Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-SGP-iPhone-Protective-Armor/dp/B00DD62R40

I found this interesting case in SPIGEN's Amazon store. Supposedly, it's thinner than the original version. Here's the description:

The Slim Armor S is a dual layered protective case with the combination of TPU and polycarbonate. The Slim Armor S is specifically designed to protect the device at all angles. The case is slimmer than the previous version but more protective with advanced shock absorption technology. It is perfect for highlighting the original design of the iPhone 5. The phone stays slim and comfortable in the hand. Enjoy your iPhone 5 as it was designed.

SPIGEN never ceases to amaze me with their releases. This case has a lot of potential. I wonder how much slimmer it actually is.

MLAM

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
Proving these images are accurate it will give an idea

Slim Armor
717NI8-PhgL._SL1000_.jpg

Slim Armor S
61lc8F6u1TL._SL1000_.jpg

I hope it will be the same if not better than the SwitchEasy Tones, if it is then I'm going to get one

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Looking at the pictures, it does look slimmer. You can tell by the camera hole and the angle of the chamfer edge around the back of the phone.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
I used the slim armor case for a couple months and noticed signal loss. I didn't know how that was possible but it was happening. I put on my original incipio kicksnap case and had better service/signal strength.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
I was lucky enough to get one of these off eBay for £5 and love it.

The only fault i have is it sits pretty flush with the front of the phone. I wouldn't want to drop it face down that's for sure.

Its also not that tight of a fit as it feels like if you did drop it the phone would bounce out of the case.

Haven't dropped the phone yet (and hopefully wont) so dont know for sure if what i've stated would actually happen but IMO......it would :(

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

The only fault i have is it sits pretty flush with the front of the phone. I wouldn't want to drop it face down that's for sure.

Its also not that tight of a fit as it feels like if you did drop it the phone would bounce out of the case.

Haven't dropped the phone yet (and hopefully wont) so dont know for sure if what i've stated would actually happen but IMO......it would :(

S or pre-S?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012

That sounds cheap. Too good to be true cheap. Maybe you got a knockoff.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I just caved.

Also have an S coming for 24th. Amazon Prime

Will compare to my slightly scratched up pre-S.

Best case scenario. Front lip for glass is a hair thicker (it looks it in photos). Rear is much thinner. Not holding my breathe.

futurefortress

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
I just caved.

Best case scenario. Front lip for glass is a hair thicker (it looks it in photos). Rear is much thinner. Not holding my breathe.

Please post pics here, I want the case but not sure if I want to pay $25 for small revisions..

Also did anyone notice that it says "Compatible with All versions of iPhone 5 (2012) / iPhone 5S (2013)"?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Please post pics here, I want the case but not sure if I want to pay $25 for small revisions..

Also did anyone notice that it says "Compatible with All versions of iPhone 5 (2012) / iPhone 5S (2013)"?

It's a guess.

But it's possible... iPhone 5S if it's launched in September... has already started production. So *some people* somewhere are in the know.

Bamff

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013
I'm using the Pre S and like the look of the new S. My question is, and like everyone that owns one and is planning on getting one is would the polycarbonate back scratch as easily as the PreS?
If it were to, I don't think it's worth it

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I have a Neo Hybrid on the way, but if this case is indeed slim, I will have to add it to my collection!

vong

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
Let us know which one is better! Slim Armor S or Neo Hybrid. When my Magpul case goes to the crappers I'll be switching to one of those two.

MLAM

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
I just caved.

I look forward to your pictures and thoughts :)

Looking at some of the details it says this about the front lip

0.8mm lip to protect the screen when the phone is face down

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I just caved.

Correction, 23rd, today, this evening. Just got shipping update.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Aha well atleast you have it and the delivery guy actually posted it.

What case are you using at the moment? Slim Armor?
I dipped home for lunch.

It's not perceptibly thinner. Maybe with a caliper.
There is no more lip on the front glass.
The audio holes on the bottom still don't line up.

The polycarbonate shell is 2-3mm taller, so it is not cross compatible with the pre-S Slim Armor.

The black aperture piece around the camera is shinier, and has a shallower angle.

MLAM

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
United Kingdom
I dipped home for lunch.

It's not perceptibly thinner. Maybe with a caliper.
There is no more lip on the front glass.
The audio holes on the bottom still don't line up.

The polycarbonate shell is 2-3mm taller, so it is not cross compatible with the pre-S Slim Armor.

The black aperture piece around the camera is shinier, and has a shallower angle.
Appreciate you nipping home for Lunch to have a look.

A bit of a shame to hear that it isn't much thinner, then again I never have used the Slim Armor case.

I guess the design limits to what they can do in terms of slimness, if it was along the lines of the Neo Hybrid I think it would have been a winner.

Would you recommend people to buy it or better off getting a Neo Hybrid?

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Appreciate you nipping home for Lunch to have a look.

A bit of a shame to hear that it isn't much thinner, then again I never have used the Slim Armor case.

I guess the design limits to what they can do in terms of slimness, if it was along the lines of the Neo Hybrid I think it would have been a winner.

Would you recommend people to buy it or better off getting a Neo Hybrid?

Haven't seen Neo Hybrid.

I think this new one has less lip. When set it down, soft sound if rubber for old slim armor. New one has a hard tink of glass touching table.

ebu8uju8.jpg

umezeve4.jpg

You can just make out how much thinner it is there in second photo. New on left, old on right. L O L

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.