Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
It's highly possible but keep in mind, even though FaceTime is strictly wifi, it is not based on usernames. You still use phone numbers to establish a link between two devices. I wonder how that will work with the iPad?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Not very likely -- for all the reasons front/rear cameras don't make practical sense on the iPad.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not very likely -- for all the reasons front/rear cameras don't make practical sense on the iPad.

I find (and have found in the past) comments like this "silly." There's nothing impractical about having a front facing camera on the iPad. And having used the iPad since launch day in the US - I can say with 100 percent conviction that if it had one, there'd be no one saying it SHOULDN'T have one. Whether or not you would USE it is another matter.

But like with anything - you would learn how to hold the ipad or put it on a stand when conducting video chats.

You might as well say you can't type one handed with the iPad. Or some other thing that takes figuring out the best way to get what you want done with it.

ukyo229

Jan 27, 2010
I find (and have found in the past) comments like this "silly." There's nothing impractical about having a front facing camera on the iPad. And having used the iPad since launch day in the US - I can say with 100 percent conviction that if it had one, there'd be no one saying it SHOULDN'T have one. Whether or not you would USE it is another matter.

But like with anything - you would learn how to hold the ipad or put it on a stand when conducting video chats.

You might as well say you can't type one handed with the iPad. Or some other thing that takes figuring out the best way to get what you want done with it.

You spit on the guys comment, and say...

There's nothing impractical about having a front facing camera on the iPad.

and then contradict your own statement with....

Whether or not you would USE it is another matter.

Awwww man. I so have a good remark, but the moderators will just send me my 100th warning :(

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008

Awwww man. I so have a good remark, but the moderators will just send me my 100th warning :(

His comment was somewhat polite and thoughtful, people can have their own opinions and debate them.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm sure we'll eventually see it, just a matter of whether it's in iPad 2, 3, 4 or 5.

In 5 years we'll be able to see the other side of the call live in like 4000 x 3000 resolution at 60 fps on our iPad version 5s. :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Oh. Please. Entertain us.

The OP I was quoting made a general statement. Not a personal one. I countered that they might not use the feature - but that doesn't make it impractical. I made no contradiction. I also didn't "spit" on the other guy's opinion.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Well, if you'd need to put it in a stand to use it for video chat then that's 1 point in favor of impracticality. The iPad is not a communication device, just like it's not an iPod. Yes, I've dangled a cord out of my briefcase to listen to music on my iPad when my iPhone battery was low, but I don't expect to make a habit of it.

There are doubtless many things that an iPad can do that are suboptimal, just as reading a book on my iPhone for 2-3 hours may also be suboptimal. You can do it, but it doesn't make it a good idea.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008

How does it not make practical sense? I for one would love a forward facing camera on the ipad for video chat purposes. I don't think the ipad needs a rear camera but a front one would be good.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Well, if you'd need to put it in a stand to use it for video chat then that's 1 point in favor of impracticality. The iPad is not a communication device, just like it's not an iPod. Yes, I've dangled a cord out of my briefcase to listen to music on my iPad when my iPhone battery was low, but I don't expect to make a habit of it.

There are doubtless many things that an iPad can do that are suboptimal, just as reading a book on my iPhone for 2-3 hours may also be suboptimal. You can do it, but it doesn't make it a good idea.

Ok.. But to type a lot, you need to use a bluetooth keyboard. They sell a stand to hold the iPad for this reason. That doesn't make typing (essays) impractical.

Just an example.

ukyo229

Jan 27, 2010
Oh. Please. Entertain us.

The OP I was quoting made a general statement. Not a personal one. I countered that they might not use the feature - but that doesn't make it impractical. I made no contradiction. I also didn't "spit" on the other guy's opinion.

I find (and have found in the past) comments like this "silly."

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Speaking of which - would you (iPad owners) recommend I purchase the iPad now or wait for the next one? The question is entirely opinion based and here are a few things which will allow you to give you me your honest opinion:
1. I plan to use it for college as most sites are posted on Sakai and do not use Flash
2. I plan to browse the web a lot and since Apple believes only in HTML5 most sites will be there soon as they consider Apple as God of tech.
3. I plan to watch a lot of movies and music (unless on itouch).
4. IF there is a camera which supports Gmail video chat I will use that to a very high extent as hours of my day are passed on Gmail vid.

Thanks for the inputs.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I find (and have found in the past) comments like this "silly."

that, to you, equates to spitting on the OP? And where's the contradiction? The OP and I had an exchange. And a mutual understanding and respect.

I'm not sure what you're bringing to the conversation except to try and stir up something that doesn't exist.

AppEzzy

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
I would use a front facing camera on the iPad all the time. Would replace Skype on my mbp. Hopefully if just a few key apps come out for the iPad I can permanently ditch the laptop

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
It's highly possible but keep in mind, even though FaceTime is strictly wifi, it is not based on usernames. You still use phone numbers to establish a link between two devices. I wonder how that will work with the iPad?
The phone numbers are just a front for a unique hardware ID in the switchboard. There's nothing special that needs to be done to enable IDs for Wifi-only iPads. They could be translated into "phone numbers" or any other ID type as needed. 3G iPads of course have an assigned number already.
I find (and have found in the past) comments like this "silly." There's nothing impractical about having a front facing camera on the iPad.
Actually, there's quite a bit that's impractical about it. The reason cell phone videochat sort of works (and just sort of) is because of the close distance of the camera from the screen center, and the close distance from the face. Even still you get some distortion.

A notebook or desktop setup helps with the distortion immensely since the perpendiculars line up, the camera is fixed, and the longer focal length results in a more reasonable angle, but the trade is the eye contact problem and the perspective differential because of the large separation between the camera and screen center.

A tablet, on the other hand, unites the worst of both and the advantages of neither.
And having used the iPad since launch day in the US - I can say with 100 percent conviction that if it had one, there'd be no one saying it SHOULDN'T have one.
Handheld video chatting, like "3D" television, is nothing more than a gimmick in its current state. Better to wait until the technology is actually there to do it right. Put the CCD layered in with the screen center and we'll talk.

This is exactly like trying to pull off the iPhone with a non-multi-touch resistive digitizer and an LCD from 1999. It just wouldn't be there.

The point of video chat is to have a face-to-face conversation and you can't do that effectively yet with consumer devices. It's just a phone call with a video stream like you're watching your friend through the ATM camera at the bank.

FaceTime is almost there on a 3-3.5" screen in your hand (and great at a full arm's length, if you're willing to deal with the postage-stamp screen at that distance), but certainly not a 10" screen at 12-20".

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
He did spit on the guys comments. I personally would have s***ed on his comments. The guy said it was impractical! WTF?!! how is it impractical. As I'm writing this, I can imagine a camera staring me dead in the face. If the second gen doesn't have a front facing camera, I will be highly disappointed. Actually, if it doesnt have both a front and rear facing camera, I'm boycotting.

The rear camera will allow users to use to the iPad as not only a still camera but a great video camera with studio to edit the videos. The screen real estate is pointless if you don't use the features you have created for it. To this day, we are still videoing with huge cameras. The iPad is no different.

I look at it like this. The iPhone is a test device. Many of it's features are really meant for the iPad even though they are designed for the iPhone. There's no reason that from here on out, we shouldn't expect iPhone features on next generation ipads.

Can't you just imagine what iMovie would be like on iPad. It won't bother me at all holding the iPad up at a family reunion, using it as a video camera. Many say that it's a silly idea, but like anything else, you adapt to it. After a while, it doesn't feel weird. Plus it can't be too silly because competitors will do it.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
The phone numbers are just a front for a unique hardware ID in the switchboard. There's nothing special that needs to be done to enable IDs for Wifi-only iPads. They could be translated into "phone numbers" or any other ID type as needed. 3G iPads of course have an assigned number already.

Actually, there's quite a bit that's impractical about it. The reason cell phone videochat sort of works (and just sort of) is because of the close distance of the camera from the screen center, and the close distance from the face. Even still you get some distortion.

A notebook or desktop setup helps with the distortion immensely since the perpendiculars line up, the camera is fixed, and the longer focal length results in a more reasonable angle, but the trade is the eye contact problem and the perspective differential because of the large separation between the camera and screen center.

A tablet, on the other hand, unites the worst of both and the advantages of neither.

Handheld video chatting, like "3D" television, is nothing more than a gimmick in its current state. Better to wait until the technology is actually there to do it right. Put the CCD layered in with the screen center and we'll talk.

This is exactly like trying to pull off the iPhone with a non-multi-touch resistive digitizer and an LCD from 1999. It just wouldn't be there.

The point of video chat is to have a face-to-face conversation and you can't do that effectively yet with consumer devices. It's just a phone call with a video stream like you're watching your friend through the ATM camera at the bank.

FaceTime is almost there on a 3-3.5" screen in your hand (and great at a full arm's length, if you're willing to deal with the postage-stamp screen at that distance), but certainly not a 10" screen at 12-20".

But does the actual face have to fill up the entire iPad screen like the iPhone. Why not set it up so it only takes up 3.5" on the iPad with the rest of the screen designated for something else during the call. Is this possible?

Streethawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2010
Manchester, UK

I dont think you're right there, as FaceTime appears to use the whole iPhone 4 screen the video stream is going to be of a resolution that will use 2/3 of the iPad screen, in fact video of that quality will easily upscale to full screen and still look quite good. Its better then SD, if just slightly lower than 720p HD.

mattkidd

macrumors regular
Hmmm i have my suspicions, i can definatley see a form of conference coming to the iPad however im still debating how Apple would implement it, makes sense seeing as its currently only via Wifi, so im guessing it shouldn't be a too difficult thing to do? or if its the 3G iPad maybe its more possible? Im not too sure, but i can see it coming. As Apple said iOs.4 isnt coming to the iPad until the fall :confused: Does this mean Apple are just taking their time or are they working on something big for the iPad? It seems quite some time to make it OS4 compatible.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Just because something is practical doesn't mean you have to use it. Kind of like your post and common sense. ziiiiing!!! :D

Semdk

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
"Apple will ship tens of millions of FaceTime devices this year so there's going to be a lot of people to talk to."

What does that mean? selling a lot of iPhones? Making a FaceTime certification, so other smartphone platforms like Android could communicate with the iPhone 4? New upcoming Apple devices with FaceTime? - iPad, iPod Touch?

So technically, they could add the FaceTime feature on the iPad 3G right now (if Apple of cause added a front facing camera), as it has an phone-ID with its micro sim? Couldn't they do this in any other way, without the phone-ID, so that all devices with a front facing camera+mic+speaker could do this? I mean iPod Touches, Android phones, Nokia phones, normal desktop computers, laptops.

Maybe Apple could expand their iChat App, by combining it with FaceTime and Skype? They could make an awesome chat system, which really would revolutionize the way we communicate.

.. and one more thing (my favorite S. Jobs comment) ... Do you think Apple will give the iPad an 128GB capacity at the next Sept. iPod event?

UPDATE:
I just saw this article about Skype/FaceTime at Engadget.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/08/skype-eager-to-work-with-apple-facetime-pretty-much-anyone-else/

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007

However being the iPad has no front facing camera makes viewing pron while typing one handed more practical.

spiralynth

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
However being the iPad has no front facing camera makes viewing pron while typing one handed more practical.

Wut R U talking about? The Pad already has a front facing cam. You just have to look at little hard.

Anyway, adding a "web-cam" type of accessory to the existing Pad wouldn't be too difficult. In fact these cats have already done it.

There's also chatter about the ability to integrate your iPhone as a cam for your Pad. Think Scrabble.

PhotoFast_iPad_camera_large.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.