Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xSeaside

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2013
Background listening is great, but paying for it? Hell no

I hate to be negative, I really do, but what a aweful amateurish promo.

Wait - so I still get the annoying ads for all other videos on YouTube? Fail.

I think these 3 points summarise very well why I am not even gonna bother with Google's music subscription service. Since I'm gonna dump my (crappy) Android phone soon, I could care less about Google anyway.

But hey it's a big corporation, so they wouldn't give the users what they really want (totally ad-free Youtube).

Last edited:

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I love everyone that is saying the equivalent of this.

"Why would I pay money? When I can just illegally download the music from youtube?"

Stop being scumbags

"You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content."

https://www.youtube.com/static?gl=CA&template=terms

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Is Music Key just ad-free Youtube?

That is, is Google also allowing the amateur (often copywrite) content through as shown in their promo video? I hope they are planning to make a better UI ... the existing one isn't very good.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
As others have said, this is worth it just for the $2 discount on Google Play Music subscription. I got mine for the promo price of $7.99 per month when the service was released and I use it every day.

I'll have to check out the Youtube thing(although I don't particularly care for watching music videos). :cool:

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Dont care about it, but i'm afraid that youtube is going to start removing song videos that were uploaded by random people just so they'll force people to switch to this Youtube key if they'll want to listen/watch songs

And why is the "background listening" so special? I had that on iphone 3 years ago... they're bragging about it like Apple was bragging when it first introduced MMS in iphone 3g...
they already do that. It is done on by the content provider going after copy right infrenchmendt.

----------

As others have said, this is worth it just for the $2 discount on Google Play Music subscription. I got mine for the promo price of $7.99 per month when the service was released and I use it every day.

I'll have to check out the Youtube thing(although I don't particularly care for watching music videos). :cool:

oh so true. I have never once regretted me getting all access. Big time at the reduced rate.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Don't steal music

If you use a 'downloader app' to download a youtube video to MOV or MP3,,, you are stealing music. Be nice, don't steal music, please.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Do any of these apps disable pre-roll video ads and skip straight to the video?

I would pay a monthly subscription just for that.

Weblock blocks 99% of all ads for me, including Youtube, it's a charm! Another reason why Jailbreak is dead for me.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I'm currently in a trial month of Google Play Music All Access. I wonder if this will automatically be included? If it gets rid of ads in Youtube, AND gives you All Access, it'll be worth it. Right now I'm debating whether or not the 9.99 price for All Access is worth it..

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lol ... yet Google is to cheap to pay the german "Society for musical performing and mechanical reproduction rights" and instead rather continue to block almost every music vodeo on youtube. pathetic.

also lol at 8$ yet ive never seen a single ad on youtube either ... force html5 and flash blocker ftw

ill stick to Vevo and spotify

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
$7.99 for the ability to listen to low-quality music files?
lol

This. I'm always perplexed by how many people use YoutTube to actively listen to music. I'm pretty sure if you upload a 128kbps mp3 YouTube somehow manages to degrade it down to 64kbps, and the sheep don't seem to notice.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
So Beats will not be joining iTunes? WTF? Didn't Apple buy them out this is not right, who wants to pay for another streaming service when you have iTunes Match.

NDRes

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2014
I love everyone that is saying the equivalent of this.

"Why would I pay money? When I can just illegally download the music from youtube?"

Stop being scumbags

"You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content."

https://www.youtube.com/static?gl=CA&template=terms

It's a legitimate point. If your content distribution website is already a haven for distributing copyrighted material for free, what persuadable benefit is there for to becoming a paid subscriber to the same website?

Spotify has been quite satisying to me. Youtube, on the other hand, not so much. It's fine for the occasional look up of a track, but for a dedicated service, there's much better out there.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This may be good... but just like any streaming service, it may not take off in the end.

I don't get this from Youtube though.... Users can already stream most of those videos anyway for free. why would they pay to watch the same videos?

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
lol the comments to this are absurd.

This is $7.99 for the YouTube extras plus Google Music All Access. I don't know if you guys are aware of this but All Access is like Rdio, Spotify, or Beats. It's on demand music streaming with offline playback, radio, curated playlists with songza integration, and it has one feature none of those other services do - the ability to upload your own music for free. It's like iTunes Match except for free. So actually, the YouTube key thing is just icing on the cake, and at $7.99 a month you're actually getting a lot more than you would with one of those other services.

----------

I'm currently in a trial month of Google Play Music All Access. I wonder if this will automatically be included? If it gets rid of ads in Youtube, AND gives you All Access, it'll be worth it. Right now I'm debating whether or not the 9.99 price for All Access is worth it..

They have already stated that All Access will be included with this YouTube Key thing. If you subscribe to one, you get the other for free.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

YouTube today announced a new subscription streaming service, YouTube Music Key, which is currently in beta. The service offers up ad-free music on YouTube, along with background play and offline viewing.

Priced at $7.99 (discounted from $9.99), YouTube Music Key also includes a subscription to Google's Spotify competitor, Google Play Music (formerly Google Play All Access), which includes more than 30 million songs and will feature the ability to watch official YouTube videos directly within the app.

YouTube: video
Some streaming music services, like Spotify, offer a limited number of music videos, but ad-free access to high-quality popular videos is a feature that will be unique to YouTube Music Key and its sister service, Google Play Music.

Alongside YouTube Music Key, the YouTube apps for iOS and Android and YouTube.com have been updated with a new section dedicated to music videos, which provides recommended mood-based playlists and features trending music. The new focus on music will also highlight full-length albums and artist pages.

YouTube Music Key is currently in beta, with access going to the company's "biggest music fans" first before seeing a wider worldwide launch. YouTube users who receive an invite to the Music Key beta will receive six months of access for free. Customers who sign up for Google Play Music will get immediate access to the YouTube Music Key beta.

Article Link: YouTube Announces 'YouTube Music Key' Subscription Streaming Service for $7.99 Per Month

you mean if i subscribe i can play music on the background on the iOS app too?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Why would anyone buy music at all ever because it can be pirated?

I always buy my music on iTunes for supporting artists I love. 3-4 albums a year and even considering I'm poor I can still eat. Pirating is not right. It is convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.