Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LawJolla

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2013
For certain situations, YouTube TV is vastly superior to Xfinity. My single YouTube TV subscription is split between three households — mom, sister + brother-in-law and me. We all have our own profiles with our own recorded content. We can watch on all our devices, anytime, anywhere, and have never run into any issues unless we run afoul of the maximum of three simultaneous streams. And, with three households contributing to the overall cost, it's significantly cheaper than Comcast. Plus, the unlimited DVR is amazing
You're dead on. Cable still gets nutty with many TVs, but if you only have 1 or 2 TVs, cable's internet + TV may be a better deal. Amazing.

And the vast majority of content is STILL 720p or 1080i, 15 years after 1080p became mainstream.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElioLugaru

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
For certain situations, YouTube TV is vastly superior to Xfinity. My single YouTube TV subscription is split between three households — mom, sister + brother-in-law and me. We all have our own profiles with our own recorded content. We can watch on all our devices, anytime, anywhere, and have never run into any issues unless we run afoul of the maximum of three simultaneous streams. And, with three households contributing to the overall cost, it's significantly cheaper than Comcast. Plus, the unlimited DVR is amazing
  • Can I share my membership?​

Yes, your YouTube TV membership comes with 6 accounts to share with roommates or family members in your household. (Ages 13 and up.) Everyone gets their own login, personalized content recommendations, and individual DVR library. Up to 3 simultaneous streams are allowed per membership.

I always thought 5/6 streams were available.....

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
  • Can I share my membership?​

Yes, your YouTube TV membership comes with 6 accounts to share with roommates or family members in your household. (Ages 13 and up.) Everyone gets their own login, personalized content recommendations, and individual DVR library. Up to 3 simultaneous streams are allowed per membership.

I always thought 5/6 streams were available.....
I think you're confusing accounts and streams. There were always 5 or 6 account slots but only 3 simultaneous streams.

tritian

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2008
Hard pass.

Page says it covers "NBC Sports, FOX, Nat Geo, FX, ESPN and more" The and More being defined as 2 channels. Discovery and Tastemade.

Not enough content to justify this increase

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
If you do Netflix and or Prime that's all the 4K you need, additionally anyone who has a OLED Tv,
won't miss 4K on Youtube TV because that TV makes everything look better anyway.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Ain’t much more $ than Hulu, and you can watch it anywhere. Do they have real PIP yet though?

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
That's not correct, 5.1 will come to all of us, it's $19.99 for 4k and unlimited streams.
And off network recordings - that alone is worth it to me when on Airplanes and traveling. DirecTV had the feature but would only work 1/2 the time. I have been able to connect to Youtube TV while abroad using VPN.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
4K Plus is priced at an additional $19.99 per month on top of the standard YouTube TV streaming price, which starts at $65. That means subscribers can expect to pay $85 per month to watch YouTube TV in 4K, though Google is offering a promotion.

New users can get a one-month free trial and then will pay $9.99 per month for a year, after which the price will increase to $19.99 per month.
That is indeed approaching that you pay for with cable. I'd just subscribe to a bunch of major 4K streaming services.

tharitm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
That's not correct, 5.1 will come to all of us, it's $19.99 for 4k and unlimited streams.
Plus downloading recordings for offline viewing, right?

Does $19.99 also get rid of that annoying restriction of everyone need to be in the same household thing? (I know there are workarounds + it resets 90 days)

thawk9455

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
Have they added integration with the Apple TV app yet? Until they support the basic features of the Apple TV I'm not going to consider them as an option.

We just set my parents up to try FuboTV yesterday. Would go with YouTube TV except as far as I know it still doesn't integrate with the Apple TV app or properly support SSO on Apple devices.

If they can get over the change, FuboTV (or any of the streaming services) will be a huge price cut over the massive amount of money they spend on DirecTV right now (cable isn't an option at their home, it took years of effort just to get them a DSL connection).

PPopMatt

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2015
California
I cut the "cord" 2 years ago, went to ATT-TV, then Hulu-Tv, saving $1000/year
Then I Cut all the TV Provider BS about 7 months ago. (saves $500/year)

My conclusion now is I HATE TV!!
The Apps SUCK! Always crashing, and never working right - ever!!

My favorite Channel on the AppleTV is Turning it off!!
After That I do like is Disney+ (but Ive watched all the Marvel and Star Wars content!!
I liked DragonBall but got thru that too...

The Main Reasons I completely hate TV now!!:
• #1 - Doesnt Work right!!
• Cannot fast forward thru Effin Commercials!
• Cannot Channel Surf - as is a Royal PAIN IN THE ASS to change what your watching within 1 AppleTV App, much less between Aps! - Takes 5+ steps... I just lower the volume (Mute)!
• Tee Vee content is CRAP!
• I Hate Pharma Commercials!! Hate them!!! (Sorry, I'm not going to take a "medicine" that does nothing, creates harm, makes Medicine more expensive, and you have to listen to all the BS People in then then the serious side effects!! For what????
• Every molecule is being tracked!
• Have to PAY for F1 TV and CBS...
• Cannont watch Live Sports!! (ESPN+ is a fraud!)

Because of this, very unsatisfactory exp, Ive Been thinking of actually getting the Fios box back, as maybe I can relax and watch something, and channel surf, and maybe record some crap to watch later... Just costs $1000 a year!

What ... BS!

@#$@#$$%$^%!!

• Haha
Reactions: ohio.emt

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Google is the be-all, end-all for a lot of people, just like Apple is the be-all, end-all for their dedicated users. Both will find the price acceptable no matter what.
I find that odd, because most Google Products are free or low cost. Apple's products are on a completely different level. People all in on Apple and overpaying makes sense. Google does not---at least not to me.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
YouTube TV and Hulu have become what they were trying to kill.
But they always were what they were trying to kill. They are just the same cable package except delivered over the internet.

They don't own the channels. They have to pay for the channels and resell them to the customer sorta speak. The channels (media companies behind them) dictate the terms for the most part.

Reactions: ohio.emt

seidelhd

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Now they need to fix their spat with Roku and get the YTTV app back in the Roku store (I did not download it before they took it down).

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
I have one question about this new add-on. How does unlimited streams at home affect the number of streams able to be used outside the home?

For example, if there are currently 3 streams in the home then no one outside the home can use it at that time?

I suppose all it means is there is a 3 stream limit overall except if all the streams are in the home.

But it could also never count the home as more than one stream either. Thereby always allowing at least 2 streams outside the home no matter how many are using it at home at that time.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.