Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Hi all,

After I updated my iPad 4's OS to 7.1, I've started to have a weird problem related to the animations when the reduce motion setting is enabled.

The app switcher animations are gone. Whenever I use the 4-finger gesture to open up the app switcher (I'm referring to the the screen that lets me switch between the apps that are currently open), the device freezes for 1-2 seconds and then the app switcher suddenly pops up, without any animation. After it is opened, the touch input doesn't work for another second. The same thing happens when I select an app from the switcher to open it. It simply waits idle, then opens the app suddenly without animations, after which the screen becomes unresponsive to touch input for about a second. As far as I know, the correct behaviour in those cases in iOS 7.1 is fading in and out and the screen should have been responsive the second the animations are done.

Have anyone experienced this? I've seen only a few people mention this problem on the web, so I'm guessing that this doesn't happen to everyone, even though I have no idea why. My iPad is not jailbroken and I didn't have any problems with it until now.

I hope that Apple can find a solution to this because it seems like a bug to me.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Hi all,

After I updated my iPad 4's OS to 7.1, I've started to have a weird problem related to the animations when the reduce motion setting is enabled.

The app switcher animations are gone. Whenever I use the 4-finger gesture to open up the app switcher (I'm referring to the the screen that lets me switch between the apps that are currently open), the device freezes for 1-2 seconds and then the app switcher suddenly pops up, without any animation. After it is opened, the touch input doesn't work for another second. The same thing happens when I select an app from the switcher to open it. It simply waits idle, then opens the app suddenly without animations, after which the screen becomes unresponsive to touch input for about a second. As far as I know, the correct behaviour in those cases in iOS 7.1 is fading in and out and the screen should have been responsive the second the animations are done.

Have anyone experienced this? I've seen only a few people mention this problem on the web, so I'm guessing that this doesn't happen to everyone, even though I have no idea why. My iPad is not jailbroken and I didn't have any problems with it until now.

I hope that Apple can find a solution to this because it seems like a bug to me.

If you haven't already tried it, do a hard reset and if that doesn't fix the problem, take it to Apple. That's definitely not normal.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Reduce motion setting turns off the animations. So you will get a "fade" now not the zoom in/out. That it by design.

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Reduce motion setting turns off the animations. So you will get a "fade" now not the zoom in/out. That it by design.

I've already stated in my message above that I'm aware of that fact. There isn't any kind of animation on my device. Neither zoom in/out nor fade in/out. It just "jumps" from one screen to another after 1-2 seconds of freezing.

----------

If you haven't already tried it, do a hard reset and if that doesn't fix the problem, take it to Apple. That's definitely not normal.

Yeah, I agree that it is not normal. As far as I understand from the other posts in the web, this problem only happens in iPad 4.

Unfortunately hard reset didn't solve anything. How can I let Apple know? Is there a link to send bug reports or something?

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
I've already stated in my message above that I'm aware of that fact. There isn't any kind of animation on my device. Neither zoom in/out nor fade in/out. It just "jumps" from one screen to another after 1-2 seconds of freezing.

----------

Yeah, I agree that it is not normal. As far as I understand from the other posts in the web, this problem only happens in iPad 4.

Unfortunately hard reset didn't solve anything. How can I let Apple know? Is there a link to send bug reports or something?

Same issue on iPad 2. Instead of the fade-animation, there is a short freeze resulting in an unanimated "hard" switch.

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Same issue on iPad 2. Instead of the fade-animation, there is a short freeze resulting in an unanimated "hard" switch.

Ok then the problem is not iPad 4 only.

I'm having a hard time understanding how can the exactly same OS behave differently on devices having the exactly same hardware.:confused:

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I'm having a hard time understanding how can the exactly same OS behave differently on devices having the exactly same hardware.:confused:

Not all phones act the same (when given software). Same with human cells. Not all of them act the same way. There has been research (the last 3 years) that states that cells use proteins (which is how they react to a situation) in a random manner. So for instance, in the case of the Pelagia noctiluca (Glowing Jelly fish), the cells of the creature will react differently; with some of them lighting up, and some of them not.

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Not all phones act the same (when given software). Same with human cells. Not all of them act the same way. There has been research (the last 3 years) that states that cells use proteins (which is how they react to a situation) in a random manner. So for instance, in the case of the Pelagia noctiluca (Glowing Jelly fish), the cells of the creature will react differently; with some of them lighting up, and some of them not.

Of course all phones act the same, as long as they work properly that is. What I said was just rhetorical. They either have a bug in the update process, or they have a bug in 7.1 that makes the animations depend on something irrelevant on the system, or perhaps on some combination of settings and that's why it only happens in some devices.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Of course all phones act the same, as long as they work properly that is. What I said was just rhetorical. They either have a bug in the update process, or they have a bug in 7.1 that makes the animations depend on something irrelevant on the system, or perhaps on some combination of settings and that's why it only happens in some devices.

Aw come on man, don't go crushing my metaphorical comparison like that :)

Haha but yeah, pretty much.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Maybe I misread your post, but according to the 7.1 update change log this is on purpose, not a bug.

"- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations "

So when reduce motion is turned on, there will be zero animations.

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Maybe I misread your post, but according to the 7.1 update change log this is on purpose, not a bug.

"- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations "

So when reduce motion is turned on, there will be zero animations.

No, it is a bug. As stated by me and others several times above, the multitasking UI animations are changed to fade in/out from zoom in/out just like the other ones were. They would never make any kind of transition with "zero animations" on purpose.

I've already seen it work correctly on other devices. It should fade in/out, but instead jumps with no animation on my device.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
No, it is a bug. As stated by me and others several times above, the multitasking UI animations are changed to fade in/out from zoom in/out just like the other ones were. They would never make any kind of transition with "zero animations" on purpose.

I've already seen it work correctly on other devices. It should fade in/out, but instead jumps with no animation on my device.

Okay, my bad. All 5 iOS devices in my household do it the same way with jumping not fading in/out so I figured it was by design.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Okay, my bad. All 5 iOS devices in my household do it the same way with jumping not fading in/out so I figured it was by design.

Lmao. That sucks man. Mine definitely fades even on 7.1 (I tested it). They appear slowly and disappear slowly. That's the animation. There is no sudden jerk with new windows or apps

CutterSlade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey

All 5 devices? Yeah that definitely sucks man:(

I've already reported this bug to Apple. I think you should too. The more people reports it, the higher the chance we getting rid of this bug.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
All 5 devices? Yeah that definitely sucks man:(

I've already reported this bug to Apple. I think you should too. The more people reports it, the higher the chance we getting rid of this bug.

I've gotten to the point where I keep reduce motion off because of the changes made is 7.0.3/7.04 with the removal of folder animations. It just didn't seem right having the fade in/out versus the movement.

But yes, I will definitely report the issue.

Last edited:

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012

Please list which specific iOS devices do this (no animation/2 second delay/jump) response when entering/exiting the multi-tasking/app switching mode.

----------

Lmao. That sucks man. Mine definitely fades even on 7.1 (I tested it). They appear slowly and disappear slowly. That's the animation. There is no sudden jerk with new windows or apps

Which specific iOS device do you own that still has a fade animation effect when entering/exiting the multi-tasking/app switching mode while "Reduce Motion" is set to ON using iOS 7.1 ?

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
Same issue on iPad 3. Apple really ruined ipad 3 experience with ios 7.1 for me. :( too laggy and buggy. Yes, I did a clean install.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014

drugs are bad

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
Could someone with iPad 2, 3, or 4 who upgraded to iOS 8 check if this missing animation bug is fixed? I know that iOS 8 is laggy, but my iPad 3 is already pretty laggy on iOS 7.1.2, but if I want to use reduce motion option to reduce the animation lag, on 7.1.2, the missing animation in app switcher is annoying. But I'm wondering if I upgrade to iOS 8, the animation bug is fixed? If so, I'm just going to upgrade cause I can have proper fade animations.

Please someone reply..thanks.

Lusitano

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2014
Could someone with iPad 2, 3, or 4 who upgraded to iOS 8 check if this missing animation bug is fixed? I know that iOS 8 is laggy, but my iPad 3 is already pretty laggy on iOS 7.1.2, but if I want to use reduce motion option to reduce the animation lag, on 7.1.2, the missing animation in app switcher is annoying. But I'm wondering if I upgrade to iOS 8, the animation bug is fixed? If so, I'm just going to upgrade cause I can have proper fade animations.

Please someone reply..thanks.

Hello. I have updated to iOS 8 on my iPad 4 and The problem continues... Ridiculous

chrisworld

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
Hello, you're not alone. Just today I finally updated my iPad 3rd Generation. (Retina Display, 30-pin). This bug has not been fixed as of iOS 8.0.2.

I remember last year updating to iOS 7 on my 4s and having to use this same feature, however the dissolve/fade animations were very fluid and functional on everything. I have a 6 now so that doesn't matter. With the iPad however, it's the same issue you describe. The fade animation is fine on everything, except when going to the app switcher. It literally breaks the Apple experience.

In iOS 7, I didn't have to do this because the iPad 3 seemed to handle the normal animations just fine. However not in iOS 8, the animations are beyond choppy enough to destroy the Apple experience, and the reduce motion bug places myself and other older device owners in a real rock and a hard place. Do we keep the laggy and choppy animations that slow the system down, or accept the one single bug with one (rather important) feature?

If this is fixed I may very well not have an issue from here on out until I upgrade to a newer iPad.

Sadly, being a very long time Apple consumer I am not surprised (and neither should you be) with what I am about to say - I am fine with leaving out features on old devices, but totally ruining a device's performance instantly after a new OS comes out is probably the worst part of being an Apple product owner.

I even hopped back into iBooks, which performed fine on iOS 7, to find that school books I have in PDF format render VERY slow and are blank when changing pages for a good 1-3 seconds. This is also highly unacceptable in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.