Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
I find this hard to believe. Can anyone confirm the Apple composite video cable does NOT work out of a Classic and the last Dock? :confused:

They might have forgotten to turn on the external video out setting.

No it's true. From the iLounge review:

But it does fail to do something simple and fundamental: unlike the fourth- and fifth-generation iPods, it refuses to output video or photographs to an external TV or other device unless it’s connected to something that contains an Apple authentication chip. That means that our in-car video cable can’t play video from the iPod classic. It also means that our collections of iPod video display docks and wearable video displays do not work with iPod classic. Photo slideshows and video playback alike are constrained by this artificial limitation. In short, Apple has locked away the photo-out feature it introduced in the iPod photo and 4G iPod, as well as the video-out capabilities that it introduced in the 5G iPod, and is now going to make you buy new accessories to replace the ones that worked before.

It goes without saying that Apple need not have done this, and to lock away support for devices that people have been using for two years sets an extremely poor precedent for future iPod accessory support. Why should consumers invest any amount of money in an iPod add-on when there’s a good chance that next year’s model might not work properly with it? Beats us.

Another less important accessory that won’t work is the iPod Camera Connector, which offered snail slow transfers of photographs from a digital camera to the 4G and 5G iPods’ hard drives. This now brings up a screen that says “Unsupported - Accessory is not supported.” Given that the Camera Connector hasn’t been an especially viable transfer solution for the past couple of years, we’re not sad to see it go, but it would be nice to have a faster, better alternative.

This truly sucks. :-(

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Apple Composite Cable Won't Work Either?

Wow! That's pretty harsh. Anyone have the "old" Apple brand composite cable who can confirm the Classic won't play out of it to a video screen with a composite input? I bought the Apple Connection kit for $99 when I got my 5G 60GB original Video iPod. It's already obsolete? That's less than two years ago. I wonder if an engineer made a mistake and they had to produce all these hardware fixes. Or is this Apple's way of shutting out all the old Sony 3 pin composite cable connections?

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
You can read my review of the 80GB Classic here.

PS: I'm totally miffed about the fact that the Classic won't output to the same video cable that my 5th Gen will. Does it still output video via S-Video with the iPod dock? I sure hope so, I just ordered and paid for one from eBay.

PPS: No camera connector compatibility? I was really looking into buying one for my trip to China next August. What's the deal with Apple obsoleting it's products so suddenly?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Why aren't old games compatible with the classic? ...Seems like a slap in the face for anyone who bought a nice collection of games. Plus, it definitely takes away any incentive to buy a classic if your 5th gen is still operational.

brucku

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2003
no one is paying any attention to this

Everyone is talking about video accessories not working, and we know how they are not working - but we don't know WHY.

Isn't it possible that for the first time, ipods will have menus included in the video out? And they blocked all past video outputting devices for competition reasons? I don't know. I'm just guessing - Steve clearly outputted the menus to the presentation crowd, why won't he let us do it at home!!!!!!????

Sandfleaz

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
The Nano seemed squat in the photos I had seen, In person it was much more attractive and pretty cool. Apple will sell a boat load of these this holiday season!

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah I agree, the nanos look SOO much better in person. I was stunned.

Here's a sexy photo on the Apple website...

Attachments

• ipodnano_hero_20070914.jpg
    ipodnano_hero_20070914.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 109

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Yeah, I was amazed at how well you can watch video on the nanos. I thought
"oh, right, watch video on a teeny nano? who's gonna do that?", but I could hold the nano out at arm's length and still see the video just fine. Very watchable, it's awesome.

I don't understand the point of this Apple authentication chip thing though. Are they trying to make it so Apple has to approve all accessories? Are they trying to make it like HDMI where copyright protection is built in? Don't get why this is needed.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
Why aren't old games compatible with the classic? ...Seems like a slap in the face for anyone who bought a nice collection of games. Plus, it definitely takes away any incentive to buy a classic if your 5th gen is still operational.

Different OS inside... You get 'compensated' by the three free on-board games.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
the review for the touch will be up on iLounge soon but they said this on their site

iLounge said:
As a brief note to readers: our iPod touch review could have been online already, but we’re holding it back.

We consider timeliness of our coverage to be imporant, but we consider accuracy to be even more important. It goes without saying that haste is the enemy of certainty.

After years of iPod releases passed without massive media attention, it seems like everyone’s now rushing to be “first” with a “review,” terms which have accordingly all but lost their meaning. What is a “review” if it’s based upon glib comments or little analysis? What does it mean to be “first” if you achieve nothing more than planting a timestamped flag in the ground with little perspective attached? That’s not our style.

So we’re choosing to wait—a little. Our review of iPod touch will likely be one of the most controversial we’ve published, so we’re re-running some tests to make sure we’re being fair. You’ll see the results very soon, and we hope they’ll help you make a more informed decision about whether to buy into this particular iPod, or hold off for next year’s replacement. Stay tuned.

sounds to me like it's gonna get slammed.

bennifer3000

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Honestly, I wasn't exactly won over by the iPod Classic, it seemed clunky. The old scroll-wheel worked much better in my experience.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I get an iPod nano (Black) and let me tell you, I also got a 2nd gen Shuffle, a 1st Gen Nano, a 2nd Gen Nano and now this 3rd Black Gen Nano, all of my other were just part of my Apple Addiction problem (I buy it because Apple made it) but this little one (nano) was the first gadget from Apple that for real invite me to buy it! I mean... I didn't need it, I even got free space on my shuffle for God's sake! and I ended with a brand new Nano just because! for real, apart from the iPhone, the Nano it's a real revolution. A new device. a new era. it's somehow the new begining of post-PC devices as Steve talk about on that interview with B. Gates, I know now where are we going and the nano it's the one who will lead us there... The iPhone will introduce us to a new way of computer interface, I mean, it's just a training device for the new Macs coming ahead... but for the little devices, Nano it's the one who's gonna mark the standard.

StrictlyCircus

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2006
New Jersey
I'm pretty sure that Apple's battery figures are underestimated, so that user expectations 6 months to a year into use are met by their specs. The egeneral public loves to forget that a battery's life will diminish over time.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Well, that's pretty much solved all my problems. I've been dying for a Touch but miffed it doesn't have enough storage to be useful, and I've been debating if I should get a Classic instead. Now I hear the Classic doesn't support the old video connections, and the camera connector doesn't work, and the old games aren't compatible...

At least all the "should I or shouldn't I" stress is gone. The Touch is cool, but has no real utility for me given the storage limit. I'd want the Touch for video, but the 16GB makes pictures and video more of a novelty in the device. I picked up a Classic in the Apple store and really didn't like the feel of it. That metal face doesn't make a nice seam with the chrome back. The display isn't well protected, so just a little push (to see if it was glass or plastic) distorted the LCD, temporarily. I have a video cable, but I don't use it much as it is. The camera connector, however, was a major motivation for wanting the capacity. The 5G was a nice way of carrying my pictures home from vacation until I could get them into my Mac.

The games aren't that big a deal, they're only $5 a pop, but it is a bit of an insult to accompany the injuries...

This "Apple authentication chip" is a mistake, if true. This must be Apple's way of trying to make a buck from each peripheral sold (the chip is essentially a license). It seems every generation of iPod obsoletes any investments you've made in the previous generation. I'd seen the dock connector as an assurance that they'd finally standardized, but alas. I don't think I like the new Apple much-- the get our hands on every possible revenue stream Apple. I think the short term greed is going to hurt them in the long term by neutralizing all of the good will that their pro-consumer, not your typical company, image of the past has brought them.

The only item that saves me from complete disillusionment is the new Nano. Got a red one for my wife and it's beautiful. It's small and thin, that display is fantastic, and the click wheel is much better than the one on my 5G. I have to agree with everyone else that the pictures we've seen do the Nano a severe injustice.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
I have to agree with the previous posters. I sure don't need a nano, but it is amazing in person. It is so small and thin. The touch is also thin and a beautiful piece of electronic art.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
There is also a brewhaha going on in the Linux world. Apple has checksumed their database on the new iPods so if anything touches it the iPod shows 0 songs. So all the third party tools on Linux have been rendered for crap. And it also means that you are computely stuck with using iTunes for the iPod. Forget about any other software.
Between this and the chip that ID's iPod accessories I'm really getting irked with Apple's over the top daconian efforts on the iPod front. Lately they are making Microsoft look like Saints.
icon_confused.gif

Again as I said before. Apple is just another company trying to make as much money is possible. Which is fine. However you don't need to kick your customers in the crotch while doing it.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
the review for the touch will be up on iLounge soon but they said this on their site
sounds to me like it's gonna get slammed.
It's up now, and I must say, I'm very disappointed with iLounge. It's very apparent that their near-entirely negavitve iPod touch review is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

They're complaining about such things as no microphone ...why would a microphone on an iPod make any sense? :confused:

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
There is also a brewhaha going on in the Linux world. Apple has checksumed their database on the new iPods so if anything touches it the iPod shows 0 songs. So all the third party tools on Linux have been rendered for crap. And it also means that you are computely stuck with using iTunes for the iPod. Forget about any other software.
Between this and the chip that ID's iPod accessories I'm really getting irked with Apple's over the top daconian efforts on the iPod front. Lately they are making Microsoft look like Saints.
icon_confused.gif

Again as I said before. Apple is just another company trying to make as much money is possible. Which is fine. However you don't need to kick your customers in the crotch while doing it.

I imagine this also means that anyone that likes to use iPod Copy will no longer be able to use this on the new iPods. I've found this program very useful when I lost files on my computer, but the songs in my iPod were not purchases that could be reverse synced into iTunes. Needless to say, my 5.5G 80GB iPod will be in service for a very very long time.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
This "Apple authentication chip" is a mistake, if true. This must be Apple's way of trying to make a buck from each peripheral sold (the chip is essentially a license).

It's possibly an attempt to appease the big studios - probably, in order for Apple to approve any new video output accessory to receive such an "authentication chip", the accessory will have to add macrovision or some other such measure (such as HDCP if digital video output for iPod ever appears) to prevent video piracy.

Maybe that would convince more studios to sign on to the idea of selling their wares through iTunes. Maybe it might even overcome the regulatory hurdles of allowing movie sales in foreign countries with different copyright requirements than the USA.

Apple just released a redesigned "Universal Dock" with a horizontal instead of circular window for the Apple Remote receiver. Can anybody confirm that the old "Universal Dock" has also fallen victim to this planned obsolescence?

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
It's up now, and I must say, I'm very disappointed with iLounge. It's very apparent that their near-entirely negavitve iPod touch review is nothing more than a publicity stunt.

They're complaining about such things as no microphone ...why would a microphone on an iPod make any sense? :confused:

Because a microphone would have been a handy thing to have on a general-purpose device with WiFi and 3rd-party apps. It's clear that the iPod Touch is envisioned as becoming more than what we currently think of as "just an iPod" - otherwise, why marginalize the iPod Classic, which should be all you need in a "just an iPod" device.

Prior to the 5G iPod, it was possible to plug a microphone into the iPod's headphone jack and, with appropriate 3rd-party software, record sound.

The 5G iPod has a line-in channel in the Dock Connector. With any luck, the iPod Touch also allows that feature, and accessories will be available soon which make that particular complaint moot.

JobsRules

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
I just got the iPod Classic 160GB, my first iPod - although my wife has the 3G 20GB.

I love it. The sound quality seems better than the older iPod, I MAY watch the odd movie on it and with 160GB it'll be useful as a portable storage drive as well as a big depository for my masses of music.

I'm not a bit fan of 'do everything' gadgets. My mobile phone's a £19.95 text-n-talk cheapy.

I want a good-sounding, big capacity music player. That's the iPod Classic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.