Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Picture-in-picture support is rolling out to all YouTube TV users who have an iOS 15 device, the YouTube TV team announced today on Twitter.

youtube-tv.jpg

When watching YouTube TV content, users can swipe up from the bottom of the screen to return to the Home screen, with the content continuing to play in a small picture-in-picture window that can be adjusted. With picture-in-picture support, YouTube TV users can watch content while continuing to do other things on the iPhone or the iPad.

Google has also been testing picture-in-picture for standard YouTube content with its premium subscribers, but the feature has not yet rolled out beyond those who have a subscription, which is priced at $11.99 in the U.S. Google has, however, said that it is planning to launch picture-in-picture support for all YouTube users in the near future.

With YouTube TV officially supporting picture-in-picture, it's possible Google will soon also expand the feature to YouTube.

Article Link: YouTube TV Rolling Out Picture-in-Picture Support for All iOS 15 Devices

Think|Different

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2021
Sad this is even a story. They, along with others, simply limit the built-in feature for monetary gain. It's stupid and I'm still disappointed Apple allows the big players to get away with it. Every video player API should be connected to the PIP one and work – plain and simple. And don't say "They can't figure out ads!" (they can) - even if the PIP video just stops working because it can't transfer to an ad, FINE, it's better than neutering a whole feature.

Appleman3546

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2019
I am thrilled that Macrumors is holding google accountable to their promise to bring it to free users too

Reactions: ikir

clummu20

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2022
Ok this is odd. I'm in the U.S., and:
  • YouTube: I'm NOT a paid YouTube subscriber, but I DO have picture-in-picture on my iPhone.
  • YouTubeTV: I AM a paid subscriber, and YouTubeTV DOESN'T have picture-in-picture on my iPhone.
(iPhone 12 running iOS 15, both YouTube & YouTube TV apps are up-to-date). Anyone else?

Reactions: aParkerMusic

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Google has also been testing picture-in-picture for standard YouTube content with its premium subscribers, but the feature has not yet rolled out beyond those who have a subscription, which is priced at $11.99 in the U.S.
I have YouTube Premium and upon double-checking, I do not have this feature.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: moldy lunchbox

Force332

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
PiP was first introduced on the iPad in what, iOS 9? 6 or 7 years ago. Still not natively supported by YouTube. ?

Reactions: snek

clummu20

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2022
I'm NOT a paid YouTube subscriber, but I DO have picture-in-picture on my iPhone & iPad. ?‍♂️ (picture posted for proof)
IMG_3738.JPG

Reactions: aParkerMusic

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Haven’t upgraded to iOS 15, but I definitely look forward to using this when I do. I’m constantly on YouTube, so it’s welcome feature. I like browsing while listening to PBS News Hour.

MrViking

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
I have premium. I could opt in for PIP with YouTube, ends April 8th. So I’m guessing they plan on releasing it by then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.