Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bimfi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Summerville, SC
I am a long-time PC user and have decided to migrate over to the iMac. The main reason for this is video editing. I have recently read blogs from last year that the "New" Final Cut Pro X was a "dumbed down" version of the professional FCP 7 and drew a LOT of complaints from users. Today I walked into an Apple store and asked about the FCP X complaints. I was told that Apple listened to the complaints and "resmarted" or put back in those portions of the software that they previously removed. Does anyone know how true this is? I am not a professional videographer, so I don't know if I would need everything that was in FCP 7. As a beginner video compiler/editor, would the FCP X be enough for my beginning needs? I have used Pinnacle Studio Ultimate v11 on my PC. Would FCP X provide better options? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 28, 2010
located
FCP X is a new application from the ground up and has left out some tools many editors needed, like EDL support, multi-cam support, audio output support and many others (you can read about them if you do a quick www search or look at Larry Jordan's blog).
Since its release Apple put some effort into bringing those needed function back into FCP X.

But if you are only a hobbyist, FCP X might be quite alright with you, it is a very good application once one gets his or her head around it, it just is not the same as a traditional editing application like Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro 7 and earlier.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
As already mentioned, it seems like you're the target user for FCPX. You can always try the 30 day trial before you buy.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily take the word of an Apple store employee regarding the issues and complaints from FCP users. I would guess that not many of them would really understand or have experience with the issues discussed.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
My take on FCP X is for a beginner your going to transition much more quickly to an intermediate to advanced editing then in most other pro editors. I have Adobe Premiere Elements and that is still quite confusing and never really ended up using it.

In 4-6 weeks I was already going to an advanced stage.

Most of the requested features were put back in, with more coming this fall or winter like advanced audio editing.

I like FCP X the fact that you can do basic editing right away with the advanced features hidden and out of the way until you need them.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Final Cut Pro X is a great advanced program that can be quickly learned. Like transitioning from iMovie to Final Cut X would take you roughly two weeks with everyday use to get the basics down. There's more in depth stuff that would require more time to learn.

stix666

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2005
I think FCPX is a brilliant brilliant program. I used FCP7 previously, but am not a film/ video professional. I haven't used CS6 but have used previous versions of premiere.

The reason it is brilliant is the way it makes you think about clips as part of the editing process. As you ingest and preview your footage, you can assign (multiple) keywords to clips or portions of clips. This makes it very easy to browse for the right clip when editing.

Trackless editing seems mentally very challenging when you first start using it. Once you free yourself of all the behaviours associated with traditional editing, it becomes easy and seamless. Along with skimming, keywords and realtime effect previews, it makes editing a breeze.

If you are editing for broadcast, I suspect FCPx will be much more difficult to incorporate into your workflow. If you are collaborating with other professionals (audio, colorist etc), it seems limited compared to Premiere, Avid and FCP7. But if you don't have those needs, I would say go for it.

I also have iMovie which absolutely sucks compared to FCPx. It is far more than just 'iMovie pro'.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I would absolutely suggest FCX for you, OP.

I could write a long article about all the legitimate reasons professionals won't love it (we switched from FCP 7 to Adobe Premiere here at work) but I'm having a hard time thinking of any reasons that would apply to you.

(The biggest one I can think of right now is that it's more geared towards cameras that use memory chips and hard drives. Not so much ones that use tape. But chances are you're shooting on a memory chip, right? If so, then this isn't a problem for you either.)

And for what it's worth, I use FCX at home and actually kind of like it. It's not up to par for professional use yet, but I like where they're going with it. I've switched to it for my personal home projects.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
If you want to become a mac man, I'd absolutely recommend it, but don't feel obligated because of your interest in video editing. Gone are the days where you had to get a mac/FCP if you wanted to get semi-serious or advance your interest in video.

Having said that, FCP X is great and you'll probably have a lot of fun with it. It has a pretty easy/intuitive learning curve and is just plain cool to use. Adobe Premiere Pro is also a really strong option that's not hard to learn, and makes transitioning to after effects or more advanced video techniques a bit more harmonious. That and you don't have to jump ship on your OS or current PC.

If you're looking for something new, planning to (or already have) switch to Mac regardless, and just have hobby/pass-time aspirations in mind(not that it isn't capable of more - it certainly is), FCP X would be a great (and cheap) choice for you. If you think you might be interested in making a career out of it, I would just start with the Adobe camp and dig in.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Lot's of great advise here and also look on YouTube for some stuff on FCPX. I have mentioned this in another thread, I looked all over YT to get a good idea if this would be a way to go and as mentioned, Larry Jordan, check him out on YT for info for free before you buy.

Keep in mind, there are great amounts of plug-ins for FCPX and the like that can help or aid for certain things which I had not thought about since I moved from iMovie which there maybe some plug-ins but I'm not sure about that.

Good luck and enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.