Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stoutman11

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
I would expect it stays at $55. It will take over three years of $55 payments for YouTube to make up the 30% cut that Apple takes in the first year. You don't need to sign up from an Apple device to use YouTube.tv on the device. Save your money and purchase the subscription directly from Google.

So i should just cancel before may 13th and sign back up through the website. Funny way to circumvent apple and keep all the profits.

jrriney

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2019
And...I’m out. I tried YouTube TV for March Madness, and it was awesome—not going to lie, I DVRed literally every...single...game. For that, I will pay $50-55 or whatever the rate they will upcharge us in the future. But I will not pay it every month. Maybe when college football season rolls around, I’ll pick it back up, but I’m spending my summer fishing. Screw TV and these companies who think they can charge a fortune to advertise to us. Boomer mentality, and it’s dying quickly. Google would be wise to remember why we have a “cord-cutting” market in the first place.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 7.12.26 PM.png

According to Youtube... y'all wanted this.

Reactions: poorcody

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
I am paying more for Dish network for sure. And my DVR is not unlimited. But what we do have is the ability to skip commercials easily. 30 second skip forward, 10 second skip back. No other service has this, and when they try to implement something, it doesn’t work well. On Dish it even adds up your skip time on screen. Tap forward 3 times and back 4 and it will show +50sec. Very useful for skipping through all the random length commercials. Also useful for going play to play in a dvr football game (+20).

Most cord cutting services purposely force you to watch ads. On Dish there are a few free on demand channels that force you to watch ads, but if you dvr the same shows off live tv, you can skip.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I thought these services were suppose to compete with cable no longer the case with these prices

The two benefits they always touted were prices, and the ability to pick what you want.... 'a la carte'. Pricing has been going up and up. And the so-called 'a la carte' always seemed a joke to me. They offer you several package choices (I've not tried Youtube TV myself, but have used Directtv Now and Sling... It appears Youtube TV is the same).... plus the ability to pick the premium movie channels. How is this a la carte? How is this any different than cable?

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

scuac

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Man this sucks. I JUST switched to YTTV last month after DirectTV NOW raised its price. I am canceling this now.

On a side note, isn’t charging more for subscribers through Apple against Apple’s TOS? Wouldn’t be surprised to see backlash from Apple and see the app removed.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Are these companies trying to help launch Apple TV+?
It’s possible Google already knows what Apple will be charging and that their lineup will be missing a few significant channels compared to Google’s YouTube TV service so they may feel comfortable with the price increase they just announced. 50-60 dollars is fast becoming the standard/lowest tier pricing. It’s only a matter of time before Sony and Hulu raise their prices into this range. Cable TV executives are beginning to sleep a little easier with increases like this.
[doublepost=1554953124][/doublepost]
I think you might have misunderstood what AppleTV+ is going to be...

it won't have any live TV channels like this or other streaming TV services.
So a lot of people will still have to get service from either a cable company or one of these streaming services (in addition to subscribing to Netflix). I was hoping Apple TV+ would be another option to Vue, YouTube TV and the others providing live TV/on demand, hopefully a better one. Not so apparently.

Last edited:

scuac

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Is it too much to ask to have a simple service with a few channels, e.g. all local networks (abc,cbs,nbc,fox) and some sports channels (espn,espn2,fs1,fs2, maybe nbcsn), 10 channels tops. $15 per month. Nothing else, I don’t need any pf the filler crappy channels. Who do i need to talk to to make this happen?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Buy a discount iTunes gift card and you will still get YouTube tv cheaper.

You'll get anything cheaper with discounted iTunes gift card but do you want to support this kind of behaviour from YouTube?
[doublepost=1554954880][/doublepost]
Article Link: YouTube TV Increases Price to $49.99/Month, $54.99/Month When Billed Through Apple

Isn't it insane what they think their crapola programming is worth, especially since it's still the same old bundles of channels cable sells (most of which you'll never watch) and it's riddled with annoying ads AND they're scraping your data to boot. They manage to squeeze a couple of revenue streams into garbage programming packages ... what a deal!

Pays $55 a month and have the service sucking your personal data uncontrollably. What a bargain! :D

Last edited:

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Wow, lots of negative comments here.

Because I don’t like being charged extra for something I won’t use. There support channels are getting hammered to the point they had to put up an auto email response saying they are busier than normal. So I guess a lot of other people don’t like that either.

Or else thousands of new customers are rushing to sign up now that more channels are available, but I don’t think that’s the reason.

View attachment 831573

According to Youtube... y'all wanted this.

They are wrong.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Is it too much to ask to have a simple service with a few channels, e.g. all local networks (abc,cbs,nbc,fox) and some sports channels (espn,espn2,fs1,fs2, maybe nbcsn), 10 channels tops. $15 per month. Nothing else, I don’t need any pf the filler crappy channels. Who do i need to talk to to make this happen?

That actually did happen with Dish Network, about 20 years ago. Pick 10 channels, pay $15/month; that's the package I had. There were a few restrictions, including premium channels like HBO obviously. Also I don't know if you could get local networks, but I wasn't watching anything on network channels anyway so I can't say for sure. I eventually dropped it, since it got to the point where even 10 channels was about 9 too many.

So you need to talk to someone who can get you access to a time machine, so you can go back to the late 90s/early 2000s.

--Eric

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I think all sellers on the app store should have an "App store fee" line on their billing invoice, just to remind customers what Apple charges for the "convenience"

Reactions: Stella

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
It’s still a massive cost savings over cable... everyone likes to compare the promo costs cable offers for 12-24 months like those are permanent. They also conveniently ignore the actual 1:1 value proposition. 6 users and free DVR for this one? That’s 20 dollars for DVR service these days and 10 dollars a month for the other 5 on cable box rental. That’s 70 bucks right there... or - higher cost than these internet providers alone. Then you get to buy your cable package, which is all now lost money.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
It’s still a massive cost savings over cable... everyone likes to compare the promo costs cable offers for 12-24 months like those are permanent. They also conveniently ignore the actual 1:1 value proposition. 6 users and free DVR for this one? That’s 20 dollars for DVR service these days and 10 dollars a month for the other 5 on cable box rental. That’s 70 bucks right there... or - higher cost than these internet providers alone. Then you get to buy your cable package, which is all now lost money.

The real cost savings for me will he not paying for either for awhile. I’ll be saving a ton these next few months until NFL starts up again. I’m glad they’re raising the prices as it comes at a perfect time to cancel and get outside to enjoy summer.

AZMecha

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Well I was planning to cut cable after game of thrones.... But Not now... I pays $85.99 that has all premium channels HBO,CINEMAX,STARS & 1TB DVR bundled with Internet 50MB Down 12MB up...

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
The real cost savings for me will he not paying for either for awhile. I’ll be saving a ton these next few months until NFL starts up again. I’m glad they’re raising the prices as it comes at a perfect time to cancel and get outside to enjoy summer.

That's a personal comparison to make -- but the starting point should be the 1:1 I had listed out. How much for 6 TVs to be covered for cable with 1 of those being the whole-home DVR? Don't need that many TVs - that's cool, not many would - so start subtracting to see which makes more financial sense. Their offering, for a family of 4, still makes quite a bit of sense to me. I don't, because Spectrum allows me to eliminate boxes with Roku's, Apple TV's and Fire Sticks... that, and they don't have MSG, which is a bummer.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Lol, woah, these prices are getting more expensive as the months go on...

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
Considering cable companies own most of the networks, price increase was widely anticipated and inevitable. Heck, T-Mobile launched their own TV offering today at whopping $90/month!

I want to think that this is a desperate attempt by networks to resist the eventuality.

The next phase will probably be consolidation of various channels into fewer on-demand streaming services.

If Disney+ is successful, I think it will have to consolidate and bring all contents from Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD.

Time Warner will probably consolidate all Warner Entertainment channels into HBO Now, such as TBS and TNT. And maybe offer a separate news subscription for CNN and sports channels.

And so on.

Christ $90 a month??? I could get cable from Fios for less than that a month.

EDIT: It looks like they're still going to come out with a streaming only service sometime later this year so this won't be their only TV offering. Hopefully that will be a lot more competitive.

Last edited:

cylack

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2006
Orlando, FL
Starting more and more to resemble cable. Channels that people don’t want and higher prices. Going to drive people back to torrents. All I need cable for is college and NFL football. During football season there are free HD streams posted everywhere so these streaming services better realize they are going to drive sports fans away.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Not gonna lie I saw this coming years ago which is why I never "cut the cord" All these services plus internet is or will will be the same price as just keeping what ya got already.

Osxguy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Keizer Oregon
I just switched internet providers to Xfinity, very happey with the promo rate and service. I was going to sign up for TV+Internet then I read the fin print. $18 in fees on top of a $35 promo increase. That's used car dealer level of of scummy fine print addon's. I cancelled YouTube TV today. before I saw this increase. Only thing I watch that I can't find for free or close is Formula One racing in USA. ESPN is the only provider.
[doublepost=1554935128][/doublepost]
Sure you are... ;)
[doublepost=1554935401][/doublepost]
+ internet, right?
I wouldn’t be surprised if this was evil Comcast’s theory all along.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.