Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Sorry to say, but I have joined the dark side, and my S3 is due to be shipped today.

One of my main fears about going Android is that it essentially renders my Apple TV absolutely useless.

Plex
BBC iPlayer
ITV Player
Sky Go

None of these will work on the Apple TV without AirPlay* - but I'm wondering if there is any way around this? Of course it could be easily fixed by Apple simply letting people develop for it like they have their other devices, but alas, it's just yet another thing that makes me want to move away from this ecosystem.

* Plex is the only exception; but it's not supported, and they haven't got it working properly with iOS 5 yet, let alone the imminent iOS 6 release

testerdennis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Sorry to say, but I have joined the dark side, and my S3 is due to be shipped today.

One of my main fears about going Android is that it essentially renders my Apple TV absolutely useless.

Plex
BBC iPlayer
ITV Player
Sky Go

None of these will work on the Apple TV without AirPlay* - but I'm wondering if there is any way around this? Of course it could be easily fixed by Apple simply letting people develop for it like they have their other devices, but alas, it's just yet another thing that makes me want to move away from this ecosystem.

* Plex is the only exception; but it's not supported, and they haven't got it working properly with iOS 5 yet, let alone the imminent iOS 6 release[/QUOTE

There is an app called iMediashare that works.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Damn, got my hopes up when I saw that... unfortunately it doesn't support any of the sources I want :(

No Plex, iPlayer, ITV Player or Sky Go...

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
Why buy an android if you rely on airplay?

Doubletwist can airplay mp3's and some video formats, not sure if it has been updated to support streaming sources.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Is the VHS thing all over again. They didn't have the best technology but it was EVERYWHERE so if u stick with Unix --because it's superior-- then good luck finding all the app u need.

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Wow this site gets worse by the day !!! The OP was just asking for some help he doesn't need your narrow minded opinions, now back to class recess is over.

----------

I thought Portuguese people were better than that.

there is no "portuguese" people. i'm a person of this world, just like you.

like i said earlier (and my post was removed) there's no logical reason at this point for the OP to have bought that piece of plastic. i don't hate him or anything, of course, but it's nice to see what happened.

it's not my fault that he does not have the necessary knowledge, good taste or even common sense to buy computing devices.

if he asked earlier i would've helped him.

good riddance.

testerdennis

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
there is no "portuguese" people. i'm a person of this world, just like you.

like i said earlier (and my post was removed) there's no logical reason at this point for the OP to have bought that piece of plastic. i don't hate him or anything, of course, but it's nice to see what happened.

it's not my fault that he does not have the necessary knowledge, good taste or even common sense to buy computing devices.

if he asked earlier i would've helped him.

good riddance.

Good people of the world do not wish bad things on others because they don't agree with everything you believe in.

You take care and I hope people don't wish bad things on you because of your choices in life.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Wow this site gets worse by the day !!! The OP was just asking for some help he doesn't need your narrow minded opinions, now back to class recess is over.

His original first post and my reply were deleted, looks as if he's carrying on with childish behaviour.

Just accept that someone is getting a different phone, maybe in hindsight the OP might have looked into the subject first. He didn't, it looks as if he can't do what he wants - which is unfortunate.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
To my knowledge airplay requires a piece of hardware, so it'll never be able to be on Android.

Now, that may be Airplay Mirroring not just regular Airplay. Its why older Macs can't do Airplay Mirroring with Mountain Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.