Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Quietly admitting errors in judgement would probably be preferable to losing customers. Jonathon Ive's UI designs have generally been very bad, IMHO. He needs to stick with static objects like iMac cases.

Yeah that's why Apple is selling more iPhones than ever before, because everyone thinks iOS UI is bad. Any one who thinks Ive alone is responsible for UI design at Apple is clueless. Yes the buck stops with him but one person alone is not responsible for software design.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
"Apple wants to make the best, not the most"

– reportedly often said by the CEO.

… Apple is selling more iPhones than ever …

– maybe not consistent with the stated desire to make the best.

The best is not necessarily the most popular

Thoughts?

Please

Think first of Yosemite for Mac hardware, then of other operating systems for desktop and notebook computers.

(Arguments along the lines of "Mac UI should look more like iPad UI" have been made, and countered, more than often enough. A Mac is neither an iPad nor an iPhone.)

Last edited:

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
"Apple wants to make the best, not the most"

– reportedly often said by the CEO.

– maybe not consistent with the stated desire to make the best.

The best is not necessarily the most popular

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
… Apple is selling more iPhones than ever …

That was Apple's argument when Apple had a tiny market share, the best selling car was the Ford Fiesta, Mercedes Benz had 5% market share. Which one do you want?

I think old Mac users want the best, the new Apple Fan wants the most popular.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Yosemite is gorgeous and a refreshing, modern change. You're in the minority.

This post had 81 well-deserved up votes already, here's one more!

My favourite new feature is that the window control buttons now are flat and without that incredibly tacky 3D effect.

Yosemite + iOS 8 are about to tip me over the edge of going back to Mac for the first time in I don't even know how long.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I treat the number of votes as unimportant because "Apple wants to make the best, not the most".

Right, good for you! However it does not necessarily follow that the best cannot also be the most popular. In any case, what I said was simply that I agreed with that post, the many up votes were not the point.

A better place to discuss only the beauty of Yosemite:

Yosemite is Beautiful

A better place to discuss iOS:

iOS

Thank you kindly for the redirect, but I think my two very brief statements about why I like Yosemite only go to explain the reason for my posting and thus seem to be quite appropriately placed in this thread. :)

----------

Are Apple's flattened close, minimise and full-screen window buttons more modern than things in, say, the time of Leopard?

Yes, the aqua-style window buttons looked dated already when they first appeared.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… the best selling car was the Ford Fiesta, Mercedes Benz had 5% market share. Which one do you want?

I'll post under The Car Thread ... !

I think … the new Apple Fan wants the most popular.

There's some truth in that. However, I'm wary of generalisations … I wouldn't like to guess the percentage of Apple fans who (a) consider their fanaticism to be newer than mine or (b) consciously prefer popularity to goodness.

Also, parallel to new 'Apple fans', there are 'new Apple' fans. For anyone who defines the new Apple as being the company under Cook:
– more there later.

… A better place to discuss only the beauty of Yosemite:

Yosemite is Beautiful

… Are Apple's flattened close, minimise and full-screen window buttons more modern than things in, say, the time of Leopard?

… Yes, the aqua-style window buttons looked dated already when they first appeared.

If those flattened buttons are more modern than things in, say, the time of Leopard, then how do you explain the appearance of that 'modern' design before Leopard? What's your definition of modern?

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, the aqua-style window buttons looked dated already when they first appeared.

Looking at it with today's standards, yes. But back then ? Not to my experience. People were looking at Mac OS X screens in apple demo stores with amazement. Although the first versions where too slow, they were a feast for the eyes.

But, anyway, as far as it concerns the UI fashion, terms like "modern" and "dated" are only temporary ones. The UI fashion is doing circles. So now is the flat style, soon we'll move to something else and so on. Eventually, we'll be back to something rounded and glossy that we'll once more call "modern".

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
This post had 81 well-deserved up votes already, here's one more!

My favourite new feature is that the window control buttons now are flat and without that incredibly tacky 3D effect.

Yosemite + iOS 8 are about to tip me over the edge of going back to Mac for the first time in I don't even know how long.

And how many down votes would it have had if they would allow down votes? Votes on here mean NOTHING anymore since it's a one-sided joke of a system now.

TheBSDGuy

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
The only reason "things look modern" with Yosemite is because people are being told "things look modern with Yosemite."

...it's incredible.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
The only reason "things look modern" with Yosemite is because people are being told "things look modern with Yosemite."

...it's incredible.

You're right, its an old idea. Windows 3.1 was flat, but we were incapable of otherwise.

The "new" flat was started by Microsoft and replicated by the PC vendors a few years ago. I know because I worked for a large PC builder, whom I cannot name, and we changed all our web sites to the flat look about the time we dumped Flash for HTML5. I thought it looked like crap then also.

So its the new, old, not really new look!

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Feels like Apple's flat is flat for the sake of it.
"Let's strip it all to flat, mr. Ive will certainly like it and sell it as minimalism".
Bleh
Either way, I hope the apps will soon enough follow the trend, so we will - at least - have a consistent UI.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
They actually made the system font worse in DP7 - sigh...
Way too thin, light and jaggy on non-retina displays for my taste.

Mr Todhunter

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Third planet from the Sun
Not the default iCloud folders but...

Yes I see what you mean. Are those the default iCloud folders?

I've changed all the yosemite folder icons with a set I had. The default folder was just grey. ICloud somehow did the trick of placing the app icons (keynote, pages. etc.) on the plain grey folders, thus creating the folders you see in the screnshot.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
I've changed all the yosemite folder icons with a set I had. The default folder was just grey. ICloud somehow did the trick of placing the app icons (keynote, pages. etc.) on the plain grey folders, thus creating the folders you see in the screnshot.

Interesting, the overlay makes for a nice touch. I use folders from Orion currently on 10.9. I've only experimented a little with 10.10 so far.

The Orion folder icons can be found at;

http://mac.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php/eba47f09d2454935f0235e358d8a7102/540648aa/11115/0/1

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I would personally bet that dark mode is removed in the RTM build. Either that, or it will be moved into the accessibility features panel.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I'm really quite disappointed at Apple's development pace, what with their nearly infinite resources and all.

Dark Mode devolved from being a system-wide recoloring to a Menu Bar+Dock+Spotlight recoloring yet it STILL looks quite unfinished 3 months later.

Opening the Safari sidebar STILL has graphical issues in the transition and performance with transparency is generally pretty awful during transitions (see: Mission Control).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.