Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiv.atso

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2021
Just checked prices in UK. £16 monthly subscription or £22 family (which I would need to go for). No, thanks. Not worth it. Adblock is free 🤷🏻‍♂️

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I hate google for their privacy stuff but the premium is so much worth it, I think its like $10 for 5 family members.that makes about $2 per user per month. I am really suspicious that this is enough for them to run the service. Something smells fishy here.

The other problem is that YouTube(Google) owns like 99% of video on the web, the whole humanity is relying on this 1 company for videos on the web. Thats some serious control. All hail capitalism competition!!

As for people who say youtube is best streaming service, how is this? It does not have any shows or movies or hardly does. Its mostly short videos and clips.

Reactions: hxlover904

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I agree with you generally.
Owning >>> subs.

I pay for YT premium because I HATE ads. I’m so sick of them.
That and background play (when falling asleep for example).

I had thousands of CDs. I just don’t see it possible to own a library to compete with YouTube or Spotify.

do you see what I mean?
Yes, I understand you (although I'd rather prefer having the right to watch a movie or a series as many times as I wish, forever, rather than paying for something that can cease to exist at anytime and disappear).

But the change we are into is far deeper, because this services trend is not about movies or music: it affects software licenses as well, and many other things we used to buy. Even the iPhone and the iPad can be understood as services, because they are designed as products that will be renewed by users every two years (if not yearly), which really looks like a subscription plan. If anybody here can remember what the Mac was about... it had zero things in common with this new reality.

It's foreseeable that many readers in this thread would welcome if the Apple Car was a service rather than a product.

The change is likely to affect our whole life. And, when it comes the day when you no longer buy things (not even food), because the Government gives your weekly quota of whatever you "should" need, then... the process will be completed, and undoing it will take decades, if not a century.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
For me I watch YouTube more than any other streaming service. Netflix would come in 2nd. I also love YouTube music.

danmoo117

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
I would imagine the majority of people have YT Music when their main intention of their premium subscription was to have ad free YT on their TV/ AppleTV which is exactly my scenario. I’m an Apple One subscriber and have not used YT Music once since being a premium member.

Reactions: Abazigal

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I'll never understand why people subscribe to services instead of buying products. I suppose it's a matter of accepting whatever the neighbour does, because if people used their minds instead of looking at the neighbour, this youtube service would have got below a dozen subscribers, and the transition from products to services wouldn't have happened. It's sad, because the right to own things might have its days numbered, considering how easy has been to fool people.
I used to think like this, but I do not anymore. I am a happy subscriber to YouTube Premium, which includes YouTube Music and is a far better value than Spotify or Apple Music. And also a far better value than buying my own products.

I used to buy my own music. I had a collection of CDs, which I spent a fortune on. And it was never complete: the collection was always limited and I could only listen to music that was actually on those CDs. And then CDs got obsolete. I could rip all those CDs to MP3 format (which also got obsolete) to listen on an MP3 player, but it was a lot of work to do. I could put all my songs on all my devices, and I had to do it manually. And the collection would still be limited.

Services like Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, or anything similar, are great. They allow me to listen to any song in a huge library of some 50 million songs or more. I can find anything I want there, and I am not limited. I have a playlist of some 3,500 songs. If I were going to buy each of them separately, I would spend some $3,500 if I paid $1 for each. I pay some $5 a month for YouTube Premium (here in Brazil), and it allows me to listen to my playlist and to anything else I want. Buying the whole playlist would cost me more than 50 years of subscription to YouTube Premium, and I would not get any of the extras. Plus, YouTube Premium, as well as Spotify or Apple Music, is easy: it is on any device I sign on to. No need to sync or to manually copy anything. I have nearly all the music in the world that I can think of on any device and at any time. I do not own it, but then again I only pay some $5 a month for it.

TV streaming services are less worth it, but still more worth it than buying my own films. My movies on DVD require a DVD player, which is something I am no longer willing to have. I bought several movies on iTunes, but I can only watch them on my Apple TV or other Apple devices. Netflix or Disney+ or Apple TV+ allows me to watch content on any device and it is effortless. Even on my smartphone during a trip.

Sometimes I got the feeling that subscribing to a service does not make the music or the movies really mine. But that is also precisely the case when I buy a CD or a DVD. I only get a license to use the intellectual property and on limited terms. And CDs, DVDs, MP3s, they all got obsolete, and any collection I had became some sort of memorabilia. For me, what is important is to have access to the content and those streaming services are far better at that.

Even products that can be bought, despite being your own, are not forever (except perhaps for diamonds). A computer, for instance, has a lifespan. When you buy a Mac, Apple will support it for a given time. After that, Apple stops supporting it and you will probably have to replace it. The feeling of actually owning it is largely psychological, as you may think of it as a 5 or 10-year subscription that you pay upfront when you buy it. Companies need you to keep spending money on either purchases or subscriptions so they can keep their cash flow. They may prefer subscriptions as it may promote more customer loyalty.

I agree that not everything can turn into services. Some products are still worth having, especially durable ones or those which are not frequently renovated. Owning a house, a car, a computer, or a smartphone, may still be worth it in most cases. And there software companies that are trying to turn their software which is traditionally upgraded only yearly into a subscription service; this of course sounds like complete nonsense and an attempt to rip-off customers. People are indeed trying to turn everything on a service to have a constant flow of income (instead of one-offs). But the fact is that some consumer goods are better as a product and others as a service. In the end, what really matters is the cost/benefit ratio you get when using either a product or a service.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
YouTube is really mostly a giant advertisement for **** I don’t need. Still, there is a lot of decent kids content on there. And YouTube music is just ok. While the India price is nice, I much prefer the Argentina price ;)

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Morally I'm 100% against google's ransom, but I'm starting to cave in as I watch lots of yt on mobile, and I don't want to use safari on the iPhone.
What? Do you think the entire hosting infrastructure is free? It costs millions to maintain a service like YouTube.

cgs1xx

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2018
London, UK
YouTube Music doesn’t make sense the way it works now. It’s basically a separate app where you listen to the music from the videos, which you can also do via the main YouTube app if you’re paying for the premium. Also, it’s so expensive!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Why do people still not understand the majority of people watch YouTube on their phones, tablets and TVs where the option to block ads doesn’t exist.

Have you tried the Brave browser from the post you quoted? That might be a solution for iPhones and iPads, leaving only the TV void of that functionality.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I'll never understand why people subscribe to services instead of buying products. I suppose it's a matter of accepting whatever the neighbour does, because if people used their minds instead of looking at the neighbour, this youtube service would have got below a dozen subscribers, and the transition from products to services wouldn't have happened. It's sad, because the right to own things might have its days numbered, considering how easy has been to fool people.

I can think of a few reasons. What’s the point of buying & owning something so transient as music? I will personally get bored listening to the same track all over again after a while. Besides, the subscription services let you discover new music you might like based on what you are listening to now. Also, if you don’t live alone, you can share your subscription plan with up to 6 people in total, so each one ends up paying around 2.50$/€/£ per month, so a win-win for all.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I hate they include the music. I don’t want it since I have Apple Music. I would like to have YouTube lite with no music tier included and cheaper pricing.
I have used Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube Music. There are small differences, but I do not see why one would be so much better than the other. They all have virtually every track I can think of, a search engine, and allow us to build playlists. They are all basically the same. I subscribe to YouTube Music because I get access to the videos without the ads, and that is the real plus for me.

clive27

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I've subscribed to both Apple One family plan and the Youtube Premium family plan. I didn't know that Youtube Music comes with Youtube Premium. I'm going to cancel Apple One and only keep iCloud, saving $20/month. I hated Apple Music played 1/3 of K-POP in the Japanese version. If I want to listen to K-POP, why would I want to listen to it in Japanese in the US?

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
I've subscribed to both Apple One family plan and the Youtube Premium family plan. I didn't know that Youtube Music comes with Youtube Premium. I'm going to cancel Apple One and only keep iCloud, saving $20/month. I hated Apple Music played 1/3 of K-POP in the Japanese version. If I want to listen to K-POP, why would I want to listen to it in Japanese in the US?
That’s what I did. I still need iCloud for photos and HomeKit secure video. YouTube music is good enough and YouTube is just used way more.

InnocenceMyth

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Wow. You don’t like something, you don’t choose to use it, so those who do obviously can’t think for themselves. Great logic.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I subbed YouTube premium once ad blockers stopped being effective. I’ll never go back. I consume more YouTube than anything else now… and I had no idea it even included YouTube music.

Reactions: Adam-Jobs

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
youTube has crappy audio - lots of songs I've listen to fall in 2 catalogues - bad compressed phase MP3 sound - or bad sound in Mono.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.