Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
there was a Movie that expressed the culture/lives of mac addicts? Sort of like the Godfather..which expressed mob life (to speak generaly).
It could present to the world how devoute or against the grain apple avid users are? It should obviously be a positive spin but add a very creative touch to it.

I have been thinking about this for some time now. Please tell me if there is already one...so I dont wast my time thinking about this. This is an idea that needs to get off the ground. If any of you agree...how can this be done...if possible? Will it work? Am i silly?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Kinda like Trekkies

I don't know if youve heard of Trekkies but its the same thing but about trekkies. Its a doc and I havent actually seen it, but I want to. I think it sounds like a good idea if it werent as general. It sounds like an interesting idea that I'd like to pursue. Maybe we could all work on it and then produce it as a Macrumors Production or something. Anyway, I'd be interested and have access to various film equipment through friends and school if anything comes of it.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Well yeah...kinda like trekkies....but different of course.

This does not have to go that documentary route that trekkies went. It could be a documentary but more like a narrative documentary. However it could be from any other methods. By watching trekkies you might have got the feeling that these people are crazy and chessy ( not to step on any treks in here or anything, i resepect)...this is what needs to be avoided if possible.
But yeah im glad you are down with the idea. Thanks for offering to help.

stoid

macrumors 601
Hmmmmm

I'd be interested in helping if a project like this ever took off. I'm only a Junior in high school, but I've already done numerous projects, and I have recently purchased FCP3. It worked like a dream for doing a project on the Transcontinental Railroad. It took my quite a while to convince the teacher that I did it and not stole it. I even had some 3D work tossed in that turned out pretty good. Let me know if this idea every takes shape.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
The difficult part, of course, would be to get enough different people in enough different situations that it doesn't start looking Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. As to whether it is do-able, I think it certainly is. As to whether I think you're silly.. well, yes, but that's another story. I think it's a great idea.. and the fact that it would of course be made ON a mac is just icing. Hope you find the time and the means to make a go of it. Maybe if it's short enough you could submit it to Apple and get it played at a Keynote... or at least excerpts from it if it is longer.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
hell....if there were to be such a project...just post it up here....guaranteed to have a few hundred interested people knocking down arn's door to get in...

we could call it "MacRumors.....behind the scenes"....he he he :p

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Well saweet...im glad too see you all agree to such a thing.
Let me get this clear though...Im in no way able to do this on my own of course...hell Im not even a director or a film editor...i have fooled around with both though. Im merely thorwing such an idea out to test the waters/ get some responses and or have someone else take the helm at it.
So how would one officially go about the initial creation of such a project..by the way?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Starting off...

As for you (krossfyter) not being an editor or director. I have absolutely no problems with editing. That's what I'm in school for and I wish I had more projects to work on, the more you do the better you get. As for directing, it doesnt need to be just one person. If we did this moslty with people from Macrumors there would need to be lots of mailing (electronic and snail). So it could be a collaborative project with many "directors".

What needs to happen first before anything else, is to decide what kind of piece iit is, Doc, narrative, a little of both. Do we follow one character, a group of people, A G4....Basically what's the story that we want to tell? AND how do we want to tell it?

Once we figure that out, along with a group of who wants to work on it we can work on specifics.

HEY KROSSFYTER: Does the title of this thread "What if..." have anything to do with my signature? I was just wondering....

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
hahaha... you guys are great.

heres my thought. follwo the message board. as threads come in and out. watch various posters respond and use the board to move between each persons life.

joe here sitting at work gets the someone responded message stops working reads responds and then through the board to whoever comes next. so sally gets her someone responded message and you see her at school on her ibook doing work, gets her email stops working and reads and responds and off to floid a college student between classes who gets his email... but dont get my wrong the whole thing wouldnt be the board. the board would just be the narrative tool to transition between mac users going about their day in a wintel world. most of the time would be spent on each persons daily routine maybe interviews whatever but just use the board to transition. just a thought, im a scientist not a artist.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Re: Starting off...

Originally posted by teabgs

HEY KROSSFYTER: Does the title of this thread "What if..." have anything to do with my signature? I was just wondering....

hah. cool. never ment that ...sorry. i liked what you said.

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Well, we have the processing power and we have iMovie and Final Cut Pro!

Anyone fancy flying around the world shooting videos of mac users?

Ensign

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I'd love to travel and shoot...

Also, if we are able to get any money we should have a TiBook w/ FCP3 on it to do rough cuts as we shoot...What if Apple helped Produce and we could fly in one of their jets....mmmmm....

Seriously though, There's gotta be someone out there who would at least help out with the project. That is IF it's actually going down. Is everyone really interested? I think it would be a lot of fun and could help get some converts..

STOID: I emailed you, not sure if you got it since you havent replied..I'm emailing you as soon as this post is up so get back to ASAP.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
it could be a cult movie...pardon the pun...but if it was low budget, it would really attract the critics kind of like blair witch project did (done on macs)

mac people are like trekkies and are in computing for the fun, not the recognition or for for the money...it's a great hobby of a relative few, but oh what a few can do when they get together

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
cult movie sounds good. i would suggest for it to be beatnick , artsy...etc. as oppose to comercialized, popy or cheesy...if you catch my drift. it would be essential that it be a very different kind of documentary as oppose to average or standard...being that it deals with against the grain type of people..... just a suggestion thrown out there.

by the way...has anyone seen that cult movie that came out a while back called "slackers"? the director inspired kevin smith....clerks, mall rats... etc.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
The biggest mistake would be to NOT make it a comedy.

We (the Apple devotees) already take ourselves and the Apple a little too seriously. It's the one common weakness of all zealots.

I think there's a lot of humor to be explored in this subculture. It'd be nice to take the piss out of ourselves for once. After disarming the audience with laughter, we can move in on the more endearing parts of Apple Love...

Just a thought (as an actor, filmmaker, and Mac guy)

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by krossfyter

by the way...has anyone seen that cult movie that came out a while back called "slackers"? the director inspired kevin smith....clerks, mall rats... etc.

Havent seen it but have been meaning too for a while. After hearing about Kevin Smith I will definately see it soon. I love him...in a brotherly sort of way.

I agree with the idea of it being cultist but it shoudlnt be too artsy. If it is noone will want to watch it except for a select few. Yes we dont want to be overly commercial and mainstream, but its almost impossible to get an audience or even anyone who is not a die hard mac user to watch it if it's just an artsy flick.

Comedy is VERY good. We can laugh at ourselves and let others into our world and bring them over. I don't want it to seem that im against it being artsy, just that can only be part of it. We can still do it an entirely new way and have it be acceptable to mainstream....this would give more publicity and generate intrest too.

Just some thoughts.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Im down with that without a doubt. Like I said It was just a suggestion nothing concrete. I agree while it should be different it also should have enough in there to be widely acceptable.

dig it.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
What if...

it took place during the week before an Expo, say MWNY02? It'd be funny because everyone would be checking the internet every waking minute that theyre not being forced to do otherwise, and we'd all be in a frenzy with all kinds of rumors.

I mean, I have dreams about this stuff. Is that weird? I had a dream the other night that I got a dual 1ghz and an iPod and everywhere I went people were in awe of my iPod.

One day it will be mine.

side note: this is 100 posts :cool:

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
re: comedy

i think we have lightened up knowing that bill gates won the war on all fronts and we realized that it wasn't our war to fight in the first place

we are a small microcosm that barely exists and all we ask for is a few more percent of the market share while keeping the quality high like usual

if all computers could be macs and they can all be good that would be great, but with any company growing to that level, the quality would go down drastically

so right now, we are looking for modest gains for apple and taking oneself too seriously these days is a waste of energy...let's accept that bill gates has the known market and just enjoy ourselves and make a happy comedy celebrating us for who we are...a fringe group and quite happy to at least be the ones with a quality operating system

bill has the ****ty os and the high tech field is in last place among all industries anyway these days, so no one in the IT field, even the pc users, could sit there and brag about anything

...so in that case, let's just all be happy techies for the sake of being techies and not cry over the fact that the money was in all of our hands (briefly) and slipped out like a bar of soap (we are not the first industry to hit rock bottom in the history of commerce)

a comedy would be perfect!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.