Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
If you get one subscription service for contents, YouTube Premium is the one to get. No ad on videos + top notch music curation for a price of Apple Music.

If you don't like paying subscription fees, then don't even try any free trials of YouTube Premium. You won't be able to get off.

Reactions: matthew12

matthew12

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
I think you can save lots of money by downloading Adblocker. This one is really good. Skips all ads instantly.

Doesn't work on mobile or TV's though. If you use YouTube primarily on desktop and only occasionally on mobile, adblock is fine. But as someone who lately watches videos on my TV or phone, YouTube Premium is great. Gives you "free" YouTube Music as well.

Giant_enemy_crab

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2019
What YouTube has done to “standard” 1080p is DISGUSTING. Just watch any movie trailer that gets uploaded in 1080p, it looks like 720p or worse because they’ve lowered the streaming bitrate so far. Shameful for them to charge extra for reasonable bitrates.

Reactions: snek

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2016
Apple has a rule that disallows iOS features to be put behind a paywall. But I believe the workaround is that as long as they provide some other features with the paywalled (iOS) feature, then it's allowed for some reason.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
The only reason I have YouTube Premium is to eliminate the ads. Totally worth every penny.

The other features are simply nice perks.

This is even better.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I think you can save lots of money by downloading Adblocker. This one is really good. Skips all ads instantly.

Block YouTube ads in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, Android or iPhone.

Does that include Chrome for Chromebook? I hear content creators get more revenue from paid subs, vs. just the money from ads. FWIW, YouTube Premium is convenient... you pay one sub and it works across multiple devices you access YouTube.

I really don't like paying for YouTube Premium. I feel like the price can be lowered. $4.99 per month maybe?
I've met folks who get YouTube Premium not for the ad-free YouTube.. but b/c they wanted YouTube Music! :oops: Ad-free YouTube is merely a bonus.

FWIW, if you get the family plan, that includes up to 6 accounts for $23/mo. And I hear (unlike Netflix), they're fairly lax about everyone having to be "under the same roof".

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Does anyone have an adblocker that works with YouTube on mobile Safari?

uBlock origin doesn’t have iOS support.

This is even better.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It’s so strange they decided to paywall “higher bitrate 1080p” instead of 4K, which is higher quality.

There is far more 1080p content than there is 4K content and I expect the vast majority of videos people actually watch are in 1080p rather than 4K so there is actual value to customers to have a superior 1080p viewing experience than a baseline 4K experience so they would actually subscribe to Premium.

I don’t get it. So enhanced 1080p is better than 4k? What’s the point of offering 4k then?

Not sure this is true, but if it is, there is content that benefits from being in 4K that can be watched on a 4K television.

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2016

This is even better.
THIS EXTENSION DOES NOT BLOCK NORMAL YOUTUBE ADS, ONLY SPONSORS INSIDE VIDEOS. Use Adguard along with this extension to block both types.

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
I subscribe to Youtube Premium because I listen to videos while I’m driving and the constant ads became unbearable. Just no ads makes this worthwhile. Also, I can have my maps app open and youtube in the background playing. Not sure if that is now availalbe to free users.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Honestly, YouTube Premium is the only streaming service I find value in day-after-day. YouTube creators put out so much quality content across such a wide array of subjects and interests. I find myself watching YouTube on my Apple TV more than Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV+, Prime, and HBO Max combined.

And as a bonus, I hear content creators get more revenue from YouTube Premium subs vs. just the ads from everyone else!

If I had to be stuck with just YouTube Premium as a ss (streaming service), I wouldn't mind. However, also having 1 of any of those other ss really does help round out the roster. One gripe against YT is they create their material to conform to YouTube's restrictions and algorithms. That has lead some content to go exclusively on other ss like Nebula, or "being gimped". Otherwise, I really dig just being able to fire up a new season of a TV show, ad-free, and on-demand (which you can do on YouTube as well, but in that case, you pay a la carte to purchase TV shows, or purchase/rent movies). Or, TV series from 5 to 20 years ago. I'm still relatively new to many of them (having used them for 3 to 12 months at most), so I still have a lot of content to go through. When that gets exhausted, we'll see which one we'd like to rotate to (if at all, barring if YouTube alone will be sufficient).

Last but not least, I was on YouTube Premium about a year ago, but I could swear that they doubled the commercials around that time! :eek:

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Does anyone miss the old YouTube icon? 🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻🙋🏻‍♂️

FcCApgeaIAA_lgR
Haha, not really. I mean, look at that 1950s TV set! I find it staggering that it was A) a concept that was actually presented and B) was actually approved. In 2007.

While skeuomorphism was a necessary means to an end - to train users ("ooh look - the Notes app looks like a legal notepad! Good thing it looks like that or I wouldn't now what a Notes app was supposed to offer") - I do think the nature of the iOS platform did/does warrant new visual language around familiar analogue things - like notepads. What a notepad can mean in iOS may not be the exact same as in the physical space. Thus, there is an opportunity for some iconography to reflect those potential deltas. Overall, I greatly prefer the post-Forestall efforts around visual language for icons in iOS. And yes there are misses. Always will be. Still... That YouTube TV icon... Look at that thing! 😂🤪😜

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2014
How long before Apple reject the next YouTube app update? System feature like SharePlay can’t be put behind the paywall on iOS. This was the issue with Picture and Picture and instead of making it a Premium feature on iOS, they had to turn it on for all users since it was a system feature when it came out of beta.
Totally agree. I have YouTube Premium (mainly for no ads and more convenient offline viewing), but I still think OS features shouldn’t paywalled, and thought that Apple didn’t allow it anyway. Just because it’s YouTube shouldn’t stop Apple from enforcing this rule.

Reactions: dabrain13

Tevosn

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2020

This. On iPhone/iPad I just use Safari and some adblockers. Works pretty good. I use mainly ublock and Adblock+.
For some reason I’m limited to 720p on iPhone but that is good enough for me.

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Do we actually know how much better the bitrate is on the 1080p premium? Since the bitrate on YouTube is awful compared to twitch (H264 vs H264. Same res and fps) so yeah. Need to know if it's still inferior than Twitch or even Facebook Gaming for that matter (which allows up to about 10Mbps of bitrate actually as far as I can remember)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.