Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
I'm in the US with US premium account. But YouTube app flags every video as music content. Pip doesn't work for me.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
People like you giving their data away to an ad company for free. That's how. Thanks!
Well said. User data about their viewing practices, history, clicks, and so forth, are valuable to an ad company like Google.

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
Yes, I finally got an option to turn it on in the app, and now it works as advertised.

Edit: This is obviously something they have made visible in the app by doing something server side, since I'm still on the same app version as I was for my previous posts.

Attachments

• 8471ADF0-7C7E-4A8F-B8A7-C11C3AF06EEB.png
    8471ADF0-7C7E-4A8F-B8A7-C11C3AF06EEB.png
    265.1 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: randallking

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Just buy the Vinegar extension and you’ll have PiP and ad free YouTube across all of your Apple devices. Best $2 I spent on the App Store.
Would this only work in the Safari browser and not the YouTube app?

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
PiP now works on my end, I'm not sure why it's still not working for some. Google has delayed this feature for so long and they can't even implement it properly.

Agreed that Google looks to have continually botched the implementation of this "feature". I've wondered if it's more of a removal of restriction than creating the feature.

I keep looking for the option in settings on my iPhone, but it hasn't made it to my account yet. 😩

Same here. The "feature" is still not enabled in my YouTube app.

Reactions: Ninjasrule

Ninjasrule

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Agreed that Google looks to have continually botched the implementation of this "feature". I've wondered if it's more of a removal of restriction than creating the feature.

Same here. The "feature" is still not enabled in my YouTube app.
they have done a **** job with rolling out stuff. stadia was a complete disaster when it launched. they don't do a good job with organization and execution. this Pip should've been available for years. it was available before but they got rid of it on the app. it only took like 7 years to have the same functionality we used to have on previous models.

Reactions: moldy lunchbox

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
This is now new to my account. A few days ago, I tried this and it did not work. Now, if I watch a video in incognito mode, PIP works, but as soon as I turn off incognito mode, PIP stops working.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I have the option after downloading the latest iOS YouTube update.

But even with this and the iOS setting both on, it doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.