Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Last edited by a moderator:

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Is streaming that important to people? Isn’t there other things people can think of doing...

LITERALLY nope! Besides doing a puzzle which I almost finished for the 2nd time now

—-

ISPs in Germany have been saying repeatedly over the last few days, that there is no shortage whatsoever. In fact they event went as far as saying even at peak times the median is only 10% higher than usual. providers are even giving away free unlimited data!!

This whole „will the internet break down?“ craziness all started with some clickbait headlines about a week ago cuz crappy o2 and Swisscom, which both suck anyway, have had some issues

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Great. Can't go out, can't meet with friends, TV is basically showing Corona 24/7, and now the internet streaming is **** as well. :mad:
Was sort of humorous yesterday. Turned on the TV, and for some reason the channel was reset to the Service Electric 2. Said it was High School Basketball but was just a black screen. Does this happen on all sports channels, or do they run past games?
[automerge]1584734087[/automerge]
”virtue signaling” is a pejorative neologism, ie a made up word.

This reduction in resolution seems draconian, I don’t know why they didn’t try Peak/off-peak.
Or why can't they modify the adaptive bit rate to be more aggressive and make it lower than it normally would.

Last edited:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I've made it very clear what the definition of virtue signaling is. There's nothing generalized about it.

If mission essential teleconferencing, telemedicine and distance learning needs to happen, it should be done over a separate dedicated network channel to ensure sufficient capacity that isn't constricted by the general public internet. Why people would choose to have these critical activities over the general internet instead is truly the sign of money being spent on things that don't matter... like the marble lobby.
“The” definition of virtue signaling has nothing to do with your definition of virtue signaling. Yours includes a very weird “absence of proof” component.

The actual definition of virtue signaling has nothing to do with any “proof” whatsoever. It’s a public act at little cost designed to let others know your socially acceptable traits. Filling out your dating profile with your favorite activities as hiking, reading and going to the gym is virtue signaling.

What’s ironic is your rants here are nothing more than virtue signaling. We get it. You’re fighting against the evil corporation slowing our internet because it’s easier than building out the needed capacity. They’ve chosen to build their marble lobby instead of building out more fiber connections to the internet exchange.

But it’s great we’ve got concerned MR posters standing up for the average Joe. Hooray for the social justice warriors who keep the evil capitalist companies in check ?

Reactions: I7guy

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Thank you for your anecdote! I surely hope it was hard numbers with proper analysis and not anectodes like yours that bent Netlfix and YouTube on this.

BTW I'm in the eastern EU and internet speed/latency in my house is as great as ever. Thanks for asking!

Vodafone Italy reported an increase in traffic by 50% and they expect it to increase even more.
Netflix has agreements with carriers, more people streaming content, more money to pay to carriers. People are now binge watching stuff, especially students as schools are closed. More paying customers, but way more hours per day for the average user.
I don’t think Netflix bent to the EU, they were too quick to respond. They’re saving money so it is good for them, and good for carriers too since a slow network makes a customer unhappy. Everybody wins, except people who paid for high quality streaming

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Last edited by a moderator:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I am fine with this kind of action as long as the service lowers your bill or offers a refund. For example, I specifically chose the 4K streaming option for Netflix. It this happens in the US, I sure hope either my bill will essentially be the "lower tier", or I get a refund.

Lower the quality, its fine with me. But if I am not getting what I paid for, I should not pay for it right?

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2017
Good move, no doubt some will cry about it but we know what sort of people they are.

The kind of people who are complying with government requests to socially isolate and would like something nice to do at home while we do it? Yeah, total scum we are...

ubersoldat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
I wonder why they do this? There is no bandwidth problem. DE-CIX reports an increase of 10% in traffic for last week and they keep 37% capacity unused for peaks like that. They add capacity once 63% is used which isn‘t even the case yet. German‘s largest provider Deutsche Telekom said they have enough capacity as well. Vodafone (second largest cell operator) reported the average data consumption is only 17% higher than on average days and decreasing.

Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This doesn’t make sense. If people work from home on their computers, it is no different than working from their office. Should be the same amount of bandwidth that is used because there is no one using the internet in the offices... may be I’m wrong

Not all of us use the same ISP for work.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
The "internet" and associated services provided on it, really doesn't work as simply as many people on here seem to be suggesting. These big content providers aren't just putting these measures in place for the hell of it or because they've been told-to. It will be because their expensive monitoring platforms have flagged-up a problem, or the stats show its going to become a problem.

It really doesn't matter if your ISP has loads of headroom to cope with the expected increase in demand from this pandemic if Netflix or Youtube can't handle the increase at their end(s). With these things, you're just moving the bottleneck/pinch-point from one place to another and constantly chasing the next thing you can upgrade (at a time and cost impact). You do the upgrades and then something else becomes the pinch point.

The providers are just doing the common sense thing that needs done in uncertain times.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
You’re not entitled to any data. If Netflix or YouTube or anyone else doesn’t think there’s a problem, they can say so. Working from home, telemedicine and distance learning is a higher priority than binge watching. Deal with it.

Reducing the bit rate makes sense, no matter how much it angers you. If ISPs need to block all streaming shows during work hours, they’ll do it. Hopefully it won’t come to that.

It is not Netflix or YouTube who has said it is a problem. It is EU. Every ISP I have seen interviewed has said they do not have capacity problem.

Here in Norway we got a peak because a new version/update of Call of Duty became available.
I have seen no ISP in Europe saying they have problems.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Why should anyone care what *you* would take. You're not involved in this in the slightest.. no one has to prove anything to you.
[automerge]1584724826[/automerge]

I'll see your single data point and raise you the data used by the entire city of Madrid:

But what is the capacity? It doesn't matter if the traffic during daytime doubled if the capacity is four times as much.

Here in Norway daytime usage just increased to the same as evening use.
The biggest peak in Norway was when an update to Call of Duty was released.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
“The” definition of virtue signaling has nothing to do with your definition of virtue signaling. Yours includes a very weird “absence of proof” component.

The actual definition of virtue signaling has nothing to do with any “proof” whatsoever. It’s a public act at little cost designed to let others know your socially acceptable traits. Filling out your dating profile with your favorite activities as hiking, reading and going to the gym is virtue signaling.

What’s ironic is your rants here are nothing more than virtue signaling. We get it. You’re fighting against the evil corporation slowing our internet because it’s easier than building out the needed capacity. They’ve chosen to build their marble lobby instead of building out more fiber connections to the internet exchange.

But it’s great we’ve got concerned MR posters standing up for the average Joe. Hooray for the social justice warriors who keep the evil capitalist companies in check ?

Virtue signaling is done in the absence of proof that it's actually doing anything. That's the whole point.

Your example of a dating profile isn't completely applicable here. If people are being sincere on a dating profile, and they genuinely enjoy those activities and look for them in a partner, that's not virtue signaling. If they're putting them down but don't actually enjoy them, then that's virtue signaling and they're being a phony.

Rants? Oh come on now. All the vanity projects companies do come at the expense of the product they're trying to sell. The marble lobby does nothing to improve the actual product and the essential basis for which it's actually sold. It's entirely worthless, but it has perceived value by the self-absorbed bubble of executives that didn't build the actual product they needed to. They see more value in a marble lobby than in a robust network. That's a shame.

I've never thought of myself as an SJW. I don't believe in pitchfork politics either. What I do believe is calling these phonies out for their failures and misplaced priorities. Was anyone at the company willing to say the marble lobby was a bad use of money when it could have gone into the network? If not, why not?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Virtue signaling is done in the absence of proof that it's actually doing anything. That's the whole point.

Your example of a dating profile isn't completely applicable here. If people are being sincere on a dating profile, and they genuinely enjoy those activities and look for them in a partner, that's not virtue signaling. If they're putting them down but don't actually enjoy them, then that's virtue signaling and they're being a phony.

Rants? Oh come on now. All the vanity projects companies do come at the expense of the product they're trying to sell. The marble lobby does nothing to improve the actual product and the essential basis for which it's actually sold. It's entirely worthless, but it has perceived value by the self-absorbed bubble of executives that didn't build the actual product they needed to. They see more value in a marble lobby than in a robust network. That's a shame.

I've never thought of myself as an SJW. I don't believe in pitchfork politics either. What I do believe is calling these phonies out for their failures and misplaced priorities. Was anyone at the company willing to say the marble lobby was a bad use of money when it could have gone into the network? If not, why not?
Do you really think spending a few (or few hundred) grand on a marble lobby has anything to do with the billions of dollars companies would need to spend to improve broadband internet? I think you’re missing the forest for the trees but you seem to be hung up on it so carry on ?‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.