Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
I’m not willing to pay for ad free YouTube, and with so many adds I’m really turned off by the service. Google just isn’t something I rely on.
Same. This is a Siri household with no Google items at all. Even got rid of my Nest recently in favor of an ecobee and the quality difference is astounding…

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn and JM

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
You want all the content for free, hd, without ads, without your data being used and without subscribing to their premium offering? How on earth do you expect a service like this to keep afloat then?
How about the same way they expect us to stay afloat while consistently and constantly gouging us? Hmm??

In other words, the entire industry is rotten and needs to be reconfigured entirely.

Data has just been such a ******** way to turn a profit… where the hell is the human value? It all just seems to profit a couple of humans, and suck up all of our wealth…

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Google are such liars. PIP was working just fine until they nerfed it for everyone except Premium users.

It’s amazing anyone owns Android.

• Disagree
Reactions: mnsportsgeek

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Just now?! It’s been working for me for almost 8 weeks. I haven’t signed up for anything to make it work.
For some reason, I can't get it to work. I have PIP enabled on my iPhone 13 Pro. I'm not a YouTube premium user.

I'll believe it when I see it. This has been over-promised and under-delivered for ages.
Yup! Seems like it! Wasn't this promised like less than a year ago and then it turned out it wasn't for regular YouTube videos but was for ... I can't even remember what it was for.

This time around, am I reading correctly that PIP is available to all YouTube users in the US?

Works very well on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Not so well with my iPad Mini 6, no video, but I can hear the audio.

edit: PiP was not enabled by default on the iPad app. It works now.
How did you get this to work? I'm on an iPhone 13 Pro; PIP is enabled. I'm a regular YouTube user; not premium; and in the US.

Gave it a try — no matter the video, it doesn't work and when I switch back to the app I get a "Music content can no be played in picture-in-picure." 🙄
All I get when I swipe up to get to the Home screen from YouTube app is the app just disappears (like any app normally would) and there's no PIP video content.

”Picture-in-picture is available to U.S. non-subscribers for non-music videos, and it will not be available for music unless you have a premium subscription.”

Good luck
I'll need it! Can't figure out how to get this to work.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
You want all the content for free, hd, without ads, without your data being used and without subscribing to their premium offering? How on earth do you expect a service like this to keep afloat then?
Oh, I’m sure little ol’ independent app developer Googlé will find a way to survive in this cold, hard world.

Poor little Googlé. Nobody ever looks out for you, do they?

• Disagree
Reactions: mnsportsgeek

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
For some reason, I can't get it to work. I have PIP enabled on my iPhone 13 Pro. I'm not a YouTube premium user.

Yup! Seems like it! Wasn't this promised like less than a year ago and then it turned out it wasn't for regular YouTube videos but was for ... I can't even remember what it was for.

This time around, am I reading correctly that PIP is available to all YouTube users in the US?

How did you get this to work? I'm on an iPhone 13 Pro; PIP is enabled. I'm a regular YouTube user; not premium; and in the US.

All I get when I swipe up to get to the Home screen from YouTube app is the app just disappears (like any app normally would) and there's no PIP video content.

I'll need it! Can't figure out how to get this to work.
Only a guess...you may have to enable PIP in Youtube. PIP in youtube might not be fully rolled out yet and there may not be an option to enable it yet.

Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Only a guess...you may have to enable PIP in Youtube. PIP in youtube might not be fully rolled out yet and there may not be an option to enable it yet.
Yeah, I don't see the PIP option in the YouTube app, in spite of YouTube's own directions say to enable it.

And to confirm: the native PIP option in the iPhone settings is already enabled.

Reactions: I7guy

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Oh, I’m sure little ol’ independent app developer Googlé will find a way to survive in this cold, hard world.

Poor little Googlé. Nobody ever looks out for you, do they?
You didn’t answer the question. Google isn’t a charity. How would you make YouTube profitable without any of the things OP mentioned? Or do you just want YouTube to be a free utopia with candy canes, unicorns and mountains of money for all the creators who make a living on the platform?

• Disagree
Reactions: Tech for Kings

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
US only for non premium. Ffs
I'll try this with the US selected on my VPN.

Finally! Not sure why it took so long. Now, I can enjoy listening to music freely without closing down the app.
Tried it from Japan with my VPN connected to the US. Swiping (as instructed in the OP) did not change the in-YouTube-app video (not music) to PiP but I got a message saying "Music cannot be played in PiP."

"To use picture-in-picture in the YouTube app, just select a video to watch and then exit out of YouTube by swiping upwards from the bottom of the screen."

How do you exit the YouTube app by swiping upwards from the bottom of the screen on the iPhone? I just bring up Control Centre, both when viewing the YouTube video in the app in portrait and landscape. Baffled.

Does not work. No PiP option unless you are a Premium User.

Ninjasrule

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
I am a premium youtube member and can't get PiP to work. anyone else in the same boat? what a botched rollout.

Halver_Rook

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
For those of us that have been paying for YouTube Premium since it was YouTube Red, now that this feature isn’t exclusive, is the monthly subscription price going to become cheaper? Dumb question.

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
They seem to have managed to at least remove that annoying error message server side now, but still no PiP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.