takes a few seconds to pop in a new battery.
I anticipate the iPhone5 to have similar battery life stats as the S3, but will need an outlet for a few hours to recharge, while the S3 can keep going with another battery popped in.

Last edited:

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
Your calling that an Android site? :rolleyes:

I dont see whats so ugly about it. Maybe someone can be more specific as to what is so ugly? Because it doesnt come in black? Hec that for me is a plus. Everyphone ive had except for one has been black. Not to mention, there are a thousand black cases i can put on it if i want to.

I would assume that a site called Android Police, where the quote originated, is indeed an Android site.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Replace GSIII for iPhone4s and this reads like tech sites after the release of the latest iPhone. Do you see the irony? BTW, the US version of the S3 willbe dual-core, due to LTE, not '8 cores'... But it will have the ability for 128gb of onboard storage. OS wise, i can tell you have never used ICS on a top tier phone, otherwise, you would realize how far the OS has come and retract your statement.

By the way, I have the SGS2 Skyrocket with a larger, near identical sized (mine is 2250mA and the S3 willhavea 2050mA) battery as the SGS3, but the S3 will have a 20% more efficient CPU and more pwer efficient screen.

Just calbrated the battery and with the screen set at 50%, live wallpaper active, moderate use (actually used the phone more tan 50% of the time, not sittingin standby!) and wifi only, I just clocked 14 hours and 27 minutes. If you are using 3g, i would expect around 10-11 hours and on 4GLTE, expect around 6-7. At least, I got 6 hours and 28 minutes on LTE in SanFran on a recent trip.
Based off this, I can very easily see the S3 getting 14+ hour life with moderate use in wifi mode. And very easily make it through the work day withheavy use. of course, it nly takes a few seconds to pop in a new battery.
I anticipate the iPhone5 to have similar battery life stats as the S3, but will need an outlet for a few hours to recharge, while the S3 can keep going with another battery popped in.

I'm really not sure whee you're getting that from. No tech sites said it looked like crap, they complained that it looked the same as the iPhone 4. If you remember, nearly all media sites loved the design of the iPhone 4.

Not a single site said Apple was throwing things out there hoping "something sticks", with only one phone a year that doesn't make sense. I also can't remember any sites saying there is no software that takes advantage of their hardware (which to date no Android phone released has beaten in any CPU or GPU benchmarks).

In any case, can you explain how having a second battery isn't a large inconvenience? How do you keep both of them charged? That seems like a lot to manage, even if you have a separate charger for the second battery. Always having to make sure something secondary is both charged and carried with you all the time in case you need it...sounds like a pain to me.

Does your S2 have a charger case like my iPhone does? The case itself contains the second battery, and when I plug the phone in at night, they both charge together. I can easily take the case off if I don't need it, but I don't have to manage the charge on two separate devices and carry everything with me.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How are you not comparing Apple vs Android also? Sure they all belong to the same pool of technology, but does it just stop there? Do you put all pieces of metal on 4 wheels in the same category as cars? Or do you further classify them as cars, trucks, ford, dodge?

Since your comprehension ability is below average at best, let me see if I can make it simple for you to understand.

Peter doesn't buy a new phone every year. Android phones update faster than iPhones. Because of this, Peter wants to make sure that any Android phone he does buy can last him 2+ years. The build quality of the GS3 looks like absolute **** compared to other high end devices. Therefore he is unwillingly to buy the phone as he is unsure if it will last him 2+years.

I'll allow Peter to answer the questions I ask him.

Sorry took me so long to respond. I usually use my PC, tapatalk doesn't have the ignore feature so I just saw your post.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
I'm really not sure whee you're getting that from. No tech sites said it looked like crap, they complained that it looked the same as the iPhone 4. If you remember, nearly all media sites loved the design of the iPhone 4.

Not a single site said Apple was throwing things out there hoping "something sticks", with only one phone a year that doesn't make sense. I also can't remember any sites saying there is no software that takes advantage of their hardware (which to date no Android phone released has beaten in any CPU or GPU benchmarks).

In any case, can you explain how having a second battery isn't a large inconvenience? How do you keep both of them charged? That seems like a lot to manage, even if you have a separate charger for the second battery. Always having to make sure something secondary is both charged and carried with you all the time in case you need it...sounds like a pain to me.

Does your S2 have a charger case like my iPhone does? The case itself contains the second battery, and when I plug the phone in at night, they both charge together. I can easily take the case off if I don't need it, but I don't have to manage the charge on two separate devices and carry everything with me.

I don't know any 'real' tech sites, not opinion based garbage sites!, that said the design of the S3 "sucks". Your personal opinions and reality are a bit skewed.

As forthe battery, I can tell you have never used an Android type of phone. You charge one, then take it ut of the phone and charge the one you plan to use. I keep my second battery (which by the way is small) in my pocket. Never even notice it. When I need more power, i pop it in. I can get over 28 hours of moderate use before needing a charger.

As for a battery case, yes I have one of those as well and it works just like yours, i only use it for long trips though. It's from Powerskin and has a nice 4 led indicator to tell me how much juice is left. Basically, I can take a plane all the way to the ther side of the planet without the need to charge my phone. (Watching videos non-stop too). Now you could do the same with the iphone and buy a couple of battery cases for $40-$80 bucks a piece (3rd rail mobility is an awesme battery case, but expensive), but the battery is much smaller and easier to deal with, sinse it is in my pocket. Additionally, My 2250 mA battery only cost $15, shipped. ( 14 hours and 27 minutes per charge with moderate use, which means actually using it 50% of the time to me.)

I am not sayin the iPhone sucks, looks like garbage or anything like that. I wouldn't have bought one if Thought that, but in my personal opinion and based off extensive use of both iPhones and my S2 Skyrocket, the Samsung fits my needs better. And the S3 really fits my needs! And I happen to think it looks just fine. After all, it is thinner and lighter than the iPhone, mainly due to that plastic casing, which yo may think is ugly. And that is just fine too.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I don't know any 'real' tech sites, not opinion based garbage sites!, that said the design of the S3 "sucks". Your personal opinions and reality are a bit skewed.

As forthe battery, I can tell you have never used an Android type of phone. You charge one, then take it ut of the phone and charge the one you plan to use. I keep my second battery (which by the way is small) in my pocket. Never even notice it. When I need more power, i pop it in. I can get over 28 hours of moderate use before needing a charger.

As for a battery case, yes I have one of those as well and it works just like yours, i only use it for long trips though. It's from Powerskin and has a nice 4 led indicator to tell me how much juice is left. Basically, I can take a plane all the way to the ther side of the planet without the need to charge my phone. (Watching videos non-stop too). Now you could do the same with the iphone and buy a couple of battery cases for $40-$80 bucks a piece (3rd rail mobility is an awesme battery case, but expensive), but the battery is much smaller and easier to deal with, sinse it is in my pocket. Additionally, My 2250 mA battery only cost $15, shipped. ( 14 hours and 27 minutes per charge with moderate use, which means actually using it 50% of the time to me.)

I am not sayin the iPhone sucks, looks like garbage or anything like that. I wouldn't have bought one if Thought that, but in my personal opinion and based off extensive use of both iPhones and my S2 Skyrocket, the Samsung fits my needs better. And the S3 really fits my needs! And I happen to think it looks just fine. After all, it is thinner and lighter than the iPhone, mainly due to that plastic casing, which yo may think is ugly. And that is just fine too.

I was responding to this statement:

Replace GSIII for iPhone4s and this reads like tech sites after the release of the latest iPhone.

I am not aware of any tech sites saying the iPhone 4S looked like crap. Any complaints were aimed at the design not changing, they all love the iPhone 4 design.

I've spent many years with replaceable battery phones, and it was a pain to keep all of the batteries constantly charged. There are a variety of iPhone cases, and external batteries that come with their own chargers, some that allow you to charge both the phone and external battery at the same one. They are similarly priced to the Android extra batteries I've seen, but much more convenient. You should check them out :)

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I think part of the problem that people fail to grasp is that BUILD QUALITY is not indicative of how a device will hold up from everyday ACCIDENTAL ABUSE.

My Gnex got a a small scratch on its screen within 48 hours of ownership. My iPhone has yet to have ANY scratches on the phone after 6 months of use.

Does this mean the Gnex is made from ****** materials further allowing us to deem the device suffers from bad Build Quality?

Moreover, BUILD quality is determined by the actual quality of the parts that were used to construct the phone. Take the plastic used in the GS3 vs the plastic used on the HTC X for example. While they both share the origination of materials (plastic) one device uses a more advanced form of technology that further increases the quality of a device while the other uses older technology that is unable to produce the same level of quality.

Now differences of opinion arise due to the subjective nature of quality which is why we are having this debate in the first place.

Whether a phone survived a 6 foot fall or not does not depend on build quality.
For example the materials used to construct my 6 year old dumb phone are vastly inferior to that of my iPhone, but I can guarantee if I drop both from height of 6 feet, I can guess with 99% accuracy which one will break and which one won't.

Posted from my shattered back iPhone 4S

I am totally amazed at some of the comments I keep seeing here about build quality. Where does this notion that plastic is "cheap" and "inferior" come from? This is just absolute garbage. I see nobody here has any engineering education.

Please note I am not necessarily disputing the quoted comment but it does epitomise the topic. The misconception that a "glass and aluminium sandwich" is "superior" or "stronger" or "better materials" or "better build quality" is just that - a misconception - and Apple have no trouble selling this idea to the gullible. Let me assure you that aluminium is NOT a good choice to enclose glass in if you want it to support a drop. Instead of this primitive conception of "quality materials" how about you put it into context. What properties do you hope to achieve? You want a phone that is robust enough to survive an impact without damage, right? PLASTIC IS SHOCK ABSORBING. It's simply THE RIGHT CHOICE. Anything stiffer is just going to transfer the stress straight to the glass and internals. If you made an egg carton out of aluminium and dropped it to the floor do you think the eggs would be better off?

Let's get real now. The iPhone is constructed of CHEAP PARTS intended to create a misleading impression of quality. Aluminium is perhaps a good choice if you want to appeal to people's misconception (abuse their trust) but plastic is almost certainly the best engineered choice. I sure do trust Samsung's engineering capabilities more than Apple since Samsung actually perform R&D, product development, and manufacturing. By comparison, Apple... buy all their parts off Samsung.

Please acknowledge that Apple is PROFIT-CENTRIC whereas Samsung is QUALITY-CENTRIC. That's a fact. Samsung build a more quality product out of more expensive and reliable (and newer) components, and they compromise on their margin of profit in order to do so, out of respect for their customers.

iPhones break all the time. Probably more than any other phone ever made. The return rate is phenomenal. Here's an interesting point: there are many more Android phones out there in the world than iPhones (fact), yet how often do you hear of a broken Android phone? It's very rare, especially with the build quality of modern Samsung products (if you don't believe get hold of one of each and TRY to break it). I can't say the same for Apple - or any Apple product for that matter - it's just CHEAP CRAP manufactured in a CHEAP CHINESE SWEATSHOP. But don't take my word for it. Listen to the IT professional in the video below. He has repaired THOUSANDS of iPhones but only ever two Android tablets and NOT A SINGLE ANDROID PHONE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjyIYRQn4Eo

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I see nobody here has any engineering education.

Yourself included.

PLASTIC IS SHOCK ABSORBING. It's simply THE RIGHT CHOICE.

Yes, if all you plan on doing with your phone is dropping it on concrete.

I sure do trust Samsung's engineering capabilities more than Apple since Samsung actually perform R&D, product development, and manufacturing. By comparison, Apple... buy all their parts off Samsung.

LOL. Samsungs R&D department consists of a guy refreshing the iPhone section of the Apple website every 3 seconds to see if anything has changed.

Please acknowledge that Apple is PROFIT-CENTRIC whereas Samsung is QUALITY-CENTRIC. That's a fact. Samsung build a more quality product out of more expensive and reliable (and newer) components, and they compromise on their margin of profit in order to do so, out of respect for their customers.

This is the biggest load of bull I have ever read. Samsung is a massive conglomerate that churns out every bit as much crap as it does at the higher end. And as far as what you're saying about Samsung building a more quality product with more expensive and newer components, if Apple is buying ALL of their stuff from Samsung (as you state) surely that makes what you're saying complete garbage.

iPhones break all the time.

Translation: I have never used an iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
iPhones break all the time. Probably more than any other phone ever made. The return rate is phenomenal. Here's an interesting point: there are many more Android phones out there in the world than iPhones (fact), yet how often do you hear of a broken Android phone? It's very rare, especially with the build quality of modern Samsung products (if you don't believe get hold of one of each and TRY to break it). I can't say the same for Apple - or any Apple product for that matter - it's just CHEAP CRAP manufactured in a CHEAP CHINESE SWEATSHOP. But don't take my word for it. Listen to the IT professional in the video below. He has repaired THOUSANDS of iPhones but only ever two Android tablets and NOT A SINGLE ANDROID PHONE.

Ok one guy posts on youtube is your source? What is your source for return rates?

Also you DO know Samsung uses cheap Chinese labour?

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Samsung_Group#Labor

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/06/us-samsung-china-idUSTRE7B50B920111206

www.tradett.com/samsung-products/

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
LOL. Samsungs R&D department consists of a guy refreshing the iPhone section of the Apple website every 3 seconds to see if anything has changed.

LOL, It's funny, because it's true!

This time nothing changed so they had to come up with something on their own... result, Galaxy S III... plastic, inspired by nature.

And I don't even have anything against plastic, when it's done right. Lumia 800 is plastic, One X is plastic, it's just that Samsung chooses to use the *********, shiniest, cheapest looking plastic with a terrible texture and a terrible design. They should've kept the Galaxy S II design, it is a much better looking phone than Galaxy S III and used a matte polycarbonate.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
ICS is a great ROM. Fast and smooth. I do hope that when GS3 comes to the US, the version my carrier gets is a 4.5" and not that 4.8" version.

Id get the HTC One if they had put a microcard in it. At least the One X has a 32 GB memory. The ONE S only has 16 GB.
There's going to be smaller versions of the GS3 (4.5") or are you talking about something else? If so that'd be cool, I have nothing against the larger phones just not for me, obviously plenty of others love them though. 4.3" GSII has just the perfect size and form factor for me. I'd have to see how the 4.8" GSIII is, the case of the GSII is so thin that even though the screen is 4.3" it barely feels larger than my iPhones.

Think the other thing is the case is throwing some people off on the GSIII b/c of the physical home button the international version always has. But we get the capacitive button models here, so wonder if the'll shrink the bottom of the case a bit to save space?

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
You should of looked more closely. Didnt you notice the link said Daringfireball.net? Thats where it originated from.

Incorrect, the quote originated from Android Police. Daringfireball.net simply quoted Android Police.

As I said, I'm pretty sure Android Police is an Android site.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
I am a big Android geek, and was holding my breath waiting for the Galaxy S III announcement, and after a few days, I have to say, not that impressed. And I really wanted to be.

Few reasons I am lukewarm;

- Screen = no better than the Galaxy Nexus ( was expecting + version of AMOLED HD ) and being bigger then the Nexus, makes it a hair worse dpi.

- Phone design / case = boring, and plain, the HTC One X looks tons nicer.

- TouchWizz = :rolleyes: I am a purest and love stock vanilla Android, and TouchWizz just blows, looks so cheap, and just a bad UI. I would take Sense 4 over TouchWizz any day. But nothing beats stock ICS.

Bottom line, I recommend waiting for the Nexus-Four, is only like 5 months out or so.

Last edited:

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I am totally amazed at some of the comments I keep seeing here about build quality. Where does this notion that plastic is "cheap" and "inferior" come from? This is just absolute garbage. I see nobody here has any engineering education.

You don't need an engineering degree to make an intelligent observation about the build quality of Samsung devices. Samsung smartphones tend to use a coating (or type) of plastic that leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. Yes, durability is more important than the look and touch of a device. But consumers still cannot refrain from sharing their impressions of a smartphone if they pick it up and feel there is simply something 'cheap' about the device in general. This is how I feel about pretty much every Samsung phone I've encountered and to tell anyone they are wrong about such an opinion is absurd.

The One X is proof that polycarbonate can be made to look and feel awesome in your hand.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
The One X is proof that polycarbonate can be made to look and feel awesome in your hand.

Exactly, the One X is a beautifully deigned phone, I was expecting Samsung to come out with some unique ceramic case or something ? But going with the shiny smooth plastic looks so 2010 and dated already to be honest. I don't love the design of my Galaxy Nexus that much, but it looks better than the S3 for sure.

And TouchWizz still looks cheap, and to plain. At least Sense offers smart widgets and good e-mail and contact apps, much better than anything TouchWizz offers. Plus this new TouchWizz still looks too much like a Gingerbread UI, where is the "Holo" theme design ?

Still think the best Android phone this year will be the Nexus-Four, mainly for the improved stock software, not so much the hardware per-say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.