Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Can anyone tell me how to change the locaton of photos when they are imported to iPhoto?

Like in iTunes, you can change the location of the imported mp3's.

Thanx

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Yeah...tell me about:mad: ...
I moved the iPhoto application to my other partition...but it won't let me move the library with it....:mad: :( there must be a hack for it
:confused:

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by alex_ant
You could try moving the iPhoto library and making an alias to the library folder in the place iPhoto is looking for the library folder.

I don't want to copy or to have an easier access to the library...I want to change the import location to my other drive...like in iTunes!!
Thanx for the imput thou;)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
I'm not sure what you mean... do you mean that you've moved the iPhoto application to another drive, but your imported photos still end up in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library and you want to change that?

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
I'm not sure what you mean... do you mean that you've moved the iPhoto application to another drive, but your imported photos still end up in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library and you want to change that?

Correct!!!! that's what I mean!!:D

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
OK, then that should work. Make a folder called "iPhoto Library" (in fact, call it whatever you want - it will be your new iPhoto Library folder) and put it wherever you want to. Then ctrl+click it and choose "Make Alias." Move the alias to ~/Pictures and rename it "iPhoto Library." Now whenever iPhoto imports new photos, it will still put them in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library, BUT, that folder is not really a folder - it's an alias that will automatically redirect everything that's placed into it to that other folder you just made. So iPhoto will think that your iPhoto library is in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library, but it's really not.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
OK, then that should work. Make a folder called "iPhoto Library" (in fact, call it whatever you want - it will be your new iPhoto Library folder) and put it wherever you want to. Then ctrl+click it and choose "Make Alias." Move the alias to ~/Pictures and rename it "iPhoto Library." Now whenever iPhoto imports new photos, it will still put them in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library, BUT, that folder is not really a folder - it's an alias that will automatically redirect everything that's placed into it to that other folder you just made. So iPhoto will think that your iPhoto library is in ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library, but it's really not.
It didn't work....I guess because I don't have a ~/Pictures on the other partition:mad: Any other thoughts?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
You don't need a ~/Pictures on the other partition. ("~" = "/Users/yourhomefolder.") Keep the Pictures folder that's in your home directory where it is now, then make a new folder on the other partition (where you want your pictures to go) and create an alias to that folder which is called 'iPhoto Library' and which exists inside ~/Pictures (or /Users/yourhomefolder/Pictures).

I haven't tried this myself, by the way... if THAT doesn't work, making a symbolic link in the Terminal would almost certainly work (99.999% sure).

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
it seems like the iPhoto library can only work in conjunction with the operating system partition... because I copied iPhoto and the library to the partition without Jaguar and then I deleted the original library, then I tried to luanch iPhoto...it opened but it contained no photos!!! So I'm lost!!! But thanx for the help thou ;)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
The thing is that iPhoto is looking for its library in that one location. You could get around this by "tricking" iPhoto into thinking that this library is where it should be when it in fact resides on another drive. I don't know how big of a deal this is for you, but I had this all typed out anyway so I might as well post it. It's long, but it's very easy (I think).

So the goal is to make an alias, or link, from FolderB to FolderA, so that anything that gets put into FolderA gets automatically redirected to FolderB.

Step 1

First of all, FolderA gets moved to FolderB, so that it becomes FolderB. If you take a look at the two drives you're working with:

- Macintosh HD
- Other Partition

What you want to do is make it so that "Macintosh HD/Users/YourHomeFolder/Pictures/iPhoto Library" becomes "Other Partition/iPhoto Library", so that your iPhoto Library longer exists on the partition you're moving it from.

Step 2

The Terminal is an application in your /Applications/Utilities folder. It gives you a command prompt at which you can type commands. You need the Terminal in order to be able to make symbolic links which are what are required for tricking iPhoto. Symbolic links are aliases between files or folders, so that if you have a folder called "trees" and you want to be able to access that folder from two locations in your folder hierarchy, you can make a symbolic link from "trees" to "trees-alias" or whatever and read/write to & from "trees" by accessing "trees-alias" instead of "trees". I hope that makes sense. If not, bear with me, because you don't need to understand how it works, you just need to do it. :)

The exact command you will use will vary depending on the names of the folders involved, but let's keep working with the FolderA and FolderB example:

- FolderA is "Macintosh HD/Users/YourHomeFolder/Pictures/iPhoto Library".
- FolderB is "Other Partition/iPhoto Library". (You can rename this to whatever you like, though - substitute "Other Partition" for the actual name of your other partition.)

In the Terminal, the command you would want to use at the prompt to make the proper alias is (type this AFTER you've done step 1):

ln -s /Volumes/DriveB/iPhoto\ Library ~/Pictures

Where DriveB is the name of your other partition (the partition you want to move your iPhoto Library to).

That should do the trick...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
What I think...

I don't know why iPhoto doesn't let you move your photos to a different folder, but I guess they are better organized when they are all in one folder, eh, tahts what I think :D

I love my Mac...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.