Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
The magic year has almost run out, and so I wonder whether I should buy applecare for my lamp or not. After I'd had it for a week it died and the logicboard was replaced. Since then, I've had no problems what so ever.
It seems like a lot of money to spend on "peace of mind" but what if...????? :eek:
Any stories out there about how applecare saved your lives? or didn´t?

-Squirrel

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
If you pay the $170 (cheaper other places online, do a search), you will probably never need it. If you don't, something bad will happen. Murphy's Law. It's up to you.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
My last iMac G4 (before I got the iMac G5) had to be repaired within weeks after the 1yr warranty ended.....luckily I bought the AppleCare warranty right before the year was up. The SuperDrive had to be replaced and the LCD screen had to be replaced d/t heating up and warping.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
Hmmm guess that leaves me pretty much where I started :confused:
I think I'll buy applecare just to make sure I won't need it :rolleyes:

-Squirrel

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
PickledSquirrel said:
Hmmm guess that leaves me pretty much where I started :confused:
I think I'll buy applecare just to make sure I won't need it :rolleyes:

-Squirrel

IMHO you are making a very wise decision. Peace of mind is a very valuable commodity. You just never know when it might be needed.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You can get AppleCare for iMac for $149 at Amazon. I plan on buying it for my iMac G5 before the warranty expires.

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
Get it if you can afford it. Then you won't have to worry about it for another two years. Even if you never use it, think of it as contributing to your favorite company ;)

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
My friends 15" Ti 1ghz SuperDrive (over 1 year old) has started to devolp signs of logic board problems according to apple. The problem is something called horizontal ___(sorry can't remember)____ where occationaly the wierd horizontal fuzzy lines show up on the display. Fourtunatly she bought extended apple care coverage so she can get the problem fixed.

I would reccomend it just to be safe.

Also in all the movie where the people rent cars and decide not to get insurance something always happens to it.

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2003
Aarhus, DK
Just went an got meself some half-pricey peace of mind. I now rest assured that nothin will happen to my iMac. (if I hadn't bought ot, the thing would have been bound to explode within a month of warranty run-out :eek:)

-squirrel

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I think Applecare is one of the top questions people ask around here. I go back and forth for my PB... I only paid $1300 something for my 12" PB.... I'm not sure I want to spend $350 to buy Applecare... It seems like the most probable thing to happen is physical damage (as in a drop), which Applecare doesn't cover.

Having the logic board replaced already does make one nervous. The iMac's Applecare doesn't seem that pricey either. I'd say you made a good call.

kbettimac

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2005
Apple Care is definitely worth it

The logicboard on my iMac G4 needed to be replaced three months after tbe warranty expired. Without Apple Care, I would have shelled out about $450 for the replacement logicboard and labor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.