Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
So if it's now $40 for 40 channels from Youtube... what does a similar channel lineup cost from the cable company?

Since you're probably getting your internet from the cable company anyway... they might offer more channels for the same $40 portion of your bill (or a smaller cheaper channel package)

Granted... you'll have a monthly fee for each DVR box from the cable company. So there's that to consider.

Look into beating those box fees with HDHomeRun boxes from Silicon Dust. Then the set-top boxes can be :apple:TVs (or dirt-cheap Amazon Fire) and the content can all be merged into a single on-screen guide with the $25 Channels App. For $8/month add the Channels App DVR with whatever amount of storage you want to assign to it. It's a real DVR, meaning you control the content you record and don't have to deal with any 30-day time limits... or having to watch the commercials... or having to wait a day or so before you can watch a first-run show, etc.

HDHomeRun Prime works with Cablecard. Other HDHomeRun boxes work with OTA signals. Channels weaves both cable & OTA together in a SINGLE, on-screen guide. Their DVR works with ALL of the channels- select programming is not able to block DVR recording here.

Since you have actual cable (just no cable boxes), you don't burn one byte against your broadband cap. Since you can "double play" the combo of Internet & Cable in one bill, you can get a better price than buying Internet alone and paying someone else for some cable channels. Since you link directly to locals, you get all of your locals- not just some shows from some of the networks. Local news & sports. The local "Regional" sports channel(s) rather than just doing without.

HD is HD, not downgrading or stuttering during busy broadband times. Audio is 5.1 Dolby Digital, not just stereo or mono on these streaming services.

Should something knock out your broadband & cable, you can catch up on your DVR'd shows and/or watch your local OTA networks.

No cable box fees. Add as many TVs as you have- just need :apple:TVs or Amazon Fire. While I have Comcast and use the Xfniity app on the mobile devices in my home, if there wasn't a good cable company app, the Channels App people also offer a Channels app for mobile too.

Then, it's just a matter of staying on top of the cable company so you can work them to re-up the promotional rates for the "double play" to keep the TV + Internet costs low. I'm at about $63 in total including the $8/month DVR service and I get all of my favored programming, feeding 3 TVs and various mobile devices and enjoy a full-function DVR without the shenanigans. Yes, I might be able to squeeze this outlay down a little lower, but all of the other streaming service options sacrifice audio (I didn't build a home theater setup to then fake the surround sound) and generally leave off at least a few desirable channels from their bundles. I also don't have to hop app-to-app or box-to-box for programming, nor run seminars with the FAM on how to watch "the future" television (teaching them to hop app-to-app and box-to-box, change to this input and that input, etc).

:apple:TVs + HDHomeRun boxes + Channels App + Channels DVR can be a great option for those wanting too save some monthly cost but don't want to make what can be significant compromises.

Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
To my eye, YTTV is clearly targeting sports viewers with the channel mix and it's absolutely a great deal with the channels they put together at $35

Fair enough, the only sport I watch regularly is baseball, and I buy MLB.tv for that (and a smartDNS to circumvent the blackout restrictions). Plus, living in a mixed marriage (I'm a Red Sox fan, wife is a Yankees fan) means being able to watch the home-feed of numerous teams is worth it.

Also, although I'm not a huge football fan, this last season I think all but one of the my local team's games were on an over-the-air channel.

I can see how fans of college sports and such can find value in these packages though. I'll give you that. But for people not so into sports... meh.
[doublepost=1520893386][/doublepost]
Look into beating those box fees with HDHomeRun boxes from Silicon Dust. Then the set-top boxes can be :apple:TVs (or dirt-cheap Amazon Fire) and the content can all be merged into a single on-screen guide with the $25 Channels App. For $8/month add the Channels App DVR with whatever amount of storage you want to assign to it. It's a real DVR, meaning you control the content you record and don't have to deal with any 30-day time limits... or having to watch the commercials... or having to wait a day or so before you can watch a first-run show, etc.

HDHomeRun Prime works with Cablecard. Other HDHomeRun boxes work with OTA signals. Channels weaves both cable & OTA together in a SINGLE, on-screen guide. Their DVR works with ALL of the channels- select programming is not able to block DVR recording here.

Since you have actual cable (just no cable boxes), you don't burn one byte against your broadband cap. Since you can "double play" the combo of Internet & Cable in one bill, you can get a better price than buying Internet alone and paying someone else for some cable channels. Since you link directly to locals, you get all of your locals- not just some shows from some of the networks. Local news & sports. The local "Regional" sports channel(s) rather than just doing without.

HD is HD, not downgrading or stuttering during busy broadband times. Audio is 5.1 Dolby Digital, not just stereo or mono on these streaming services.

Should something knock out your broadband & cable, you can catch up on your DVR'd shows and/or watch your local OTA networks.

No cable box fees. Add as many TVs as you have- just need :apple:TVs or Amazon Fire. While I have Comcast and use the Xfniity app on the mobile devices in my home, if there wasn't a good cable company app, the Channels App people also offer a Channels app for mobile too.

Then, it's just a matter of staying on top of the cable company so you can work them to re-up the promotional rates for the "double play" to keep the TV + Internet costs low. I'm at about $63 in total including the $8/month DVR service and I get all of my favored programming, feeding 3 TVs and various mobile devices and enjoy a full-function DVR without the shenanigans. Yes, I might be able to squeeze this outlay down a little lower, but all of the other streaming service options sacrifice audio (I didn't build a home theater setup to then fake the surround sound) and generally leave off at least a few desirable channels from their bundles. I also don't have to hop app-to-app or box-to-box for programming, nor run seminars with the FAM on how to watch "the future" television (teaching them to hop app-to-app and box-to-box, change to this input and that input, etc).

:apple:TVs + HDHomeRun boxes + Channels App + Channels DVR can be a great option for those wanting too save some monthly cost but don't want to make what can be significant compromises.

I do this for OTA content, and it works very very well. The guide and UI are top notch too.

rmendol1

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
YTTV is an amazing value for sports. Many of their channels are never offered in the lower tiers from cable companies.

The FS2, ESPNU, SEC, BIG type of networks I mean.

Very hard to get a pack with this unique set of sports offerings for $35
It’s an excellent value especially with the recent Turner Broadcasr channel add. Way better deal than our previous service with Spectrum at twice the price with inferior DVR

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I'm at about $63 in total including the $8/month DVR service and I get all of my favored programming, feeding 3 TVs and various mobile devices and enjoy a full-function DVR without the shenanigans.

Amazing deal!
What is your channel lineup like?
Is that viewable online somewhere you could link to?

Would love to check it out! (just for fun)
[doublepost=1520894292][/doublepost]
I do this for OTA content, and it works very very well. The guide and UI are top notch too.

yep - me too
Channels app is great

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Is that $89/mo with internet included? Or just for cable channels?

That's what I was asking earlier. You still need internet to use any of these online TV services.

I was just wondering if it's cheaper to get your channels from the same place you get your internet... or is it cheaper to get your channels from someone else like Youtube?

After some thought... this whole "cord cutting" thing might not be about saving money at all. It might be about control.

It might cost the same (or more) to get your internet and channels from different companies. But with the online services you get things like cloud DVR and the ability to watch TV on any device. (and no box rental per TV)

And no matter what you pay for channels... you still gotta pay for Netflix. Because Netflix. :p

Cable is definitely a lot cheaper... at least in my area. I think a lot of people are lumping in cost of internet which makes their cable package seem more expensive and they proabably don’t realize they can customize their TV package to lower the cost.

As for Netflix, eh, I do fine without it. If I had to choose, I’d go with HBO. If Netflix ever puts out something as good as GOT or CYE, maybe I’ll sign up again.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I think a lot of people are lumping in cost of internet

I think it's fair to lump the cost into both comparisons, as I would imagine everyone is going to want internet whether they want Cable TV or Streaming Cable TV or no TV at all.

The nice thing about the streaming solutions vs cable tv is how easy it is to switch or cancel and reactivate seasonally, etc.

Also, very little shenanigans with pricing (thus far). Cable is fraught with BS fees they make up to sneak the rate up if you're not constantly watching them.

Obviously it all depends where you are and which cable co we are talking about too...
[doublepost=1520894646][/doublepost]
As for Netflix, eh, I do fine without it. If I had to choose, I’d go with HBO.

+1 on that - I personally have never understood the obsession with Netflix. It simply has never appealed to me, but different strokes for all of us of course.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Amazing deal!
What is your channel lineup like?
Is that viewable online somewhere you could link to?

I don't think Comcast channel lineups are standardized around the country, but I have the Digital Preferred Plus option because it has ALL of the channels that I care about (and a number that I don't care about but can easily hide within the Channels App guide). After the NBA season ends, I can drop the "plus" to shave a few dollars off the bill until NBA season starts up again and I want to get those channels.

To that, I add all of the OTA channels here in South Florida with a smallish antenna, which gets me the big 4-6 networks (depending on if one counts CW and PBS as "big" networks) and a whole bunch of sub-channels, many of which have great classic TV programming- tallying about 28 channels I like enough to display in the guide out of about 50 channels total OTA.

Since Comcast Xfinity is one of the providers listed in :apple:TV apps, the vast majority of individual television channel/service apps are unlocked too, granting me included access to lots of streaming programming from entities like NBC, TNT, SCI and many others. Only a few don't seem to have a deal with Xfinity yet. But frankly, with the unlimited DVR, I find I'm recording stuff I want to watch faster than I can watch it, so I don't end up with much time for app streams anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyeseeyou

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Prices on almost everything will rise this year. When customers have more money to spend, companies will be aggressive with price hikes. More have jobs, more in each paycheck, more confidence will always equal price hikes. Companies will get their pound of flesh. Nothing new here.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If you look up promotional offers for it right now as a "double play" they are readily discoverable for about $70-$90. And again, I'm bringing my own equipment, owning my own hardware, etc. Apparently, I can add on free voice & texting in a Xfinity cell phone plan too now, but I haven't looked into that enough yet.

I'm guessing your family in Seattle is probably leasing Comcast boxes (at $8-20/month each), probably leasing a Comcast cable Modem (at probably $8-20/month) and have let their promotional pricing expire.

Consumers must flex their sole power- that they have the money these companies want- and bargain rather than just rolling over and paying whatever companies want. In my case, I have an annual phone call in which I have to threaten to leave, sometimes lining up where I'm going if they call the bluff. So far, they decide they'd rather keep me at promotional rates than lose all of my business. They renew me for 1-year at a time and I just keep an eye on the bill each month (because they are notorious for sneaking in new charges). Pounce on any surprises.

Encourage your family in Seattle to take action. If they don't want to go the cord-cutter route (or they hybrid route like I have), they could switch to DISH and get 2-year lock-in rates for way below $190 and still use slowish Internet alone from Comcast. I would think Seattle would have robust competition for Internet (and cable too), so they could probably upgrade their Internet speed and get a much better rate even on traditional television, Here's Seattle DISH offer for $59/month with a 2-year price lock: https://dish-systems.com/dish-programming/channels/dish-hd-local-channels/washington/seattle/ I found that one with practically no effort. A little shopping around may find something even better.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I'm guessing your family in Seattle is probably leasing Comcast boxes (at $8-20/month each), probably leasing a Comcast cable Modem (at probably $8-20/month) and have let their promotional pricing expire.

They are old people - just not in their wheelhouse to do any of that.

Sucks our business environment has deteriorated to "having to threaten to cancel or beg" to simply get the fair price they are willing to give.

These companies are horrible.

Luckily they are about to move in with younger family and just share in their plan at the new house.

Reactions: Jwhite1

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Left DTVNow after 1 year for YTV and couldn't be happier. Great service... enough relevant channels for my family, and it works! No buffering or compressed video either.
Sports stream at 30 fps, don't they?

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Thank God I’m on DTVN grandfathered go big for $35...100 channels.
You can’t pry it from my cold dead body lol

green94

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Thank God I’m on DTVN grandfathered go big for $35...100 channels.
You can’t pry it from my cold dead body lol
I was in the same boat and reluctant to leave but I’m so glad I did. Their service has gotten marginally better over the past year and the Beta app is a mess.
[doublepost=1520902873][/doublepost]
Sports stream at 30 fps, don't they?
No, not once.
[doublepost=1520902937][/doublepost]
YouTube TV is so utterly ridiculous and unnecessary.
How exactly? Assuming you think this about all streaming services?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
With my att $25 unlimited data plus monthly credit. Other monthly credits (around $60 in monthly credits for the year). 3 receivers plus whole house dvr.
Free nfl Sunday ticket. 200 Channels

Even with bogus regional sports channel fees and taxes. My total direct tv (satellite tv) bill is around $40 including all taxes and fee and 3 receivers.

I really see no reason to pay for streaming services like YouTube tv or direct tv now or sling.

ChKen

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2016
YTTV is an amazing value for sports. Many of their channels are never offered in the lower tiers from cable companies.

The FS2, ESPNU, SEC, BIG type of networks I mean.

Very hard to get a pack with this unique set of sports offerings for $35
I would just say that the sports offering looks very similar to what PlaystationVue offers in their Core package at $45/mo. A bunch of channels come under the ESPN banner, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNNews,ESPNU,Big10Network, SECnetwork. And a bunch come under Fox, FS1, FS2, FSPlus. And then you have NBC, with NBCSN, and the Olympic Channel. And, then some standalone like NBAtv, but I don't see NFL channel, which PSVue has.

For me, the big difference is PSVue has 5 simultaneous streams, while YTTV only allows 3. If you watch 2 games at once, or have a family, being able to watch more than 3 streams simultaneously is crucial. Only PSVue, as far as I know allows that.

The DVR feature is longer for YTTV, 9 months instead of 1 month. That's very useful on PSVue, compared to SlingTV or DirectTV, etc.

But most importantly, I'd rather not give Google more info about me or my family. PSVue works great.

Reactions: eyeseeyou

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
This seems to be a high price for a package. I am on at&t unlimited data. For 25$ I get 60 channels plus sports network like NBC sports Bay area with DTVNow. The beauty is not with DTVNiw app. The app still sucks! I download all the relevant channel apps and login using DTVNow login. I am all good to go. No buffering and I get more programs to watch than what DTVNow offers. Plus I have Netflix and Hulu. Also with at&t unlimited, I get HBO free. So I have everything covered. Why should I pay 40$ for YouTube tv?

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
PSVue works great.

Very limited full locals unfortunately otherwise I'd be considering PSVue also (this is for our vacation house - we have OTA at home)
[doublepost=1520906905][/doublepost]
I’m sure they can, i’ve Never seen it.

Maybe we are talking past each other - Were you saying you've never seen 30fps or never seen 60fps?
[doublepost=1520907343][/doublepost]
This seems to be a high price for a package. I am on at&t unlimited data. For 25$

You are essentially a bundle customer for AT&T w/ your mobile service.
That's not really a fair comparison for YTTV.

In your situation, you absolutely should just use DTVnow, no question.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
In terms of cord cutting vs cable prices, I think one of the other factors that sometimes gets lost is that many people aren’t paying the full price (or anything) for all these cord cutting services.

YTTV is $35, but you can add 5 additional accounts & those accounts technically, don’t have to be in your house.
So people can share with family / friends in different areas. Netflix & Hulu accounts are shared all the time among roommates, siblings, parents, etc. So multiple people could be benefiting from s single account holder.

So while invidually all these services can add up, I don’t think that’s the case for a large amount of people.

Plus when you factor in things like AT&T DTV Now $10 a month plan for certain wireless customers, or T Mobiles Netflix for a year, people could be saving a great deal compared to traditional cable.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Is YTTV free from adverts and adverts in programming? And is it on demand/replay after the event.

For me the best thing about Netflix etc is that you get access to ever changing content with no adverts. I can’t watch adverts on British tv let alone the behemoth ad blocks on American tv where you get a massive advert before the credits roll!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.