Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I fully expect the UI to be as incomprehensible and f****ng maddening as the current YouTube and Google Maps UIs.
Google surely doesn't care, but I actively avoid both apps unless I have o choice, because using them always reduces me to tears as absolutely NOTHING behaves the way I would expect.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

TechnoLawyer

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2021
They can’t bring PiP on YouTube Free. Their deals with certain rights holders do not allow background playback or multitasking on the free tier. Besides, if background playback is a big driver to Premium, why would they give it away for free.

Standard YouTube does a pop-out windows on Samsung phones, and you can slide the little pop-out nearly off the screen. I'm unsure if this is a YouTube feature or something Samsung janked together, but it's nice, and I severely miss it.

Reactions: KurtWilde

frownface

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2020
They can’t bring PiP on YouTube Free. Their deals with certain rights holders do not allow background playback or multitasking on the free tier. Besides, if background playback is a big driver to Premium, why would they give it away for free.

And yet youtube PiP is natively supported on the android app.
So you're saying rights holders have issue with background playback for iphone users and not android?

paulovsouza

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2012
I truly watch less YouTube because they don’t have PIP. I have to really want to watch a video through, to want to be stuck on the app. It’s crazy to pay $12 for a basic feature every other media app has. Glad I’m grandfathered into the volume up and down feature.

Reactions: ikir and KurtWilde

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Withholding PNP has been one of the most user hostile moves ever. I’m sure the only reason Google changed it is because TIKTok is consuming more and more video time, not that Google decided to be decent and teach customers with respect.

I’ll Never subscribe to Google premium products like YoutubeTV because why would I trust them not to pull another hostile move for their own greed—well, that and the creepy spying.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
About time they add this for YouTube TV. That was the only thing I liked better about HuluTV, the ability for PIP.

sean+mac

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2020
Canada
It's the YouTube app
Thank for taking the time to record and share your video! Your exception to the normal behaviour most people report is ... odd. Maybe you're in an A/B test group or something?

Funny enough in attempting to reproduce it I got a takeover prompt in YouTube offering me to upgrade to premium to watch videos in the background (this showed upon returning into the app, having tried to do the one thing I'd expect any other video play to do.) Yea Meta ... that purchase is not going to happen. ?

Then I thought "maybe my app is out of date". It was. So I updated. But ... still no dice.

(Note: ??-based user.)

Reactions: brucemr

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
I know other apps like Peacock and Sunday Ticket can already do this, BUT you can't watch videos from separate services at the same time. One video pauses, like if you're watching Sunday Ticket and go PIP and start Peacock, Sunday Ticket stops the video. Is this going to be the case with YouTube TV as well? If so, it's kinda useless.
The sort-of PIP YouTube TV has now is that you can minimize the channel you're watching and scroll through the Live TV guide, and your original vid will still be playing audio and video in the corner, while the Live TV listings will run the video simultaneous.y

clummu20

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2022
Thank for taking the time to record and share your video! Your exception to the normal behaviour most people report is ... odd. Maybe you're in an A/B test group or something?

Funny enough in attempting to reproduce it I got a takeover prompt in YouTube offering me to upgrade to premium to watch videos in the background (this showed upon returning into the app, having tried to do the one thing I'd expect any other video play to do.) Yea Meta ... that purchase is not going to happen. ?

Then I thought "maybe my app is out of date". It was. So I updated. But ... still no dice.

(Note: ??-based user.)
Right? Very strange.

Everyone on here talking about YouTube free not doing picture in picture, all the while I’m trying to wave my hands without typing in all caps “but then why does mine do it?”

(Again, for anyone reading this, I am not a YouTube premium customer but can do PNP on YouTube on my iPhone and iPad. See my video post earlier in the thread)

That was a thought of mine too, that maybe I’m part of some random test market or something. Not going to argue with it though, and hopefully it rolls out to everyone else sooner than later.

Reactions: sean+mac

TheClaff

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
I don’t see this in settings and don’t seem to have experimental settings so not sure how to enable it. I’m a paid premium user.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
It looks like the feature is live if you update the YouTube app, which the store says was updated yesterday. I am a Premium subscriber, so I was in the beta for several months, but this one seems to improve on the beta. It no longer brings up a PiP when the video isn't playing (it would irritatingly appear 95% of the time whether the video was playing or not), and the on/off for the PiP is now in the Settings of the app. If you don't have the feature yet, check the store app to see if it's updatable. I've noticed it doesn't always show up in the list, but can sometimes be updated if you go to the app's App Store page directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.