Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bense27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Clinton, NY
I was upgrading from iLife 05 to 06 today, so I went and deleted all the 05 apps. but iTunes wouldn't delete because it said "ituneshelper" is in use. So I went to the ActivityMonitor and quit the process and then i was able to delete it. So then I installed iLife 06 and everythitng worked fine except for when i tried to open itunes, i got a message saying "Cannot be opened. iTunes is damaged or incomplete". So i tried totally deleting it again and then downloaded it off of apple.com. As I was going through the installation process, I got a message saying, "There is nothing to be installed." (as if iTunes was already on the computer or something, but it wasn't)

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

Anything would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

bense.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
bense27 said:

i had to go to Library>receipts>and delete the iTunesX.pkg file
This is to be expected. The .pkg file in the Receipts folder tells the OS that iTunes is installed and does not need to be reinstalled.

Sean Hogan

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
iTunes no longer works and I can't download a new one.

I was cleaning up my desktop, and I accidentally threw away the dmg file for iTunes. Now, when I click to open iTunes, the itunes sign turns into a white sheet with an A at the bottom and it says on screen "cannot open because file is damaged or incomplete" but whenever I try to download it again it either opens in excel as a long script or says there is no application to run it.
When I search iTunes in spotlight the same symbol with the A comes up.
How can I get iTunes back??

Thank you
Sean Hogan

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Sean Hogan said:
I was cleaning up my desktop, and I accidentally threw away the dmg file for iTunes. Now, when I click to open iTunes, the itunes sign turns into a white sheet with an A at the bottom and it says on screen "cannot open because file is damaged or incomplete" but whenever I try to download it again it either opens in excel as a long script or says there is no application to run it.
When I search iTunes in spotlight the same symbol with the A comes up.
How can I get iTunes back??

Thank you
Sean Hogan
Download iTunes from Apple and use Pacifist, open it, click open package, select the iTunes installer and then use Pacifist to install the main iTunes bundle with it. Then iTunes should work fine.

Sean Hogan

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
Thanks but,

Thank you for the advice but unfortunatly my "safari" application has also dissapeared, so after I downloaded pacifist, my internet explorer and mozilla firefox could not accest the page to download itunes, on the apple site, and I can't download Safari from anywhere.
:confused:

Sean Hogan

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah,

I think safari was thrown out, pacifist is working but what restore disks are you talking about?

Sean Hogan

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah I bought the computer new and the CD's I have are "iMac G5, additional software and apple hardware test" and "iMac G5, Mac OS X install disk 2".

MCBaby24

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
I can't reinstall either...

I tried to update my itunes and it wouldn't let me the installing process would always crash at the configuring installation part... So I deleted everything itunes related and its still doing it... I dont know what Im supposed to do. Any help?

tSygna

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
i have a big problem with iTunes on my new mac book air and need some help please. im a first time mac user by the way, but have had an iphone 4 since july.

after updating my software i tried synching my jailbroken and unlocked iphone 4 but it keeps freezing. it actually eventually read my iphone 4 so i could see the files on my iphone 4, but when i try to access my music or movies it freezes itunes again.

so, i tried to revert to itunes 9.2.1 like various online guides advice by doing the following:

1. Delete the following files in the iTunes application in /Applications folder
2. Delete com.apple.iTunes.plist located in ~/Library/Preferences (this is the library folder inside your user folder)
3. Delete iTunes.pkg located in /Library/Receipts (this is the library folder at the root level of your startup drive)
4. iTunesX.pkg which is located in /Library/Receipts

i could do steps 1 and 2 okay, but i couldnt find iTunes.pkg or iTunesX.pkg. when i go to /Library/Receipts theres nothing there except BSD.pkg, db, and InstallHistory.plist. even though i couldnt find the files in steps 3 and 4, i decided to try to uninstall anyway and i was able to do it after i manually shutdown ituneshelper in activity monitor.

however, now when i use spotlight to search for itunes, i still find a lot of files and folders in User/Music/iTunes so does that mean i didnt completely uninstall itunes yet? im currently downloading itunes 9.2.1 again, when it downloads will i be able to just install it, or do i need to still uninstall some other files first?

by the way, why do i have to delete the program itself, plus all these other specific files scattered throughout the hard drive? is it always like that, or is this is a special situation?

thanks a lot, i really appreciate it!

Last edited:

tSygna

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
@misterme: thanks for that but your reply wasnt helpful at all, and in fact was rather childish and rude. the fact that i live in foreign country and have to jailbreak and unlock my iphone if i want to use it here has nothing to do with downgrading itunes. it was merely backstory to give some reference. not everybody lives in countries where iphone are supported and readily available, and not everybody has experiences using macs...so please dont be so ethnocentric.

if anybody could offer any insight in how to uninstall and reinstall itunes that would be greatly appreciated. im just trying to learn how to use macs and get this done, thanks.

tSygna

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
i just tried installing 9.2.1 and everything installed properly, but when i started itunes this error window popped up and itunes doesn't start:

"The file"iTunes Library" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes."

any ideas? thanks a lot!

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
It has nothing to do with ethnocentrism. It has to do with you wondering why iTunes freezes when you've jailbroken it.

Try renaming library.itl to library.old.

tSygna

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
edit: if you need to uninstall itunes just go here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1224

@mackilroy: thanks for the tip, but couldnt you just help me without snide comments like that? seriously i dont understand why? anyway i never said "i wonder why itunes freezes with my jailbroken iphone 4" did i? no i didnt, i just explained my predicament using itunes 10, and then asked a question which had nothing to do with my jailbroken iphone 4 whatsoever, but only with how to downgrade to itunes 9.2.1. of course i understand why a jailbroken iphone 4 might not work properly with itunes. im not a completely idiot, im just a new mac user who wants to learn the ropes. however ive been using my jailbroken iphone 4 with itunes flawlessly until now, which is why i wanted to revert back to an older version of itunes, but needed help doing so.

anyway i successfully reverted to 9.2.1 no thanks to mackilroy or misterme. i got some help from people at work who didnt get all hot and bothered about jailbroken iphone 4's because, like me, they dont live in the usa and dont have the luxury of using "legitimate" hardware...

--

anyone else whos having a similar problem, i did the following to revert to itunes 9.2.1:

1. delete itunes application from the applications folder (click and drag the icon to the garbage bin)
2. delete the file named "com.apple.iTunes.plist" which can be found by opening finder and navigating to user/library/preferences
3. delete the itunes folder which can be found by opening finder and navigating to user/music/
4. download and install itunes 9.2.1

a few notes: i couldnt find the files mentioned in steps 3 and 4 of the initial directions i posted a few posts above, but it didnt seem to be a problem. also be aware that i hadnt downloaded or imported any songs yet either, so there was basically nothing to erase except the program itself.

--

@mackilroy and misterme, seriously this is last time i come here for help. i dont understand your sense of arrogance. trying to make me feel inferior because i use a jailbroken device... neither of you should bother replying youll just be wasting your time because im not going to use this website anymore.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.