Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
that is literally the biggest issue i'm dealing with right now on my intel macs, 2 mins into zoom call and my macbook sounds like a boeing 747 taking off. i don't mind being apple beta tester if it means i don't have to sit next to outlet during zoom.
at least it doesn't sound like a 737.. which is where Intel's headed

Reactions: ilikewhey

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
that is literally the biggest issue i'm dealing with right now on my intel macs, 2 mins into zoom call and my macbook sounds like a boeing 747 taking off. i don't mind being apple beta tester if it means i don't have to sit next to outlet during zoom.

Sounds like a software issue with not using Intel accelerated video encoder. Believe Zoom uses h264 so it should be low CPU utilization. Have you reported to Apple and Zoom before needlessly throwing money at hardware upgrade?

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Sounds like a software issue with not using Intel accelerated video encoder. Believe Zoom uses h264 so it should be low CPU utilization. Have you reported to Apple and Zoom before needlessly throwing money at hardware upgrade?

Trust me, it's a widespread issue with video calls on the Intel MacBook Air -- at least the i5 and i7 versions. The cooling in these things is nowhere near sufficient, unless you're using first party software. Who's to blame for that? It doesn't really matter, but...

This certainly isn't a one-off issue. I was in a Google Meet for about 20 seconds today before my CPU ramped to 100*C and the fan was at 8000+ RPM, which is very noticeable in meetings. Nothing else open but a single Chrome window. Performance in Safari is even worse.

Zoom gets me nearly the same result.

JMO1

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2017
Zoom is the worst, borderline malware. Inefficient, bloated, stealthy... I despise apps that require deep installation of God knows what and lack -by design- a lightweight client that can run from the DMG or a USB when all you're trying to do is quickly connect to a meeting.

I have zoom, microsoft teams, teamviewer, et al only on my iPhone, where I know they're strictly sanboxed and wont take over and install more crap than necessary... in case I need to share screen, I try to stick with the web client when available.
Do you have any more data or supporting documents on Zooms borderline malware. I’m very curious about this topic. Thanks

dialogbox

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2020
Real problem of the fan noise is that it makes me impossible to use an internal mic because if I do, people can hear the noise through the mic. Noise canceling can help but it anyhow drops audio quality of already bad sound of the internal mic.

Reactions: Jimmy James

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Do you have any more data or supporting documents on Zooms borderline malware. I’m very curious about this topic. Thanks

Sure, here are a couple sources, there have been many shady practices and scandals around it:

seabass9

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
same here, 2018 MBP and the fan is running like crazy for each zoom call. That's the reason I went with the MBA M1 arriving in 10 days!

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Trust me, it's a widespread issue with video calls on the Intel MacBook Air -- at least the i5 and i7 versions. The cooling in these things is nowhere near sufficient, unless you're using first party software. Who's to blame for that? It doesn't really matter, but...

This certainly isn't a one-off issue. I was in a Google Meet for about 20 seconds today before my CPU ramped to 100*C and the fan was at 8000+ RPM, which is very noticeable in meetings. Nothing else open but a single Chrome window. Performance in Safari is even worse.

It should be a non-issue since Intel CPUs since 2011 Sandy bridge support Intel Quick Sync hardware accelerated video encoding so no impact to CPU utilization nor temperature. That's why you put both Apple and Zoom on notice to fix the software issue instead of throwing money at buying new hardware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

Last edited:

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure

Turn off turbo boost (as a short term solution)

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
The fans coming on seem to be a problem with newer Macs. I’m using a 2015 MacBook Pro and I use Zoom 4 days a week for 3 to 4 hours a day, sometimes more, while running a virtual machine, and the fans do not come on. I’m looking to upgrade but need virtualization support, so hopefully by early next year Parallels will have a solution for me.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
It should be a non-issue since Intel CPUs since 2011 Sandy bridge support Intel Quick Sync hardware accelerated video encoding so no impact to CPU utilization nor temperature. That's why you put both Apple and Zoom on notice to fix the software issue instead of throwing money at buying new hardware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

I understand what you're saying, but what I'm trying to say is...

They're very aware already.

Reactions: sportsnut

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

Indeed. Given how lightweight and easy Zoom seems to run on iPhones and iPads I can't wait until we get that level of efficiency on the M1 chip. We should see similar efficiencies on the new Macs.

mdw1

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2015
same here, 2018 MBP and the fan is running like crazy for each zoom call. That's the reason I went with the MBA M1 arriving in 10 days!
Received mine yesterday had to try YouTube video opened 5 tabs with video running sure beat my 2020 Air wasn't hot and was nice to not have the fan running all the time..

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
So this performance while using Zoom as x86 rosetta translation, how long will it last if it was native?!

Everyone was laughing at Apple for releasing 32 Facetime callers, jokes on them Apple knew COVID was coming. Now they should have jumped the opportunity and made Facetime an Android App and Windows. This way to lure more customers to the Apple ecosystem

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
"Working" from home but not at a stationary spot where you can stay plugged in?

Weird.
Many people working from home like to not be stuck at their workstation/desk all day - it is very different to being in the office. I try to get away from desk a lot. During a discussion on video conferencing I dont need to be sat at my desk - at other times I do.

DSMinAtlanta

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2013
This is literally one of the main reasons I’m picking up an M1 MacBook Air today.

I spend most of my days on video calls now, and my 2018 MacBook Pro just doesn’t cope.

We use Whereby for most calls, and within the first minute the fans start going crazy and my MBP slows to a complete hault. Sharing my screen or trying to do other work while on a video call is a nightmare. Forget trying to take the call while on battery - it dies within 20 minutes.

With that said, Google Hangouts and Zoom tend to be much less taxing.
I have the same issues with video calls on my 2018 MBP. My employer uses Google Meet internally and it causes the cpu to spike and the fans to scream. But the laptop is still somewhat usable. Before I had the MBP they had given me a 2018 MBA and trying to run Google Meet would bring that thing to a crawl and cause other apps to crash. I gave up on using a MacBook for these meetings and now I’m using an old iPad (5th gen) which runs Google Meet with zero issues. I don’t understand why it’s so terrible in a browser.

Reactions: kgraf6

AppleFeller

Cancelled
Oct 19, 2020
Anyone got feedback on MS Teams?
I won't get to use it until my class next Tuesday, hoping MS rolls out M1 support before then since its already in the Office Insider Fast Ring. Zoom too, heck Chrome of all things updated day after release to native M1....Zoom should not take long at all. PS: I do not use Chrome, gross but I merely wanted to prove a point with it. Safari is a phenomenal experience on M1 and by far my recommended browser of choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.