Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unixperience

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
it's like the name says. Since there is an hdmi port and two thunderbolts, does that mean i could drive 3 displays? Currently I use 3 but two are usb-dvi and can't handle fast action or video, any thoughts on the new rmbp?

and if you were crazy and got tb displays, could you drive 4 tb displays, and one hdmi??

I feel like the size of the built in display alone would take up a lot of video processing power besides adding multiple screens

unixperience

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
well after soem closer reading i came across this

" Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors"

so probably not 3 external. but there MAY be wiggle room, like running three if you use it in clamshell, or if they aren't the full 2560x1600.... but maybe not.

shin3314

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
i think the key to making this work in win 7 is if we are able to get optimus work in windows 7 as nvidia only allows up to 2 external monitor?However if we disable the notebook monitor, we might be able to do 3x external monitor.

skiffx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
since it has usb3, u will be able to buy those usb>dvi just like u have now but w usb3 support which will enable u to have more monitors without usb2 lag...

shin3314

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
well i was thinking of driving 2x 2560x1600 monitor which would require active adapter and 2 usb port. Does anyone knows if i use a usb hud, does it have enough power to drive the active adapter?

Septic

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
shin3314: you could drive the active adapter over the display-usb-hub itself, as it usually powers the ports

as for 3 Displays - I would assume, you could drive 3, if the internal display is off - the new 6xx cards should support it

you could propably even drive 7 displays if you're using TripleHead

shin3314

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Well,im using 30inch Apple cinema display so im not sure if the active minidp-dl adapter is long enough to connect to the acd usb port.Using USB to dvi/hdmi adapter would used up the processing speed though, Any idea if i can use usb dock to power up usb device (in this case the active adapter) ?

unixperience

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Well,im using 30inch Apple cinema display so im not sure if the active minidp-dl adapter is long enough to connect to the acd usb port.Using USB to dvi/hdmi adapter would used up the processing speed though, Any idea if i can use usb dock to power up usb device (in this case the active adapter) ?

most hubs only power devices when your computer no longer can. Say for instance you have 3 flash drives plugged in, typically, a computer can power all of these (not those cruzers thats for sure, can't even power two) and the power isn't drawn from the hub. But once you exceed the computers 500mA limit thats when the power comes into play, or at least that is how mine seems to work. In addition hubs do not provide power unless they are plugged into a comp, so dont think you can just plug them into a powered hub with no plug and they will work. usb wall chargers would provide that capability
The dual link dvi adapter doesn't use usb for processing, it is ONLY for power, so it would not slow down the processor

and to others, although the USB3 would be much faster and may even play video fine, these solutions use up CPU, not GPU. The GPU stays alot cooler under loads than the CPU does. in addition those usb converters have problems with some applications. windows don't update, for instance you can click buttons but the picture wont change, however as soon as you drag it to another screen you can see the changes DID register. just a werd annoyance, in addition they don't take screen shots (this is only in os-x though, these problems dont exist in windows). in addition vms that boot off bootcamp partitions have TONS of problems with the usb monitor, as in blue screen and can corrupt entire partition. id much prefer native

thanks for all your opinions though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.