Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Then you aren't looking far enough.:) There is a package of the other tools available for download (currently from the Developer site, but eventually available to the public like the Snow Leopard Server tools are). See an earlier post by me for links.

thanks for the reply talmy - i have just purchased the mac dev account 2 days ago, so it is all very new to me trying to find these things. thanks for the info! :)

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
@Dave Hagan
Any chance you could expand on your comment regarding the removal of Domain controller functionality in Lion Server?
This is my primary concern. I need to be able to allow windows7 machine to access my primarily mac based network running off a mac server.

Sorry about the delayed response, I don't come by this way often. Apple in its infinite wisdom has removed Samba from OS X, therefore there is no longer a Primary Domain Controller aspect to Lion Server.

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I feel for people trying to use this in enterprise settings. I'm lucky that it has all I need for home use, probably their target audience now.

I've got a temporary Lion Server install (posting from it now) and my SL Server is still running, so it's easy to do an A-B comparison.

Server Admin lists the following services in SLS which are not in Lion Server. Remnants noted:

Address Book (in Server.app, but no options. Does it use SSL?)
AFP (in Server.app, seems to have less flexibility)
FTP - no server in Lion client either.
iCal (in Server.app, but no options)
iChat (in Server.app, don't know the limitations)
Mail (in Server.app, seems limited to one domain)
Mobile Access (I don't know what this is, never used it)
MySQL Missing
NFS Missing
Print Print server missing
Push Notification -- seems missing although I thought that was an advertised feature.
QuickTime Streaming missing
SMB No Samba, SMB limited to creating file shares. Limitation of Lion client as well.
VPN in Server.app, simplified
Web in Server.app, simplified

huntson

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
You think someone could post a link to a fileshare, megaupload, etc link of the Lion Server Tools for those of us who don't have a dev account?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.