Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Ever since upgrading to 10.8.2 text replacement is broken in Safari.

To confirm this go to a website where you can enter text (like this forum).

Make sure edit/substitutions/text replacement is checked in Safari.

Make sure you have some auto-replace text in system preferences/language and text. In the box on the left add "i" and tell it to substitute it for "I".

Now in Safari start typing away. In your sentence enter the letter i and it should replace to the letter I, but as you continue to type the curser jumps back a few words.

It never used to happen before 10.8.2

colloc

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Ever since upgrading to 10.8.2 text replacement is broken in Safari.

To confirm this go to a website where you can enter text (like this forum).

Make sure edit/substitutions/text replacement is checked in Safari.

Make sure you have some auto-replace text in system preferences/language and text. In the box on the left add "i" and tell it to substitute it for "I".

Now in Safari start typing away. In your sentence enter the letter i and it should replace to the letter I, but as you continue to type the curser jumps back a few words.

It never used to happen before 10.8.2

Strange, it works fine for me. Do you want to capture it in a video so we can see how you had the problem?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
OK. Here is a video of the bug. Look what happens to the cursor when I type the letter "i". You can see it jumps back into the text after it has used text replacement.

If I turn text replacement off, all is good.

I have 6 Macs here. Some Mac Pros, some iMacs and some Macbook Airs and they all do it since 10.8.2 was installed a couple of days ago.

1st video is the settings.
2nd is the bug.

Attachments

• Bug.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 82

colloc

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
OK. Here is a video of the bug. Look what happens to the cursor when I type the letter "i". You can see it jumps back into the text after it has used text replacement.

If I turn text replacement off, all is good.

I have 6 Macs here. Some Mac Pros, some iMacs and some Macbook Airs and they all do it since 10.8.2 was installed a couple of days ago.

1st video is the settings.
2nd is the bug.

Confirmed! It's the same on mine. Haha funny how the cursor jumps backward. I presume if you don't replace "i" with "I" then the bug doesn't happen? Probably have to wait till there's a fix by Apple

jtrwallace

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
I have the same issue!

This is maddening. I thought for sure I had some extension causing this but you guys think it is just with 10.8.2? Every time I have a substitution, after the next word I type the cursor jumps to the beginning of that next word. I then have to do command + right arrow to get to the correct cursor position. It drives me crazy.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
On our 5 macs here it has worked perfectly for years. Then when the 10.8.2 upgrade came out it broke on every machine.

Tomn94

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
Same here !

And you don't know how it's annoying especially when you're French … :)
I had the habit not to type any accent (café, voilà, …), to type quotation marks " (they're replaced by French ones «» or English ones “” depending) and to make some mistakes obviously.
I've got also many shortcuts like : rdv = rendez-vous/min = minutes/fb = Facebook/cmd+ = ⌘/…, set in OS X System Preferences.
Now I've disabled everything since the curser goes back few letters before or even disappear. The replacement system is also slowed/laggy.
I don't remember if it has started since 10.8.2 or 10.8, perhaps 10.8.2.

Hoping it'll be soon fixed (like the transparent Dock issue, they're my only complaint about Mountain Lion).

divincem

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2009
I am just glad you figured out that text replacement is the issue so I can turn it off and not loose my mind. I was opening Text Edit and typing in there and copy paste into Safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.