Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...While I do not have any particular need for this program, I will definitely speak up for the quality of Marcels' stuff - Tinker Tool and its big brother Tinker Tool System are great pieces of software...I much prefer Tinker Tool System over Cocktail, Onyx, or any of the other similar utilities....and his Hardware Monitor program is another almost-essential tool for your utilities folder......oh yeah!

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Sounds like one of the new features already in Tiger:
"Battery System Menu
Easily change power management settings directly from the system menu."

Kind of expensive also. You can pretty much do the same thing with simple apple scripts.

Tom P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
I myself love this utility, I don't want to keep my iMac G5's processor on high when I don't need to. There is a 20 + deg F difference if I do. You are pushing too high of heat already in an iMac G5, you don't need to BAKE your mid-plane. Plus, in the summer you will be outputting 500 less Btu's per minute into your room. That makes a difference in a room that faces the sun all day. As for price, what is it in US dollars?

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Tom P said:
As for price, what is it in US dollars?

according to http://www.xe.com and the current exchange rate. It will cost 11.13 if the VAT is included. $9.60 without VAT. For that price I can live without it for now; just like SideTrack.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Tom P said:
I myself love this utility, I don't want to keep my iMac G5's processor on high when I don't need to. There is a 20 + deg F difference if I do. You are pushing too high of heat already in an iMac G5, you don't need to BAKE your mid-plane. Plus, in the summer you will be outputting 500 less Btu's per minute into your room. That makes a difference in a room that faces the sun all day. As for price, what is it in US dollars?

Heh,

During the end of winter, running SETI on a few of my comptuers in my small computer room, I was able to turn off the heat for a weekend while working on a project, and having the comptuers dump out heat into the room.

Needless to say it does get hot in the summer with the same computers running. I will have to try this utility, and the built in function of the G5 power management to see if I can keep my room cooler in the summer.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
mad jew said:
Yeah same here. Is there software that lets you over-clock though, or is that just a figment of my vivid imagination? :(

Unlikely. The G5's clock management and setup is pretty freaking complex (IBM's G5 based stuff uses a separate processor just to handle setting the G5 up so that it can start). Not something I can imagine software being able to tweak.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
This is exactly what I need! I always switch between reduced and highest on my PB because when I run SETI on highest it gets too hot but on reduced with the laptop cooler its not bad.

**edit**
I downloaded it and found out that it will only run for 5 min and then close if you don't pay for it...so I got rid of it lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.