Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Good day,

I have just returned my e13ctron hybrid after seeing to much of a signal reduction do to it.

My wife and I are very upset and are looking for some alternatives.

I was wondering if any one who has a Vapor Comp and do a field test with and with out the case for me.

Open dial pad.
Type *3001#12345#*
you will be in field mode this mode will give you a numerical value for your signal. (you can also tap on the value and it will swap to bars if you want to get an idea on how many bars are value)​

A full bar would be -80
A Low/No signal would be around -110

My e13ctron case I was getting -82 with out the case and -107 with it. Also I am with ATT. I've done test with both of my phones side by side same results

Edited: this is with the iPhone 4s
Thanks.

Last edited:

benjayman2

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Chicago
Was this with a 4 or a 4s? I have had similar results with my 4 so I returned it as well have not tried it with my 4s since I no longer have one.

lehman310

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
It works on my Sprint 4S fine. I ordered a Vapor Comp on saturday but it has yet to ship. I will be sure to run these test once I get the case because I am interested in the results myself.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Hmm...OP, I'm typing in exactly what you said to, but for the life of me I can't get the signal bars to change to numeric. 4S here as well. Odd.

Humm. I just checked it again and works for me.
You did press the call button after typing it in?

Also will not work if you add it as a contact.

----------

It works on my Sprint 4S fine. I ordered a Vapor Comp on saturday but it has yet to ship. I will be sure to run these test once I get the case because I am interested in the results myself.

Thanks a lot lehman310.
I need two order 3 so want to make sure its not as bad as the e13ctron i just returned.

lehman310

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
Humm. I just checked it again and works for me.
You did press the call button after typing it in?

Also will not work if you add it as a contact.

----------

Thanks a lot lehman310.
I need two order 3 so want to make sure its not as bad as the e13ctron i just returned.

No problem, I will do it the day I get the case. I like the look of an aluminum case but I am not willing to sacrifice signal so I am hoping that the Comp works well.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
i will offer more input on this thread when i get home.

i have a 64gb white 4s, and the silver vapor comp.

Gonz19

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
These are the results of Vapor Comp on IP4.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    59.4 KB · Views: 97

Dyspareunia

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Southern California
Good day,

I have just returned my e13ctron hybrid after seeing to much of a signal reduction do to it.

My wife and I are very upset and are looking for some alternatives.

I was wondering if any one who has a Vapor Comp and do a field test with and with out the case for me.

Open dial pad.
Type *3001#12345#*
you will be in field mode this mode will give you a numerical value for your signal. (you can also tap on the value and it will swap to bars if you want to get an idea on how many bars are value)​

A full bar would be -80
A Low/No signal would be around -110

My e13ctron case I was getting -82 with out the case and -107 with it. Also I am with ATT. I've done test with both of my phones side by side same results

Edited: this is with the iPhone 4s
Thanks.

It's a shame the e13ctron case didn't work for you! I suspect in all honesty that it is perhaps something involving the GSM model's antenna or AT&T's signal (or lack thereof) or just the area that you are in. The reason I say this is I used to have AT&T for my iPhone 4 and gave up on AT&T due to the ever degrading level of signal strength in my area, so I made a reluctant, yet beneficial switch over to Verizon this time around for the iPhone 4S.

I own an old e13ctron NON-hybrid/full aluminum GSM case, which completely fits the 4S, but the mute switch cut out isn't properly aligned due to the mild 4S redesign. After reading your frustration, I decided to do a quick test on my Verizon 4S with the e13ctron case. There was like a loss of 4-5, nothing so drastic as to give up on the case, in my opinion. I know when me and my wife had our e13trons on our AT&T 4s there was a slight signal drop, but nothing that couldn't be attributed to AT&T's inferior signal quality here. I'm just saying that my mini-test seems to imply that if the provider's signal is good enough, the case's impact would be minimally noticeable.

I'll supply screenshots, but basically without the case in it naked glory, I had a signal strength of -92 and with the full aluminum case on the signal went to -96 and -97.

Screenshots:

dsc00547q.jpg

dsc00548j.jpg

dsc00550y.jpg

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Dyspareunia

Thanks for the info that 5 degration isn't so bad but the 25 I was getting on a hybrid case is to much

Also for those posting signal number please post naked then with case.
It's hard to relate with just with the number with the case on

Need to know what the normal signal is before hand so we can factor each persons degration effect with the case.

Will also be nice to see the comparisons between carriers since each run on separate signal ranges.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Any more Data guys,

Looking at pulling the trigger here on 3.

Would really like someone with AT&T to supply numbers with there iPhone 4s Comp case on and off.

Thanks...

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Any more Data guys,

Looking at pulling the trigger here on 3.

Would really like someone with AT&T to supply numbers with there iPhone 4s Comp case on and off.

Thanks...

I think it looks cheap - go with the vapor pro spectra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.