Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
So I just got done building a 16 core xeon (2x) 2687w, 6gb Nvidia Titan, 64gb Crucial Ballistix and Samsung 840 Pro SSD machine for the new Mac Pro 12core.

I've been debating it for a while but I just can't stand to fragment my workflow by messing with Windows and it's versions of software.

I hate not having hot corners, multiple desktops, messages, FCPX, thunderbolt (yes I know I can buy another card) etc. On top of that, I generally don't like having to work on two machines. I have a maxed out late 2012 iMac but it's just not up to the task when handling 5k video and massive After Effects projects, which is why I built the 2nd machine, but it's just turning into a headache to switch back and forth from editing to graphics on two machines.

So, I think I'm going for it. Selling my iMac and PC and jumping onto the nMP bandwagon. It won't be as powerful, but will pay off in spades in reducing my complex workflow. Not to mention not having daily "windows updates" ;P

Am I crazy for doing this? I know I'm going to take a massive hit monetarily and performance when jumping ship...

Oh, and in before, "Cool story bro..."

Last edited:

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Cool story bro ... jk:p

I am doing the same with selling my current mac pro but I think I am going to pick up a 6 core .. since the 12 core is probably going to be around 6k at least:(

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Jet, what did it take you to convert your hex 3.33 to the 3.46 processor, cost as well? I am mildly curious as I have to stick with mine for awhile to ensure my complex and expensive scanning hardware will work on the new ones.

You can PM me about it in order to keep this on topic..

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
There is something to be said against the annoying Windows Update aspect, but wow... what a nice machine you're tossing.

Once I'm inside the programs, the only difference between Mac and PC is maybe Command vs Control key, and the OS X features you mention like hot corners. I use Adobe tools for the most part, and if anything, the Windows versions have features that were removed from the Mac version, but otherwise act identically. I'm used to Alt-Tab instead of Exposé in Windows, but then I've been using both platforms now for years.

I don't think you're crazy for choosing what you like, though. By doing so, you'll do your best work. Good luck!

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I don't think you're crazy for choosing what you like, though. By doing so, you'll do your best work.

That is what I tell people when they ask me why I have gone back to shooting film and printing black and white in a darkroom, I don't want everything in my life digitized..:)

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Luddite?

Apologies in advanced.

And you make your point by digitally announcing it on a technology forum...(drum beat)

That is what I tell people when they ask me why I have gone back to shooting film and printing black and white in a darkroom, I don't want everything in my life digitized..:)

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I suppose it depends what level of Mac Pro you can get to replace those machines; the PC for example sounds pretty sweet, so it must be possible to find a buyer for it somewhere, and the iMac is still a good machine so it should fetch a decent price. I dunno if AppleCare is transferable, but if you have that then it should make it an easy sale for that extra guarantee. This could make the cost of switching to the new Mac Pro a lot less painful.

I do wonder if there aren't alternatives you could try though; for example, have you tried installing OS X on the PC to make it a hackintosh? Compatibility with all the various components is the biggest issue, but if you don't try it you'll never know, as that PC ought to make a perfectly good hack pro if you can get it to work!

Also, does your PC have Xeons with hyper-threading? If not then the new 8-core will give you roughly comparable CPU performance I think, but even so if you're going to be using the right programs then CPU performance isn't going to be where you want to spend anyway as a 4 or 6 core with D500 or better GPUs may give you more mileage for your money.

One last option, but have you thought about setting up a remote connection to the PC so you can use it from your iMac? All you need is a decent gigabit network and it should run really smoothly; okay so it doesn't totally eliminate hassle as you still need to install Windows updates every so-often, but it means you're not exactly switching machines, you just connect to the PC when you need it, you might even be able to set it up to sleep until needed. This way you can still use hot-corners for accessing stuff on the iMac, and the PC's desktop would be just like a full-screen app you dip into as required. The other advantage of this is you can put the PC anywhere your network can reach, so if it's a noisy beast you can move it into a utility room, or a cool basement (assuming it's dry enough).

I don't think your crazy, just thought I'd throw some of the options I'd consider first if I were in the same situation (wish I was!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.