Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube is adding a new dark theme to its iOS app, which is rolling out to iOS users starting today, reports The Verge.

The new theme, once available, can be activated by tapping on your account icon, selecting settings, and choosing "dark theme" to turn it on. Dark theme will invert many of the colors of the YouTube AI, replacing the traditional white background with a black background.

youtube-mobile-800x704.jpg
Image via Redditor amievengabereal

YouTube introduced a hidden dark mode feature for the desktop starting last year, and since then, the feature has been one of the most requested for its mobile apps.

The dark theme for mobile devices has been in testing for the last few months and it has been previously available to a small number of YouTube users.

You may not see the new dark theme available as an option right away, but it should be rolling out to all iOS users over the course of the day. YouTube also says a dark mode is coming to Android in the near future.

YouTube is a free download for iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube for iOS Gains New Dark Mode

Reactions: audiophilosophy

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
While this is a nice addition, it's still missing essential features like background playback and picture-in-picture. Not to mention their custom video player doesn't include an on-screen volume control (what's so wrong with the stock player available to all iOS apps, Google?) and the comments display is a waste of time.

If I ever get any spare time I'm going to write my own custom YouTube app and put it on GitHub so anyone can build and install it rather than something that Google can have disappeared from the App Store.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
While this is a nice addition, it's still missing essential features like background playback and picture-in-picture. Not to mention their custom video player doesn't include an on-screen volume control (what's so wrong with the stock player available to all iOS apps, Google?) and the comments display is a waste of time.

If I ever get any spare time I'm going to write my own custom YouTube app and put it on GitHub so anyone can build and install it rather than something that Google can have disappeared from the App Store.
They want to sell you Youtube Red for background playback.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
...while you're at it, can YouTube stop recommending Doug Demuro and Joe Rogen to me? I visit Youtube, click subscriptions and watch everything there. I don't go to trending or watch recommend videos and I keep auto play turned off. I've never watched a video from either of these guys but YouTube is convinced I want to.

I honestly wish they'd let me block creators I'll never watch. I'd have a huge block list by now including fine brothers and every click bait Vlogger out there making videos for teenagers.

Edit: Just opted out of everything recommended...let's see if that works:

nXj7yMq.png

I only use YouTube on my AppleTV and nowhere else and AppleTV doesn't offer that opt out X button next to recommended content. Maybe it does on iOS? IDK.

Edit 2: OMG I think it worked? Nothing recommended

7thOsNo.png

Edit3: Nope, just went to my AppleTV. it's recommending Ben Shapiro and Logan Paul . two topics I don't care about. Can i customize AppleTV YouTube to default on my subscriptions page? I don't want to see any of these jokers.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Can it do it automatically based upon time of day/lighting conditions?

I have noticed that I don't end up using the dark modes that require manual invocation
[doublepost=1520960133][/doublepost]
Ya have to pay for YouTube Red for that feature. Lame!

I don't think even YT:Red has Picture in Picture outside the YT app though, does it?

I think they don't want anything that might steal your focus away from ADs, but again, I don't see why YT:Red can't get PiP since you're paying to remove the ADs w/ that service.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
I somehow must have been one of the lucky small group of users. I've had this feature for a couple of months now. Nice to see it finally rolling out to everyone.

Reactions: Cayden

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I’ve been reloading the app since I saw this on Twitter earlier this morning. Just now became available for me. Looks nice, but wish it was a true black background rather than dark gray. Oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: AsarTheGod
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.