Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
My understanding is Google has the LOWEST payout to creators even below the horrendous payout by Spotify and Apple https://www.unionofmusicians.org/un-report
But your link is about music. When it comes to amateur video creators I don’t know any other platform that pays out as much as Youtube does.

YouTube is also a free video hosting service with unlimited storage. If you think about it that is a huge expense to maintain so that’s why they need ads.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
I've always thought its madly overpriced. Use the brave browser = no ads.
I enjoy no ads while watching on TV though, because I have premium. I also have an unlimited supply of music. I for one love YouTube without the ads on all of my devices, and it is very worth it. I wish they had an option that was ONLY for YouTube so I didn’t need the music side, but still enjoy it.

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
It is only popular because they ramped up the amount of ads you have to watch, Apple stopped allowing attachments like uBlock Origin in Safari as well, I would rather support creators than not, but the adverts are excessive. I watch YouTube mostly on my phone so had no choice but to pay the money.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but I have adblock that does work on YouTube - but I often hit a black screen on videos that just does nothing. If I refresh a buttload of times, sometimes it comes up… but more often than not I just launch a different browser that I don’t have an adblock extension on and just deal with it.
This might sound overkill but you might want to try this:

Adguard + uBlock Origin + Kaspersky Protection + Malwarebytes Browser Guard

You can have that on Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge on desktop...

I use Adguard on Safari on iOS and Adguard on Yandex browser on android... I don't watch YouTube outside of the app and I have the Premium subscription for that...

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
IMO the only reason this service exists is because it's a solution to a problem that Google created on purpose. "Don't you hate getting all those ads during videos? You can pay us and we'll get rid of them!"

It's a far cry from when ads were first introduced and they only played once every few videos.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Maybe I should have said hidden or not immediately available due to some songs/music exclusive to Japan and other countries but not where I live...

And as for the Japanese songs I am referring to, they are mostly the opening, ending, insert themes from anime or live action shows/movies...

I guess because of the fairly low subscription price that's the reason for the limited Japanese songs/music availability...

Okay I think I have explained myself more than I should...

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
IMO the only reason this service exists is because it's a solution to a problem that Google created on purpose. "Don't you hate getting all those ads during videos? You can pay us and we'll get rid of them!"

It's a far cry from when ads were first introduced and they only played once every few videos.
You could say the same with the introduction of the no headphone jack iPhone 7 series and AirPods...

Creating a problem and a solution to the problem at the same time...

Ninjaman

Suspended
Jul 13, 2021
I'll never understand why people subscribe to services instead of buying products. I suppose it's a matter of accepting whatever the neighbour does, because if people used their minds instead of looking at the neighbour, this youtube service would have got below a dozen subscribers, and the transition from products to services wouldn't have happened. It's sad, because the right to own things might have its days numbered, considering how easy has been to fool people.
BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I’m betting you subscribe to most of apple services but if it’s another brand…..

silentdevotion

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Wow I wasn’t aware this service was THAT popular.
I mainly pay for Youtube Premium to get rid of ads, I have been using ad blockers for years but Youtube upper their game and killed ever service I use. It's pay $11 a month or have 3-4 ads in every video that I watch. It's not like TV where the videos are made around ads, ads pop up at the worse time possible.

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
I am one of those who used to use the Vanced app to skip ads from videos [though it can't do anything with ads/sponsorships by the YouTube creators]...

But since I don't jailbreak my iPhone and I don't want to mess with the android TV so as to be able to skip ads, I then decided to subscribe to YouTube Premium initially to skip those ads and download the videos within the app...

I used to have Spotify Premium and Apple Music subscription but then I learned that if you do not have your account set to Japan, even if you can use a VPN to spoof your location as if you are in Japan, the music I listen to are mostly Japanese, you still have limited access to Japanese library...

I also do not have a payment method that can be used in Japan and the only time you can change the country is once you are on a free account or the subscription has expired... This is what I know about Spotify but not sure about Apple Music...

I recently found the same [limited Japanese library] with YouTube Music which is free as part of YouTube Premium subscription, but I decided to stick with YouTube and drop Spotify and Apple Music since I can still access Japanese content while using a VPN and some of the music/songs that are locked only to Japan are now being made available to YouTube Music...

The more Band-Maid the better!

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Congrats, YouTube you pitiful wankers, you've made your service so unusable with ads for people who don't subscribe that you've left no choice but to subscribe or never go there. Great business model, that.

Reactions: tonyr6

grobik

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
I was doing a construction project and got strong armed into subscribing. Could not deal with 3 minutes of adds for 30 seconds of instruction. Especially mid project.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but I have adblock that does work on YouTube - but I often hit a black screen on videos that just does nothing. If I refresh a buttload of times, sometimes it comes up… but more often than not I just launch a different browser that I don’t have an adblock extension on and just deal with it.
Ublock origin in firefox kills everything.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Unsurprising given the aggressive advertising. I really wish YouTube would stop pushing this in annoying pop-ups.
I agree. I also don't even use Apple Music on my phone anymore, as it's constantly asking me to subscribe. I'm already using Spotify w/ family plan … don't need another. The constant pop ups for a free trial make me less likely to consider the platform.

sdz

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
Also many of the big YouTubers who review products get them for nothing by the company yet they still have ads and ask for more money.
The old internet was better. People paid to share their knowledge and ideas (own homepages cost money!)

sharing is human nature and should stay accessible, free and without interference of advertising companies.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Also there is no point of downloading video using premium if YouTube pulls the video the download is useless.

I also hate how YouTube keeps pulling videos and channels I like so I use Downie to download it so I won't lose it.

Reactions: BornAgainMac

jbrwTP7u

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2020
Since there is no side load and I cant use Android I have got myself an Indian youtube premium. 1.5€ / month, not bad value.

Reactions: sdz

UberTiger

macrumors member
May 9, 2009
sharing is human nature and should stay accessible, free and without interference of advertising companies.

You do realise that a ludicrous amount of incredibly valuable knowledge is more accessible than ever thanks to youtube, and 100% free via video, which is notoriously expensive to host and distribute, all because ads pay for it?

Reactions: ian87w
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.