Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
Is there a way to right click with only the keyboard not using the mouse? I know that control + click executes the contextual menu by default. I want to access this menu without having to use the trackpad.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
taeclee99 said:
Is there a way to right click with only the keyboard not using the mouse? I know that control + click executes the contextual menu by default. I want to access this menu without having to use the trackpad.

You mean like the contextual menu key on a standard IBM ps/2 keyboard? I never heard of anything like that for Mac, sorry.

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
ITASOR said:
You mean like the contextual menu key on a standard IBM ps/2 keyboard? I never heard of anything like that for Mac, sorry.

At the risk of trumping a Demi-God here goes:

Turn on Mouse Keys under the Mouse Tab in the Universal Access menu (System Preferences). Now your numeric keypad works as a mouse and the '5' key works as a mouse click. So Ctrl-5 will be a right click. This works for a regular keyboard. Do the same for the keyboard on your PowerBook, but turn on Num Lock (F6) and now the 'I' key will serve as the click.

St. S

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
St Soichiro said:

Turn on Mouse Keys under the Mouse Tab in the Universal Access menu (System Preferences). Now your numeric keypad works as a mouse and the '5' key works as a mouse click. So Ctrl-5 will be a right click. This works for a regular keyboard. Do the same for the keyboard on your PowerBook, but turn on Num Lock (F6) and now the 'I' key will serve as the click.

St. S

ITASOR got pwnd!!

:) :)

it's ok, we still like you!

...and now I can click without a mouse! huzzah! :D

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
St Soichiro said:

St. S

Thanks alot!!!! This is exactly what I am looking for!

meathane

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
u know a little while back, i kinda found out the reverse of what ur looking fro by mistake on my girlfriends iBook.

if u rest two fingers on the touch pad, then click the button, it control clicks! she may have iScroll installed, it may be that, but i dont think so

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
meathane said:
u know a little while back, i kinda found out the reverse of what ur looking fro by mistake on my girlfriends iBook.

if u rest two fingers on the touch pad, then click the button, it control clicks! she may have iScroll installed, it may be that, but i dont think so

thats one of the main reasons i like iscroll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.