Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jray21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Ok, for the past 5 days I have been trying to get my External HD to be recognized by PS3. I finally had success. First, the HD needs to be formated for FAT32. Sounds easy, but... If you erase the HD, and format it to MS-DOS(FAT), it will still not work on your PS3 unless you also create and format a partition. In all, you have to format it twice, once as an entire drive, and than again as a partition. It may work if you just do step 3 and on as steps 1-2 might not be needed but I didn't want to take any chances. I also tried it on VISTA OS, no surprise its even worse, and you could only do it for 32gb or less. I have over 100gb on my PS3 so that will not work. There are some programs for Windows XP, but trying to use it with boot camp was too much trouble. So, this is how I did it.

1. Open Macintosh HD-->Applications-->Utilities-->Disk Utility

2. I recommend erasing the drive so you start fresh, and have the most space available. I erased it and formatted it to MS-DOS(FAT).

3. Now here comes the important part. You must now select "Partition". Under "volume scheme" I created 1 partition (It included my entire drive of 1tb), and formated it as MS-DOS (FAT). Under "Options" it was "Master Boot Record". I then clicked Apply.

4. As it is, you can only use the disk for PS3 Backup Utility. To use it as an external drive to store info, you must create folders for the following, case sensative: VIDEO, MUSIC, PHOTO, and GAME DATA

I have not added the folders as I only used it to backup my PS3 in preparation to install a new internal PS3 Drive, so I do not know if the video, music etc. folders work. I hope this helps someone. It took me forever to figure out because all the other posts I read on different sites did not mention creating a single partition of MS-DOS(FAT), they just said erase and format the drive to it.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
This is a great help, thx. I've been wanting to upgrade my PS3's internal drive (actually just entertaining the thought till now) and your post just made my mind up for me. That 60 GB drive is just too puny...

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Would just like to thank you again for this thread. I just upgraded my PS3's internal HDD from the stock Seagate 60 GB to a WD 500 GB. Used your guide to format an external 250 GB drive to back up the PS3 before installing the new one, and restored all the information from it to the new drive. The only issue I had was that they screwed the PS3's HDD into the caddy so tight, I stripped a screw getting it out... Anywho, thanks again and I hope your swap was as seamless mine.

onit

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2005
Thanks

Just want to add my thanks. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out a way to make my usb drive readable on my PS3.

vargatoncsi

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2009
Need help please... i am bold already... seriously

I followed jray21 steps up until 4.
I have a Mac --- formatted in fat the new 320 gb WD hdd, partitioned and formated the created partition again in fat and did a back up of the 40gb original HD system core on it.
And then i replaced the 40 gb with the 320 gb and nothing. PS# gives me an advice to press controll and start at the same time to find some... file

asking for a firmware 2.6 or later (downloaded it put it on a stick) and plugged it in at the usb but still nothing to start

WHAT am i doing wrong?

please guys, help
Maybe i am a dum-dum .... or justgetting to be one

DoubleUK

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
It works... finally

Thanks very much, jray21 for this post.

I was also looking for a way of making my PS3 recognize my WD hard drive.
But nobody mentioned the 'also partition'-trick.

Thanks! (my PS3 is now making a backup. Hmmmm. ) :)

DoubleUK

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4. As it is, you can only use the disk for PS3 Backup Utility. To use it as an external drive to store info, you must create folders for the following, case sensative: VIDEO, MUSIC, PHOTO, and GAME DATA

I have not added the folders as I only used it to backup my PS3 in preparation to install a new internal PS3 Drive, so I do not know if the video, music etc. folders work. I hope this helps someone. It took me forever to figure out because all the other posts I read on different sites did not mention creating a single partition of MS-DOS(FAT), they just said erase and format the drive to it.

Actually. PS3 makes it very easy for you.

With your external drive (recognised and) connected, under PHOTO, MUSIC and VIDEO in the on-sceen menu appears another icon (USB-device and it's name). After that you can easily copy movies or music or photo's to your hard-drive (for viewing and listening on your Mac for instance) and vice versa. (PS3 creates the various folders for you)
But you can also watch movies (or listen to music) right from the external harddrive without copying to the PS3 first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.