Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alpha male

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hi,

I recently purchased a late-2011 17" MBP and decided to install windows 7. However, because I don't have any blank discs or external hard drives with me, I had to install Windows 7 and then install boot camp drivers in Windows with my 10.6 Snow Leopard disc (that came with my late-2009 iMac).

However, even though I installed those drivers, the drivers don't seem to be working because the ethernet, wireless, those fn keys, and 1920x1200 resolution doesnt work.

Can I download the new drivers via Boot Camp into my iPhone, and then install them on to my Windows?

Or can I just download the new drivers onto my windows partition, boot into windows, and then install them?

Why does Apple have to make this so complicated? Back then when I installed Windows 7 onto my SL with the mac osx disc, it was very smooth and easy. :(

Thanks!

Last edited:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Why does Apple have to make this so complicated? !

You are using boot camp drivers from an old version of OSX - that's why you were having problems. You can just download the correct drivers onto a USB thumb drive and boot into windows and install it. Either that or use a blank CD/DVD

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Who the heck downvoted pdjudd? His answer was correct.

Alpha male, all you need is a Thumbdrive, CD, DVD or whatever. Run the Boot Camp Assistant and then copy the drivers over to it. You could try using your iPhone, but unless its jailbroken I don't think it supports copying files (USB mass storage mode).

Alpha male

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Did none of you read the topic title at all?

I said installing windows 7 without using a blank disc or an external drive.

Anyways, I successfully did it by downloading boot camp drivers in OSX and moved them over to the Windows partition in Windows and installed, without using a blank disc or external hard drive in the entire process.

Next time open your eyes.

goldhunter

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
Did none of you read the topic title at all?

I said installing windows 7 without using a blank disc or an external drive.

Anyways, I successfully did it by downloading boot camp drivers in OSX and moved them over to the Windows partition in Windows and installed, without using a blank disc or external hard drive in the entire process.

Next time open your eyes.

Could you kindly tell me how you did it, because i'm struggling to find a way to install windows 8 on bootcamp since i don't have a blank disc nor a external HD.

Thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.