Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gajda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2014
I am planning to buy an invisible shield from Zagg for my iPhone 6. I have seen that Zagg offers two different kinds of shields – a HDX and a Glass shield. I have tried to figure out the differences between the HDX and the Glass but Zagg does not provide much information.

Can you help me which shield to choose?

Last edited:

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I have the glass version for the 6 but there is edge lift everywhere. I would recommend having a professional install it so they can keep swapping as needed. I wish I knew what the hdx was, I think it is pet and only has a hardness of about 4 and May scratch easily.

Can someone please tell me about the hdx please?

jnick

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
NY
Out of all of the research I've done, everyone seems to love the HDX. One of my family members picked one up that I will be installing this weekend. I can post pictures and a small review on it should no one do so before I install it.

Chefelvis

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I went with the hdx screen protector. It offers a little more protection but has more rubbery feel to it. The glass one is very smooth but can chip and crack.

jdecosta

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
I have the Zagg Glass on my iPhone 5 and iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 version feels thiner and I have also noticed that the edges on the 6 version will crack easy. I have already had to do 3 replacements through their lifetime warranty.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I've used zagg glass on a lot of other phones and love it. But it's horrible on the iPhone 6 plus because the edges don't sit good. I recently had a full body hdx zagg installed and my local mall and I love it. Stay away from the glad unless the edges not sitting don't bother you. It drives me nuts !

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
So my original zagg glass purchased 20 Sept had edge lift on all four corners from a perfect install (using a suction cup to align). I called in to have it swapped and asked them about the edge and they said that it is just a defect and can be resolved with the swap. I'll post when I reapply.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
HDX has slightly more coverage, not much difference though from the glass.

I got the glass. The HDX feels too rubbery when using the phone.

Feels like glass except when I rub my nail against it, then it feels slightly rubbery.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
So the HDX is not a PET film, just a higher quality of the original. I'd go for it, but I think I'd wait until they release one that covers more of the screen if they do, or look for someone else who does. I'm also looking at the iloome and the Amzer as I love the glass feel.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Go to their site and watch HDX videos. They drop a metal ball on it and it absorbs the impact.

neile45

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2011
While I would not drop a metal ball on it, I do believe the hdx is strong. I got a full body cover, put it on my phone before I used it. It does not cover the edges, but I dropped the phone a few minutes ago, on the screen, from about 3 feet, onto ceramic tile floor :eek:and it's fine, thank goodness!

And, it does have a rubbery feel to it, but I'm fine with it for a little protection, so I can keep a case off of this beaut!. Though I know that it will give little protection compared to a good case.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
So my original zagg glass purchased 20 Sept had edge lift on all four corners from a perfect install (using a suction cup to align). I called in to have it swapped and asked them about the edge and they said that it is just a defect and can be resolved with the swap. I'll post when I reapply.

Since they admitted to a "defect" on the lifting edges did you still have to pay the $5.99 for the replacement shipping?

Mine started to come up around the home button and was snagging my pocket so I took it screen off. The closest Zagg kiosk is 50 miles away was gonna wait till next month when I pick up the 6+ so I can get them both Zagged...

WalterSobchak

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Zagg glass

I have the zagg glass on mine and so far it's all I could ever ask for. I do have the corners of mine kept securely in place with an otterbox though.

My wife just had a zagg glass installed with an elago slim case so I will have to inspect hers for edge lifting.

I cannot speak on the feel of the hdx but the glass feels fantastic. If the glass fails I may try the hdx.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I have the zagg glass on mine and so far it's all I could ever ask for. I do have the corners of mine kept securely in place with an otterbox though.

My wife just had a zagg glass installed with an elago slim case so I will have to inspect hers for edge lifting.

I cannot speak on the feel of the hdx but the glass feels fantastic. If the glass fails I may try the hdx.

I'm thinking of the HDX as a backup...possibly as primary when they develop one that's not "case friendly." The edge lift should be obvious.

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I bought the glass one for my plus. It's awesome was very very very to install. Keep in mind previous ones I always just had someone else install it. They have made it much easier to install now.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I bought the glass one for my plus. It's awesome was very very very to install. Keep in mind previous ones I always just had someone else install it. They have made it much easier to install now.

I went to BB again to check to see if someone had the glass install and sure enough, no edge lift like mine. Zagg is sending out a replacement and BB said they would install that provided I bring the new package. That's the plan now so if it is defective again, they can go through their supply until it is done right.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
I am really really impressed with the HDX. I purchased the Full Body set from AT&T just for the back protector. I had a Spigen crystal on the front and I got a big scratch in that so I decided to try the Zagg. I have never liked the wet install type of protectors and considered this just to be a dry version of that. It is not. Its like Zagg made a combination of glass, plastic and their original material. It was the easiest install I have done. It went on like their glass protectors but was very easy to lift to remove dust like a plastic protector. The feel is in between glass and plastic but leaning more heavily to glass. There is no orange peel or anything of that sort. It covers over the edge of the screen borders and the cutouts are decent. Not as tight as the Spigen but still ok. It does not have a cutout for the FFC. Again I am very impressed at how far they have come.

awtryau89

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Do you have to go to a kiosk to install it or will Best Buy or At&t do it? I'm terrible at it.

If you are talking the glass version, I have installed them and been able to get dust out from under them by carefully lifting with a sharp edge. Still if you can get them installed at a retailer and they will guarantee the install, its probably worth it. The HDX is a breeze though. The template makes is very easy to get it perfectly centered and it is as easy as any screen protector I have every tried to lift and get dust out from under.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I was just at Best Buy looking at the Zagg protectors. I went with the Hd, as I heard the HDX felt very rubbery. I had them do the install. He got dust under the screen so went for a replacement. He was out of the HD's so upgraded me to the Glass for free. He went through 2 of these before he installed it perfectly. Best $8 I ever spent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.