Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skh

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I've recently purchased an EyeTV HD, and am currently waiting for it to arrive.

However, after doing some thinking, being able to connect an xbox 360 in order to play it on my mac (I have an iMac 27 quad and 30" ACD) would be nice.

Elgato's site says something like "there may be some delay that could make gaming difficult"

After quite a bit of searching, I was only able to find actual real-life tests people had done from the eyeTV hybrid.

My question is: is there ANYONE out there that's tried xbox360 on the EyeTV HD? Or am I going to have to go through the process of returning, and spending more money for the gefen gtv-hidefs.

Thanks.

BUST3R K

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
Don't waste your time or money!

I just got done going through one trip to Best Buy, two trips to the Apple store and 3 calls to Elgato Tech Support. End result: XBOX 360 doesn't work with Elgato EyeTV HD.

Here's how I set it up:

XBOX 360 ---> Component Cables RGB+RW (Switched to HDTV on XBOX connector) --> EyeTV HD ---> USB 2.0 --> iMac (White Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM and Mac OS 10.6.5) with installed EyeTV Software version 3.5.1

I ran the setup assistant, plugged the EyeTV in when it asked for it, and even though I only got a blue screen that said "NO SIGNAL" it said that set up was successful.

I called tech support and they said that I needed to download the latest version of the software from the site itself and not run instant update from an older version. I deleted the version installed from the install disk (even the preference files) and downloaded the newest version available from elgato.com: NO SIGNAL

I bought new XBOX 360 component cables and started the whole process again: NO SIGNAL

After call #2 to tech support I was told that it must be a faulty EyeTV HD box and I need to exchange it. New box: NO SIGNAL (with both old and new component cables).

Call 3 to Elgato tech support: They walked me through every little detail, step by step with them doing the same thing on the other end but with a PS3 and still: NO SIGNAL.

They think it might be something to do with the TV/HDTV switch on the connector of the component cable itself that is the problem.

*Strangely, if I switch the component cable over to "TV" the EyeTV recognizes that signal (4:3 in 480p), even though it is set up with RGB and not the Yellow Composite connector...

In short, if you want to capture in HD from your XBOX 360, don't buy the Elgato EyeTV HD

Can Someone please tell me what else I can use to capture in HD on my Mac from my XBOX 360 that actually works?

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I just got done going through one trip to Best Buy, two trips to the Apple store and 3 calls to Elgato Tech Support. End result: XBOX 360 doesn't work with Elgato EyeTV HD.

Here's how I set it up:

XBOX 360 ---> Component Cables RGB+RW (Switched to HDTV on XBOX connector) --> EyeTV HD ---> USB 2.0 --> iMac (White Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM and Mac OS 10.6.5) with installed EyeTV Software version 3.5.1

I ran the setup assistant, plugged the EyeTV in when it asked for it, and even though I only got a blue screen that said "NO SIGNAL" it said that set up was successful.

I called tech support and they said that I needed to download the latest version of the software from the site itself and not run instant update from an older version. I deleted the version installed from the install disk (even the preference files) and downloaded the newest version available from elgato.com: NO SIGNAL

I bought new XBOX 360 component cables and started the whole process again: NO SIGNAL

After call #2 to tech support I was told that it must be a faulty EyeTV HD box and I need to exchange it. New box: NO SIGNAL (with both old and new component cables).

Call 3 to Elgato tech support: They walked me through every little detail, step by step with them doing the same thing on the other end but with a PS3 and still: NO SIGNAL.

They think it might be something to do with the TV/HDTV switch on the connector of the component cable itself that is the problem.

*Strangely, if I switch the component cable over to "TV" the EyeTV recognizes that signal (4:3 in 480p), even though it is set up with RGB and not the Yellow Composite connector...

In short, if you want to capture in HD from your XBOX 360, don't buy the Elgato EyeTV HD

Can Someone please tell me what else I can use to capture in HD on my Mac from my XBOX 360 that actually works?

Looking at the Elgato myself and doing a little research. I suspect, hopefully, that you've discovered a solution to your problems by now but if not, the solution according to this Youtube vid is to set it to 720p on the console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otnGPP0RndQ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.