Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Youtube is too buggy for something free, I would not pay 7.99 a month from the people that brought me buggy youtube.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Why would I spend $8 per month when it is so easy to use adblock and download youtube content already? This is a bad move by Google.

They're trying to offer you a service where you don't have to resort to illegal methods of getting music.

The problem is it's Youtube, the streaming market is saturated, and it's too easy to go down the illegal method in the first place.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Why would I spend $8 per month when it is so easy to use adblock and download youtube content already? This is a bad move by Google.
Wow.......what a jerk move. You do realize people male money off people watching ads right? You are effectively lowering their income. For shame.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
I often have to reload the page or revert to 144p (on a 20 mbps connection) just to watch a video on YouTube.

I'm not willing to pay just to experience some of this without ads (which always play fine) and have a legal offline mode for that subset.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Wow.......what a jerk move. You do realize people make money off people watching ads right? You are effectively lowering their income. For shame.

Honestly I find comments like the guy you quoted more showing people's age more so lack of maturity. 10 years ago that would of been my answer. Now I am at a point in my life that
1. I can afford to just pay for the stuff
2. It is more trouble and time than it is worth for me to pirated it.

Answer 1 and 2 are the exact reasons why I have things like Google Play All access for music and I got it at the $8 a month point.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
They should have just streamlined it and say All Access now includes ad-free music videos powered by YouTube.

How hard would it have been to do that?

Wow.......what a jerk move. You do realize people male money off people watching ads right? You are effectively lowering their income. For shame.

If Google really cared, they would have patched it years and years ago.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
How much do I have to pay to have YouTube understand portrait-format videos and fill the screen when your phone is held normally? :p

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Music Videos? They still waste time making those?

I haven't watched a vapid music video in over 20 years. What's the point? There are more interesting and free things to watch on the internet then Miley Cyrus twerking to god awful music.

Also who buys a music video? Seriously if you wasted money specifically buying a music video you might have to acknowledge you have a serious problem because no sane person wastes money on a music video because it's kind of like wiping your ass with a $1 bill and flushing it down the toilet, and at least that dollar served a purpose.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Their website boldly states 'Background listening' as a key feature.

Looking forward to the app update, then. Being able to put the display to sleep and have the audio keep playing is something the YouTube app should have had in version 1.0 or 1.1.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Dont care about it, but i'm afraid that youtube is going to start removing song videos that were uploaded by random people just so they'll force people to switch to this Youtube key if they'll want to listen/watch songs

And why is the "background listening" so special? I had that on iphone 3 years ago... they're bragging about it like Apple was bragging when it first introduced MMS in iphone 3g...

WinstonRumfoord

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2014
LOL another streaming service asking for money.

Bet this takes off like iTunes Radio, right face first into the dirt.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
YouTube buggy? LOL!!!

Please. It every now and then resets the window size (from big player back to small player), it doesn't remember your preference on whether you want to autoplay the next videos or not, it can;t remember you annotations preference (on/off), black screens (although it has cut down a lot), mobile comments don't load as fast as they did, and on a touch screen device it is really easy to press on of the comments which takes you away from the video you were watching, if you have 1 tab in Safari on iPad which is Youtube in full screen then you to another tab then close the second tab it then has a white block at the bottom of the page as it can't resize automatically (you have to turn your iPad in portrait then back into landscape), no 480p option for HTML 5 playback (only 240p, 360p and 720p) and it still uses Flash as default (and it makes you select the HTML5 version from youtube.com/html5 as if you don't have Flash installed and you used Safari if doesn't load half the time without setting it up).

Plus there is the massive fact that if you have the Youtube app and don't use your account, the size of the app keeps growing and growing and there is no way to clear they history/cache it is building up as you are not signed in.

Need I go on, it is buggy on all devices I use (iMac, Windows PC's, tablets, phones).

Last edited:

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Prediction

This will go down in flames in short order. The You Tube generation will not pony up for this when the likes of Adblock & others are out there, not to mention paying for low quality. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.