Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
Hi MR Neighbors,

I am having a problem with my Macbook Pro where it will randomly shut down while on battery power. No low-battery warning, no nothing, just dead. Subsequent attempts to turn the computer back on result in the classic Apple "chime," but the computer never gets to its gray screen. The situation is alleviated by plugging in the power connector, as long as the power connector is plugged in.

Pertinent info:

• I recently upgraded to 10.8 Mountain Lion. After these random shutdowns began, I downgraded to 10.6.8 from a backup, but the problem wasn't fixed.
  • My battery is a NuPower replacement battery. The problem doesn't occur on my old Apple battery (which doesn't hold much charge, but at least gets to the end of its charge like normal)
  • This is a Macbook Pro 3,1 (2007)
  • I've tried resetting the SMC and PRAM but these haven't fixed it.

If anyone's had any similar problems or has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them. Unfortunately I am outside of my 1-year warranty on the NuPower battery, and well outside my Apple warranty.

Thanks!

bachelorbob

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
Suddenly having the same problem on my MBP 5,3 running OS X.8.2. Only recent system change was the Supplemental Update (OS X.8.2.?). Did a System Management Controller (SMC) reset. Issue persists.

Always got the 'System is now running on reserve power' warning before. Since the shutdown is abrupt, I have no idea what battery % level it's happening near. Will try the battery calibration (fully charge; run to sleep; drain another 2 hours; fully recharge) since a Google search isn't suggesting any other options.

Did you ever find a resolution?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Will try the battery calibration (fully charge; run to sleep; drain another 2 hours; fully recharge)
That is not the proper procedure for calibrating a battery, and the built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

Take your Mac to Apple and have them test to see if your battery is defective. Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery health and cycles.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
[*]My battery is a NuPower replacement battery. The problem doesn't occur on my old Apple battery (which doesn't hold much charge, but at least gets to the end of its charge like normal)

Based on the fact it does not do it with the old battery and does do it with the new one, I would say the NUPower battery is no good. Some of the after market batteries out there are a little cheesy. You might be better off springing for an official Apple battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.