Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Hello, I Googled on how to change Apple ID, and I did change it, since I don't want to be my Gmail account my Apple ID anymore but my @me.com account.

So, when I go to "Manage Account" and I change my ID, this is what comes up:

"You cannot create an Apple ID using a MobileMe account. If this is your email address, it is also your Apple ID."

I tried logging in iTunes with my ME account and it did work but once logged in, it displays the GMAIL account. How do I change so that my ME account will be my primary, not just connected?

Dave Felix

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2011
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Hello, I Googled on how to change Apple ID, and I did change it, since I don't want to be my Gmail account my Apple ID anymore but my @me.com account.

So, when I go to "Manage Account" and I change my ID, this is what comes up:

"You cannot create an Apple ID using a MobileMe account. If this is your email address, it is also your Apple ID."

I tried logging in iTunes with my ME account and it did work but once logged in, it displays the GMAIL account. How do I change so that my ME account will be my primary, not just connected?

Same here. I want to stop using my gmail account and start using my college and iCloud email only. But I fear if I won't be able to change it.

vdoc

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
I am wanting to do the same thing. I don't like how gmail does not play well with Apple mail and want to rid myself of gmail entirely and move all of my personal email to .me but it won't let me

kong85

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
Singapore
I'm also wanting to do the same thing.

My @me.com account has automatically been added as my 'alternate' email, so I CAN actually use that to log in to apple services using that address (instead of my gmail). Being OCD though, I want to make it my primary email and get rid of gmail all together.

Hopefully there is a way!

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Sorry everyone. You cannot change your existing AppleID to use a me.com address.

When a me.com address is created, it already is an AppleID, and you can't change your current account to use an email that is already in use as an AppleID.

Read the front page. There's a story with a nice big thread attached of people griping about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.