Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walterg74

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
That's called human interaction. Something that is rapidly being lost.

Nah, no humans at BB to interact with... :D

It's the physical media.. same reason I like to have my games on the disc, box, art, manuals, etc. instead of just downloading them... Seems like you're getting "air" when you do that...

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I don't get it. It's still cheaper to download the torrent version. :confused:

And it'd be cheaper for me to steal your car than to buy one from a dealership. Your point?

How can they charge (or rather why would people pay) $3.99 (or $2.99 if you want) for a movie rental, when for example Netflix (or HULU) offer you unlimited streaming for just 8 bucks? Does that make any sense at all??

I have Netflix for $8 a month and while I think it is great, the selection of movies is pretty laughable. So, at least for now, they can get away with it because there is no other choice (legally, that is, see my other comment above).

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
So Apple's and Netflix's rentals all work fine but Google's too dumb to figure it out?

What makes you think that?

Because YouTube has had years to "figure it out" and they haven't?

And Google is famously bad at user interface (YouTube being only one of many many examples)?

IF they go to a download-with-DRM apprach similar to iTunes, I can see Google doing well here. In that case, attaching "YouTube" as a name to this is just marketing. Similarly, if they build a walled-off infrastructure for high-QoS, high-bandwidth streaming a la Netflix, I can also see them doing well here and YouTube again is only attached as marketing-speak. But, given Google's many many failures in recent years, and taking them at their word that this is a YouTube extension, not a whole new offering, it is absolutely bound to be a horrid experience.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Nah, no humans at BB to interact with... :D

It's the physical media.. same reason I like to have my games on the disc, box, art, manuals, etc. instead of just downloading them... Seems like you're getting "air" when you do that...

Well then that's a shame. You must have had your BB in a female deprived area ;)

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
Hideous layout? What's the problem with it?

Crappy video? That's on the person uploading it, not the service.

And censorship? You mean preventing people from illegally posting copyrighted materials?

1. The layout is crap compared to how it use to be (chalk that one up to Google)

2. agreed

3. depending on the use many fall under fair use (which of those have the music in the background or a video clip for discussion) , but a lot do not because they are just posting copyrighted material.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Ah. So we're assuming the free service and the thing you pay for will be the exact same system.

Ok.

I disagree, but I can see where you're coming from.

Well, it is kinda what Google said. They said that this is YouTube. They said it is an expansion of the free movie offerings. If it's completely new, that's great, but you'd think Google would have said that this is a new infrastructure accessible via YouTube if that were the case.

In any case, either way is definitely possible. I just don't see any justification for the assumption that Google has built a new infrastructure to support this until/unless they say so.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
So, one thing I don't get, maybe because I don't live in the us?

How can they charge (or rather why would people pay) $3.99 (or $2.99 if you want) for a movie rental, when for example Netflix (or HULU) offer you unlimited streaming for just 8 bucks? Does that make any sense at all??

Also, like other users have pointed out, we're pretty fed up with all these thing always being "us only"... Studios and companies bitch about piracy, and illegal stuff in south america (and europe) yet they never offer us the legit option of distributing they're stuff and us paying for it properly. In this age of digital distribution, there is no excuse for that not happening... :mad:

Yes, its because you don't live in the US. It's called options. Suppose I want an ocasional movie, why would I sign up for a subscription?

Your fed up with these things being US only? I'm feed up with your country not inovating and giving US citizens other options. It's funny, they cry when the US exerts their strength, and then cry when we stay at home and invent something for the US. What the %*#? is the matter with your own peps inventing their own stuff?

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
They're in the same position Microsoft was 10 years ago, but better: They have everyone locked into iTunes, the app store, not using blu ray, their entire business model is predicated on locking you in and only allowing what they see fit.

Of course, someone could just buy a different computer, MP3 player, smart phone, and run Linux or Windows, right?

Huh. On iOS, I can sorta see your point. But there's nothing stopping me from using any other service on my Mac. I'm only "locked into" iTunes insofar as that's where I prefer to get my content because it is more convenient and has predictable quality. Could I watch BluRay? Not on my Mac, but why would I want/need to do that when I can get a better stand-alone BluRay player for a little north of $100?

If you want to run video on your iPhone or iPad, and it's DRM-ed video ... yeah, iTunes is the only game in town. But Apple is far from having a monopoly position on video delivery, be that on mobile devices or in the home. They just do it well.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have you ever used YouTube? The amount of buffering that goes on for even the shortest of videos is crazy

Super size me started playing in under 2 seconds on my iPad just now and I am on a pretty bad hotel Internet. At home, 720p videos almost always start within 5 seconds..
They don't buffer at all for DRM reasons.

Nope, PC type platforms only.

YouTube doesn't have any DRMed player built that doesn't use Flash for a start, which is why no long form studio content is available on any non-Flash platform.

Phazer

I can watch Super Size me on my iPad (free), but pay movies all just say sign in required when I click on them. I am signed in...

Google can be good at interfaces, but YouTube is terrible..

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Interesting observation.

I've been reading about youtube expanding it's rental all over this morning, decide to come here after seeing a Skype and Steve Ballmer picture. I think, let me go to Macrumors, see what they think of that news. Then I read the headline to this story, and it's like, if you only get your computer from macrumors, you would think that the whole world revolves around Apple. I mean, Apple was not mentioned in any of the other article. It's just a simple youtube expands it's rental, but here everything gets related to Apple. If you only come to macrumors you would think the whole world revolves around Apple.

Actually no, your observation isn't interesting in the least. A mac rumors site focuses on Apple products, views other announcements in terms of how they relate to Apple, and generally thinks the world revolves around Apple? Wow, I'm sure everyone is shocked to hear this news. Also, your sig is rather childish. Nobody cares.

dalexa

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
If you're such a quality snob you should be insisting on 4K theaters as your only method of entertainment. * I love people who talk about insisting on the best and yet pick something right in the middle to proclaim as their version of 'perfect.'

So enjoy spending $100 on 5 movies for the month.

I'll be renting the $4 720p versions, realizing they look fine, and then going out and enjoying my extra $80 each month.

calling someone a quality snob and then failing in the rest of the post is awesome. you sir are awesome.

since you clearly know the difference between owning a film and renting a film from what i can read from the rest of the your post i'll point in another direction.
what if, imagine just imagine this, what if your internet connection is down or you're even somewhere where you have no internet connection (oh the blasphemy) and you want to see that film?

streaming through the web? are you even trying to compare that with owning a br disc? you can't compare it in image quality or content.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
streaming through the web? are you even trying to compare that with owning a br disc? you can't compare it in image quality or content.

Apparently if google does it it will be 2x better than blu ray.

/sarcasm

Had to, I just can't help but notice on most every site they seem to be the most loved company in the world. Not near the hate MS and Apple gets for sure. At least amongst the net nerds.

On topic: I agree with others talking about google's UI design, it could be so much better. It kind of looks like they just threw it together as fast as possible. Some things are better than others. Honeycomb looks polished, don't care for the tron look though.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
If you're such a quality snob you should be...

so you're saying a movie is purely visual? Never heard of all the great surround sound modes/features?

This topic could go on for months...the point is that owning a physical disc is so much better than trying to stream something (at this point in time)...as I said, maybe in 2020 the world will be different.

I enjoy being able to play my BR movies whenever I want, IMMEDIATELY, pause/rewind instantly, watch it in it's BEST POSSIBLE format (as of today) on BR with a great surround sound system.

I am not a movie junkie who buys every movie the day they are released at full list price...every BR I own has costed between $12.99 and $19.99 on Amazon...and I would say the average price for me is $15.99.

Again, this topic has been discussed before (even by me on other threads) so no use in yapping it all again.

If you want to watch your 720 mid-grade HD movies with buffering/stuttering and the not-so-instant features the service provides, that's fine. Enjoy. But a great deal of us (especially those who like quality) prefer the tried-and-true method that is simply stunning. Let's see what 2020 brings.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2010
USA
whats with people beotching about it being US only??

make your own technology?? people always say how much they hate US and when they get involved with stuff, and now they whine when we dont share our inventions

streetkid

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
Yes, its because you don't live in the US. It's called options. Suppose I want an ocasional movie, why would I sign up for a subscription?

Your fed up with these things being US only? I'm feed up with your country not inovating and giving US citizens other options. It's funny, they cry when the US exerts their strength, and then cry when we stay at home and invent something for the US. What the %*#? is the matter with your own peps inventing their own stuff?

I love Macrumors and rarely have I had cause to reply to a thread like this.

The Brits are one of the forefront inventing nations in the world. Want 2 great inventions - how about the internet - world wide web. Tim Berners-Lee

Or how about Jonathan Ive, CBE.

We live in a global village. We contribute to each other. Why such a introverted manner?

Imagine if both the above mentioned kept to themselves to the UK?

The US is able to provide an initial bigger market, and yes will naturally be a launch market. This doesn't mean other nations should be excluded.

Last edited:

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
They're in the same position Microsoft was 10 years ago, but better: They have everyone locked into iTunes, the app store, not using blu ray, their entire business model is predicated on locking you in and only allowing what they see fit.

Of course, someone could just buy a different computer, MP3 player, smart phone, and run Linux or Windows, right?

Just like what Microsoft said when they were accused of being a monopoly back then. Now Apple is the monopoly and Microsoft is the underdog.

No people are not locked into iTunes app store etc, There is equal competition, other platforms, other devices. Apple has no Monopoly. Apple also allow competitors to compete on it devices, like netflix.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
I like the idea of competition, but when I think "youtube" i think "user generated" videos of nonsense funny videos. I understand that YouTube is a knowm brand name but I would of preferred if a new site for only official movies to be shown. I say keep the two separate.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Actually no, your observation isn't interesting in the least. A mac rumors site focuses on Apple products, views other announcements in terms of how they relate to Apple, and generally thinks the world revolves around Apple? Wow, I'm sure everyone is shocked to hear this news. Also, your sig is rather childish. Nobody cares.

I don't think you really understood my comment, about how things can be misinterpreted differently depending on how it's written. Forget about Apple, just in general. There are constant comments on macrumors about how others copy Apple, and I can see how people who only get their news from here would think that. Stop taking it so personal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.