Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Honest question: what’s your complaint? Worst case scenario everyone still gets to see their favorite show just in slightly lower quality. Best case scenario it preserves valuable bandwidth on a vital piece of infrastructure. Is the worst case really so bad?

I'm not complaining. I'm questioning.

Let's see the real numbers on available capacity/usage. I don't trust what a politician has to say about it, or a company with a literal gun to its head to take certain actions which may not actually be required, but are done out of virtue signaling social compliance.

Reactions: etios

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I was clearly referring to empirical and verifiable proof of Internet issues for them to take these actions. JFC.

What's happening around the world with Covid-19 is terrible.
[automerge]1584709651[/automerge]

Exactly.
Not so clear when you throw made-up politically charged terms like “virtue signaling” into the mix. Why in God’s name is it necessary to immorality signal? JFC indeed.

• Disagree
Reactions: jonblatho

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Not so clear when you throw made-up politically charged terms like “virtue signaling” into the mix. Why in God’s name is it necessary to immorality signal? JFC indeed.

Virtue signaling is a real term and until the companies themselves show the real data on lack of available capacity for why this is being done, that's what I'm going to make the reasonable conclusion about.

Where does all this trust for Corporations and Politicians suddenly come from? Haven't they all lied to us enough about things?

I'm asking for proof. People used to do that.
[automerge]1584711131[/automerge]
ISPs know how their networks are performing.

Then they should have no problem sharing the actual data on it.

Let's see the real numbers and not blindly trust what some politician says.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Dude used the made-up term “virtue signaling”, which is used by those pushing a certain political agenda. I took his post to be akin to those claiming the Coronavirus is a hoax. Others have interpreted it similarly. I can’t be more specific since this is not a PRSI thread.

This is one of the problems when people use made-up code words—they mean different things to different people. Maybe OP will clarify what his immorality signaling was supposed to mean.

Virtue signaling is a real term. People on both ends of the political spectrum do it.

I want to see actual proof that these actions are necessary and not being done out of political or social pressure to virtue signal. Once one company does virtue signaling, other companies feel compelled to out of shame.

You took my post that way because you chose to. It certainly wasn't due to lack of context for my reply.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Go to Italy, you will easily find your empirical and verifiable proof.

Stop spreading misinformation, your immorality signaling will kill people.

View attachment 900078

A bunch of old people dying.. that's real breaking news. That's daily.

• Disagree
Reactions: decafjava

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Virtue signaling is a real term and until the companies themselves show the real data on lack of available capacity for why this is being done, that's what I'm going to make the reasonable conclusion about.

Where does all this trust for Corporations and Politicians suddenly come from? Haven't they all lied to us enough about things?

I'm asking for proof. People used to do that.
[automerge]1584711131[/automerge]

Then they should have no problem sharing the actual data on it.

Let's see the real numbers and not blindly trust what some politician says.
You’re not entitled to any data. If Netflix or YouTube or anyone else doesn’t think there’s a problem, they can say so. Working from home, telemedicine and distance learning is a higher priority than binge watching. Deal with it.

Reducing the bit rate makes sense, no matter how much it angers you. If ISPs need to block all streaming shows during work hours, they’ll do it. Hopefully it won’t come to that.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
Great. Can't go out, can't meet with friends, TV is basically showing Corona 24/7, and now the internet streaming is **** as well. :mad:
Are you serious? People are dying. This is 10x more deadly than the flu. The economy lost 1/3 of its value. Are you that entitled and narcissistic that you can’t sacrifice your TV entertainment during the worst crisis the world has faced since WWII?

How about reading a book? Unbelievable.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Virtue signaling is a real term. People on both ends of the political spectrum do it.

I want to see actual proof that these actions are necessary and not being done out of political or social pressure to virtue signal. Once one company does virtue signaling, other companies feel compelled to out of shame.

You took my post that way because you chose to. It certainly wasn't due to lack of context for my reply.
The only context in your reply is a made up political term used by those who are trying to push a certain political agenda. Those who use the term “virtue signaling” here in the US think the Coronavirus is a hoax. That’s the way I interpreted your post. I’d be more specific but this isn’t a PRSI thread.

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
You’re not entitled to any data. If Netflix or YouTube or anyone else doesn’t think there’s a problem, they can say so.

You think any of these companies would cross a politician and release data to show there's not actually an issue here? This becomes even less likely to happen once they begun to virtue signal and fall in line with each other.

I guess lack of proof is good enough for you.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
The only context in your reply is a made up political term used by those who are trying to push a certain political agenda. Those who use the term “virtue signaling” here in the US think the Coronavirus is a hoax. That’s the way I interpreted your post. I’d be more specific but this isn’t a PRSI thread.

Virtue signaling is not a made up political term and it's not limited to a certain political agenda.

I do not believe that the Coronavirus is a hoax. It's very real and dangerous.

Your assumptions about this are unfounded.

Reactions: etios and jonblatho

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
Do you mean the kind of people who want empirical and verifiable proof there’s actually a problem and not just virtue signaling? That sort of people?
So... wait for the damage to be done and react too late rather than proactively work to prevent problems when the only thing at stake is nonessential entertainment.

Meanwhile, by most indicators, the economy is sliding past recession and approaching depression figures.

It’s this kind of attitude that’s left the USA to test 30/day rather than the 1,000/day in Italy or 4,000/day in SKorea and put us way behind the curve with protective measures. Or maybe if we “like the numbers where they are” we can just keep ignoring reality. Makes sense.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
You think any of these companies would cross a politician and release data to show there's not actually an issue here? This becomes even less likely to happen once they begun to virtue signal and fall in line with each other.

I guess lack of proof is good enough for you.
Yes I’m fine with it. But I don’t have an ideology where billion-dollar companies kowtow to politicians. In my experience, big companies do whatever the hell they want.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
So... wait for the damage to be done and react too late rather than proactively work to prevent problems when the only thing at stake is nonessential entertainment.

Meanwhile, by most indicators, the economy is sliding past recession and approaching depression figures.

It’s this kind of attitude that’s left the USA to test 30/day rather than the 1,000/day in Italy or 4,000/day in SKorea and put us way behind the curve with protective measures. Or maybe if we “like the numbers where they are” we can just keep ignoring reality. Makes sense.

What's the damage here? Where's the proof of it? No I won't take the word of a politician or of a company without empirical verifiable data.

Reactions: etios

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Yes I’m fine with it. But I don’t have an ideology where billion-dollar companies kowtow to politicians. In my experience, big companies do whatever the hell they want.

Well at least we're clear on that now. I'm asking for proof and you're fine with the lack of it.

No, big companies do not do whatever the hell they want. They often do what the government tells them to do or what social pressure tells them to do. I want to see proof to determine if that's what's happening here. Seems you don't.... and that's the essence of virtue signaling.

Reactions: etios and jonblatho

M.PaulCezanne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2014
What's the damage here? Where's the proof of it? No I won't take the word of a politician.
We know the networks can’t handle the strain. We know this. What’s wrong with taking action early enough when that action sacrifices nonessential services?

I’m stuck with Comcast. I pay for a “fast” tier but I’m getting garbage now. I’m in a very major metro area. This shouldn’t be happening.

We must work from home. The economy can’t grind to a halt. This sacrifice will seem obvious soon as more serious ones are likely to come (yes - that will happen, as you’ve seen in CA).

Planning ahead is necessary now more than ever.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Virtue signaling is not a made up political term and it's not limited to a certain political agenda.

I didn’t say you thought the Coronavirus is a hoax. Using non-specific terms like virtue signaling isn’t helpful.

Instead of making generalized statements with politically charged terms meant to push your agenda, say what you mean. Why do you think streaming services are agreeing to limit data? “Virtue signaling” doesn’t mean anything to me, or at least I don’t think it means the same thing to me as it does to you.

Work is more virtuous than play, so you think Google and Netflix are pushing a corporate agenda to turn us into good little worker drones who deserve no entertainment? That’s really weird.
[automerge]1584713911[/automerge]
Well at least we're clear on that now. I'm asking for proof and you're fine with the lack of it.

No, big companies do not do whatever the hell they want. They often do what the government tells them to do or what social pressure tells them to do. I want to see proof to determine if that's what's happening here. Seems you don't.... and that's the essence of virtue signaling.
I have no idea what you’re talking about. Your wanting proof is the essence of virtue signaling? That’s really weird. I don’t think that means what you think it means. At least, that’s not how that term is used here in the US ?‍♂️

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

”virtue signaling” is a pejorative neologism, ie a made up word.

This reduction in resolution seems draconian, I don’t know why they didn’t try Peak/off-peak.

Last edited:

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
We know the networks can’t handle the strain. We know this. What’s wrong with taking action early enough when that action sacrifices nonessential services?

I’m stuck with Comcast. I pay for a “fast” tier but I’m getting garbage now. I’m in a very major metro area. This shouldn’t be happening.

We must work from home. The economy can’t grind to a halt. This sacrifice will seem obvious soon as more serious ones are likely to come (yes - that will happen, as you’ve seen in CA).

Planning ahead is necessary now more than ever.

Who's saying this? Where's the widespread proof of network congestion?

And if the networks can't handle the strain, whose fault is that? Do we pay enough for usable capacity? The blame, IMHO, falls at the feet of the companies themselves who increase our bills every year and which have clearly failed to increase their network capacity sufficiently.

Damn right it shouldn't be happening. Where's the money we pay going? The Holiday Party? Corporate Team Trust events? The marble in the lobby? The vegetation on the periphery of the Company HQ? Sure as hell isn't going into the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.